Question regarding salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
I read this on another message board:

I read that Scott Gomez signed a contract to play for $500 a week.

I don't know how much the NHLPA players in Europe signed for but my logic is this.

If players are accepting these contracts to play outside the NHL, that is their market value.

Why should the NHL pay them anything more than that?

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
getnziggywidit said:

I don't know how much the NHLPA players in Europe signed for but my logic is this.

If players are accepting these contracts to play outside the NHL, that is their market value.

Actually.....I understand what you are saying and I agree. Never thought about it that way.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
getnziggywidit said:
You're right.
They like hockey in Europe.
He's got a point. Depending where you go in Europe, some places pack only a couple thousand in the stands, so the market is different.
And then you have some guys who are getting more: AK Bar Kazan is paying Kovalchuk $3 M for the season, more than he gets in Atlanta.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
ehc73 said:
He's got a point. Depending where you go in Europe, some places pack only a couple thousand in the stands, so the market is different.
And then you have some guys who are getting more: AK Bar Kazan is paying Kovalchuk $3 M for the season, more than he gets in Atlanta.
I see.
Still, the salaries that they unforceably accepted are reflective of what they can make playing hockey outside of the NHL.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
ehc73 said:
Depending where you go in Europe, some places pack only a couple thousand in the stands, so the market is different.
Hey wait a minute, I just thought of Carolina, Florida, New Jersey and the pre-good TB Lightning who used to give tickets away. They typically only pack a few thousand in the stands as well.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
getnziggywidit said:
Hey wait a minute, I just thought of Carolina, Florida, New Jersey and the pre-good TB Lightning who used to give tickets away. They typically only pack a few thousand in the stands as well.

But, you have to remember the NHLPA looks at each franchise as a seperate market, when they should be looking at the whole league as a single market. I guess the way some of the owners throw their money around makes it easy for the NHLPA to take this view.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Yeah!!!

What everyone should do, is stop going to NHL games..watch it on tv if you want, but don't give them your money. Show them for not negociating!!! :dunno:

Feb 12, 2003
joepeps said:
What everyone should do, is stop going to NHL games..watch it on tv if you want, but don't give them your money. Show them for not negociating!!! :dunno:
Well, there's no games now to skip going to, so that's the easy part. When the games resume, it's besides the point that they didn't negotiate in the past because they must have negotiated to get to the games.

That's always the best way to show your support for something, show no financial support. :shakehead

Businessmen listen to paying customers and potential paying customers, by the way.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
joepeps said:

I for one won't buy tickets and then not use them. Sorry makes no sense.

Feb 12, 2003
getnziggywidit said:

I understand your reasoning, however it doesn't compare. The markets of the NHL, SEL, FEL, RSL, AHL, and ECHL are all different.

While guys like Kovalchuk are going to Russia and making more guaranteed money than they did in Atlanta, he still made more in the NHL off of bonuses than he is making with Ak Bars Kazan I would assume.

The thing that really bothers me is how the refs were respectable to not take away jobs from other refs in other leagues. The guys working in other leagues are not making as much money as the pro's, so when they lose their jobs to these pro's it's hurting them more.

It's almost funny how the NHLPA is being painted as greedy through these negotiations. The depth players that largely make up the NHL are many of the players who are speaking out against the NHLPA and for a cap. The players who appear to be keeping the movement going are all going to other hockey teams to play for money and keep in shape. If you think about that whole dynamic, it all makes sense. The NHLPA doesn't care about Madden, Commodore, Riberio -- the NHLPA cares about Brodeur, Forsberg, and Pronger.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
getnziggywidit said:
You're right.
They like hockey in Europe.

When those leagues start pulling down 2 billion-with-a-b dollars in revenue a year, you'll see the salary demands jump right up to NHL levels.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
GoCoyotes said:
While guys like Kovalchuk are going to Russia and making more guaranteed money than they did in Atlanta, he still made more in the NHL off of bonuses than he is making with Ak Bars Kazan I would assume.

Bob McKenzie emphasized that Kovalchuk is making ~$3M net, which means after taxes, expenses and the like. Kovalchuk made just over $1M with Atlanta last season, and even with bonuses, that doesn't include taxes and expenses. So that means AK Bars Kazan is paying him a lot more than $3M if you don't factor in taxes and expenses.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
ehc73 said:
Kovalchuk made just over $1M with Atlanta last season, and even with bonuses, that doesn't include taxes and expenses.

You got a cite for that? Because I don't believe it.

Kovalchuk would have made *base* 1 million, and he surely has a Thornton style bonus that would have paid him millions more.

A reference to Kovalchuk getting a 3.8 million dollar bonus:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040323/nhl_ott1-sun.html

"Kovalchuk ended up earning approximately $14 million over those three years." : http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/8-29-04cba.htm

Feb 12, 2003
PecaFan said:

Kovalchuk would have made *base* 1 million, and he surely has a Thornton style bonus that would have paid him millions more.

"Kovalchuk ended up earning approximately $14 million over those three years." : http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/8-29-04cba.htm
Thank you, my point is made. However, for Kovalchuk to make $3 million clear and free, he would have to earn over $6 million in the NHL I'm sure. But I think the comparison of what Kovalchuk makes in Russia versus the NHL is a weak one, it's not that far off, no matter what the conditions.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
PecaFan said:

I meant base salary of $1 M, sorry for the confusion.
But the government takes its share too ya know. :)

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
ehc73 said:
I meant base salary of $1 M, sorry for the confusion.
But the government takes its share too ya know. :)

Governments get you wherever you are. A friend of mine was an American teaching in college here in BC, hadn't lived for *years* in the US, yet still had to pay US taxes each year on her Canadian earnings.

I expect Kovalchuk will have to pay US taxes on his Russian earnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad