Question - Players going to Europe??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
With the pending lockout, what is ruling with players going to Europe?? Originally, they would be put on prospect list. But what happens when a name like Joe Thornton or Roberto Luongo is involved?? Does this create a double standard??

Just wondering what you guys think and the ruling from Matt?

For my 2cents,

I think if they are only going over there to play hockey and waiting for the season to start, these should play in our league. If they are not like Andreas Dackell, Tommy Salo, then they shouldn't be.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
There's no double standard. If a player is only playing in Europe because of the lockout, he'll still be eligible to play in the HFNHL. In most cases, this distinction is pretty cut and dry.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
As an interesting side-note, what would we do about players who choose to go the WHA. If Brett Hull signs to play in the WHA next year and regardless of the NHL status, he plays out his career in the WHA...what happens?

He's not in the AHL, so he's not in the natural system...but he's also not off in Europe either.

I guess this is more of a hypothetical situation because of the great unknown that is the WHA. But any first thoughts on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->