Question. What's Next For Nhlpa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAKUS*

Let's say for argument sake you are B.Goodenow what is your next move? How long can you wait before returning to the negociation table? What leverage do you have if any? What is your "end game" ?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
OTTSENS said:
Let's say for argument sake you are B.Goodenow what is your next move? How long can you wait before returning to the negociation table? What leverage do you have if any? What is your "end game" ?

What IS his next move... He still ain't got a first move!

What SHOULD be his next move... Knock down his thing with the cross on its hat on his board!

When SHOULD he go back to the table... Uhm.. Right NOW!

When WILL he go back to the table... Uhm.. Not untill NEXT FALL

What leverage WILL Bob think he has.. All the leverage untill next fall!

What leverage DOES he have... Little to none!

What DOES Bob want to do.. Screw the NHL and re-instate the old CBA after an impass(win in court)

What could this mean..?

We're Boned!

:lol

:dunno:

AlexandreDaigle

Oct 9, 2003
Honestly, there is little to no end game.

Goodenow counted on the owners folding under the pressure of a deadline or their unity collapsing.

Now he is counting on the owners to fold under the pressure of a deadline (for ticketholders, the draft, the start of the season.... or the cancellation date of 2006 ( :shakehead )) or their unity collapsing.

Basically the endgame can be summed up in one word:

Attrition

:shakehead

The only actual tactical endgame would be if the NHL does something the NHLPA feels it can take to the NLRB or to the courts.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
AlexandreDaigle said:
Honestly, there is little to no end game.

Goodenow counted on the owners folding under the pressure of a deadline or their unity collapsing.

Now he is counting on the owners to fold under the pressure of a deadline (for ticketholders, the draft, the start of the season.... or the cancellation date of 2006 ( :shakehead )) or their unity collapsing.

Basically the endgame can be summed up in one word:

Attrition

:shakehead

The only actual tactical endgame would be if the NHL does something the NHLPA feels it can take to the NLRB or to the courts.

The old CBA is still sort of in effect except the no strike/lockout clause is lifted.

The NHL might try and run the draft as per normal. QO might be issued. Who knows.....

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
OTTSENS said:

I would do exactly what he's doing right now. He offered a cap so that IMPASSE IMPLEMENTATION would be hard to win on court for the owners.

As of today the players got nothing to lose until the owners offered something worth mentioning to the 700 players. Right now , the owners just didn't want to negotiate, they just want to win a PR with the fans which is good for ............NOTHING. It doesn't resolve anything.

My move ? make the owners look bad.

How ? by letting them putting their scabs & see that they would lost more than they actually did with the old CBA.

Some people look the NFL 1985 case but those who look back know that the NFL did the ''scab'' thing because they each receive 20,000,000$ from the TV which is.....................20,000,000$ more than the NHL.

So what if they charge people 20$ instead of 100$ , do they think it's gonna be a sellout with all the Doug Janik & Martin Sonnenberg of this world ? Personnaly I don't think so.

The owners WON ! but it seems not enough & some extremist on this board think it's ok & justified & that's fine.

The owners never intended to have a season, no matter how many AWFUL offer the PA's has done, it's just excuses to not see what the owners have done.

So I would let Bettman misguided the B.O.G & his basketball fans until some owners realize that you won't make the NHL succesfull by shutting down the good markets because Jeremy Jacobs & some small markets want more than a level playing field.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I have no clue what Goodenow's end game is . . . but do not be too hard on me, neither does he.

I can however tell you how this will end. Eventually the players will accept a Cap that is linked to revenues. The deal that they do accept will be much less than what they could have gotten. The only question is how long it will take before they do this, and that answer will determine how much they end up getting as hockey revenues certainly are not going to grow the longer they wait.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
me2 said:
The old CBA is still sort of in effect except the no strike/lockout clause is lifted.

The NHL might try and run the draft as per normal. QO might be issued. Who knows.....
NO CBA .. NO Draft

All sides have confirmed that many times .. Its illegal and the CSB even said it will not happen..

You can't conduct business while in lockout status ..that effects the party you have locked out ..

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Russian Fan said:
Some people look the NFL 1985 case but those who look back know that the NFL did the ''scab'' thing because they each receive 20,000,000$ from the TV which is.....................20,000,000$ more than the NHL.

What is the value of all the local TV Hockey Revenue for each team? I did hear that the Maple Leafs have local TV contracts with TSN, Sportsnet worth a lot (2o million), Ottawa like 5 million etc., Vancouver 10 million?

Also I am sure Hockey Night In Canada pays the NHL big money to broadcast... could the teams not share all this revenue in the "new" NHL with replacement players. I am sure the Rangers have a more lucrative Tv contract than the Edmonton Oilers?...

Either way if replacement players come in, I will be cheering for the Vancouver Canucks and I am sure many will be watching and going to games... we love hockey in Canada its an event the NHL... I think the new NHL would share revenues during this short period to ensure the "less successful" markets are compensated.

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The Messenger said:
NO CBA .. NO Draft

All sides have confirmed that many times .. Its illegal and the CSB even said it will not happen..

You can't conduct business while in lockout status ..that effects the party you have locked out ..

but if there is and impasse declared and the owners win... they get to a new CBA... the players strike.. owners hold their draft...

is this not correct? if the players are striking their can still be a draft no?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
If he feels he has leverage on the owners, he won't do anything. 'Make them come to us' seems like it's been the strategy all along. They'll prepare themselves for the different possibilities, including impasse.

Sadly, I think the chances of a resolution soon ended when the players renewed their support for Goodenow. It doesn't seem like their is much urgency from the NHLPA to get any deal done.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Messenger said:
NO CBA .. NO Draft

Expired CBA stays in effect until something kills it off (in BC anyway). Lockout kills the old CBA. I was thinking its only decertification, but I forgot that a lockout or strike can do it.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
The Messenger said:
NO CBA .. NO Draft

Simple solution:

Step 1) End the lockout.

Step 2) Hold a draft.

Step 3) Lock out the players.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
dakota said:
What is the value of all the local TV Hockey Revenue for each team? I did hear that the Maple Leafs have local TV contracts with TSN, Sportsnet worth a lot (2o million), Ottawa like 5 million etc., Vancouver 10 million?

Also I am sure Hockey Night In Canada pays the NHL big money to broadcast... could the teams not share all this revenue in the "new" NHL with replacement players. I am sure the Rangers have a more lucrative Tv contract than the Edmonton Oilers?...

Either way if replacement players come in, I will be cheering for the Vancouver Canucks and I am sure many will be watching and going to games... we love hockey in Canada its an event the NHL... I think the new NHL would share revenues during this short period to ensure the "less successful" markets are compensated.
There's a big difference between local TV contracts (negotiated by the team for their local market only) and a national TV contract (negotiated by the league for all teams). The national only TV contract works very well for the NFL given the few number of games each team plays.
The NFL has a national TV contract, and no local TV contract. It's because of this that the TV revenue is split evenly.
With local contracts, what incentive is their for Toronto who negotiated and Florida, Carolina and others?
Funny thing about the Rangers is they actually don't have a "real" TV contract. Ownership of the Rangers falls under MSG which also owns Cablevision which has the MSG Network which shows all Rangers/Knicks games. So in essence, the Rangers own their own TV rights and all Advertising/subscription dollars from this network are fed back up to the parent company then down to the Rangers/Knicks. This is a big part of the problem with players believing that the Rangers actually lost $40 million last year.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
dakota said:
but if there is and impasse declared and the owners win... they get to a new CBA... the players strike.. owners hold their draft...

is this not correct? if the players are striking their can still be a draft no?

Like I said, if they have scabs , will I watch it on TV ? Of course I like hockey.

BUT WILL I PAY FOR IT ? my answer is HELL NO. There's a huge difference between paying & watching scabs and as of today some didn't see the difference.

Of course 95% of the pro-owners will watch scabs but I think it's hypocretical to think some will pay 50-60$ for the good seat in your arena near you to see THE ''LOGO'' & THE ''JERSEY'' of your team.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Russian Fan said:
Like I said, if they have scabs , will I watch it on TV ? Of course I like hockey.

BUT WILL I PAY FOR IT ? my answer is HELL NO. There's a huge difference between paying & watching scabs and as of today some didn't see the difference.

Of course 95% of the pro-owners will watch scabs but I think it's hypocretical to think some will pay 50-60$ for the good seat in your arena near you to see THE ''LOGO'' & THE ''JERSEY'' of your team.
The scab thing is dangerous.
I think it will be popular for a month or so in the big hockey markets as everybody will be exicted to have hockey back. However after a month, I think we'll all quickly realize that watching Lonny Bohonos pass to Clarke Wilm is not quite the same as Sundin to Mogilny and ratings/attendance will drop.
Now, in the struggling hockey markets, good luck getting anybody out to the games. If they weren't coming before, they sure as hell ain't coming to see replacements.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
chiavsfan said:
Why does everyone use Lonny Bohonos in their rants about replacement players. I like Lonny...John Van Buskirk on the other hand...
I think it's because he has a funny name. Although Van Buskirk is kinda funny too.

Tinordi24*

alexmorrison said:
I think it will be popular for a month or so in the big hockey markets as everybody will be exicted to have hockey back. However after a month, I think we'll all quickly realize that watching Lonny Bohonos pass to Clarke Wilm is not quite the same as Sundin to Mogilny and ratings/attendance will drop.
Now, in the struggling hockey markets, good luck getting anybody out to the games. If they weren't coming before, they sure as hell ain't coming to see replacements.

After a month you'll be watching Sundin pass to Gary Roberts so dont worry.

Roenick, Madono and many others wont even wait a week to cross that line!!!

I forsee a few hardliners like Linden and Dumbfool waiting til the last moment because they were behind all this foolishness on the players behalf but no one really wants to see those over the hill scrubs anyway...(Note: I do admire Linden's on the ice play however)

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
ceber said:
Simple solution:

Step 1) End the lockout.

Step 2) Hold a draft.

Ooh, that's interesting. Since the season is cancelled, there's no reason to continue the lockout. Lifting it allows all the regular business to take place, drafting, signing prospects, etc.

Any legal opinions on that?

(I too laugh at the Bohonos stuff. I've paid big money in the past to end up watching Lonny Bohonos and Corey Hirsch in the NHL, I have no problem doing it again :) )

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
alexmorrison said:
The scab thing is dangerous, but something of note...the guys who don't make alot of $$$ play their guts out, and usually offer more entertaining hockey. They have the carrott dangled in front of them that if you play well, you will make more $$$. The established stars of the game that are already making the big $$$ quite often take nights off and do not entertain the way the grinders and muckers do...When watching the NHL some nights I am quite often very dissappointed with Jagr,Modano,Kovalev etc float and not put forth the effort of a Steve Begin or Lonny Bohonos...I think once the boys have made it and they have become fat cat PA mongers, who make multi-millions they don't have the passion or motivation any longer and it shows in their play...The big money earners have quite often forgot about the fans, and that they owe it to the fans to play their heart out night after night in order to be able to collect that Million dollar paycheck...Replacement players will not be as talented, until one of the BOYS from the rich hockey players of NA cross like Elway and Montana did, and then she is all over for Knob Goodenow and Saskin Robbins...and it will look good on them...

Wetcoaster

OTTSENS said:
Leverage? How about these presssure points? The players have already lost this season's salaries so there is little pressure on them to get a deal done now. The owners on the other hand:

April 15, 2005 - ESPN's broadcast option for a further two years is due

June 1, 2005 - two year window to sign 2003 draft choices closes

June/July 2005 - renewals of season tickets and sponsorship renewals for nearly all clubs

June 25-26, 2005 - Entry draft

July 1, 2004 - NHL free agency

July 14, 2005 - Release of the 2005-06 schedule so braodcast rights and arena dates can be firmed up.

July/August 2005 - players signing contracts to play in Europe. Those without NHL contracts (all but 258 players) will be bound for the full season to the clubs in Europe.

September 15, 2005 - NHL camps open.

At this point all the pressure is on the NHL not the players who will not draw a check until next October.

Wetcoaster

dakota said:

You can be certain the TV networks will not be broadcasting the SHL at the same price they broadcast the NHL. It is not the same product.

If replacement players come in you may be cheering for the "Canucks" or facsimiles thereof but they will not be playing in BC.

Wetcoaster

ceber said:
Simple solution:

Step 1) End the lockout.

Step 2) Hold a draft.

Simple solution:

Step 1) End the lockout

Step 2) NHLPA strikes

Step 3) No draft

Status
Not open for further replies.