question from a new goalie

IceTrAiN

Nov 1, 2006
Looking for some input from you guys.. I just registered here but I've been reading posts here for awhile(go flyers!..win something!.. :( ). I use to play roller hockey a few years ago and i'm now getting into ice hockey... i played goal for quite some time in roller so i'm somewhat used to the position, but in terms of gear, everything is a new world for me. I'm going to start hopping in some pickup games and taking a 'learn to play' lesson just for the extra ice time and possibly picking up some pointers, but heres my question. Since I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to gear, what would you recommend? Should I do lots of research about the gear and make my own choices, or should I team up with a really nice guy i met working at the hockey shop by my local rink and have him help me out with gear?? I started stretching alot and I'm saving up to purchase my gear... any other tips you guys could give for me would be awesome. Look forward to talking with you guys.. Thanks.:D

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Goalie equipment is something you just need to like. You got to be comfortable with your equipment (being able to move, up and down etc) Its very hard to try all the kinds since its so expensive. I wore my TPS Xhales until recently...they were older but I was used to them, they were broken in so I moved easily. I prefer out of the equipment out there now...Brians's. Its not a big name but the pads are light, and comfortable. The company builds out of a small plant and its only goalie equipment. The main equipment out there now is RBK...I personally don't care for it.

What did you wear in roller hockey? I recently switched from Ice to Roller....wow is it harder lol I went and played in NARCH in Mississauga.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
You should do a lot or research AND see if you can find someone that has been playing longer. Don't just expect someone else to do the work for you and don't be too scared to ask for advice.

IceTrAiN

Nov 1, 2006
What did you wear in roller hockey? I recently switched from Ice to Roller....wow is it harder lol I went and played in NARCH in Mississauga.

To be honest, I don't remember. Back then I just cared about playing, never payed attention to gear...plus it was awhile go when I was younger so gear wasn't a big thing to me then....but now.. the whole puck = hard + fast = need protection.. :P

Thank ndening for the website, i'll do some research on there.. Do you guys think the guy from the shop would be a valuable resource, or is he just going to try to sap my wallet?

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Honestly, gear selection help from others online is nearly worthless except for heads up a heads up on shoddy gear. The best thing you can do is keep trying on gear. I hope thats an option for you. No one can tell you what is going to feel best to you. There is no such thing as "best". There is just too much personal perspective. IF your suited up in senior or senior/pro protection isnt a big concern. I assume your going to be wanting gear that you will have for some time? IF you go with PRO gear it is typically made in Canada NOT CHINA. Almost all makers are now using CHINA to manufacture their senior and below models. SOme simply stuff the gear in Canada and call it MADE IN CANADA...th gear may be a lot cheaper but its not worth the shorter life and reduced protective qualities. What i will tell you is that Simmons gear is pretty darned good and durable as hell. I still have never liked the feel of most of their catch gloves. At least with Simmons they will take back any unused gear with no fee. Typically they pay th shipping to you so you only have to pay return. If in the USA ask for the return address for the states so there isnt a brokers fee! You can consult and order with out fear of getting stuck, as long as you dont get the stuff dirty or take it to the ice. In any case, the MATRIX jock is hands down the best protection on the market and one of the most comfortable. The waist strap is a HUGE PAIN to adjust...

as for the guy in the shop..if he pushes a specific model at you, he might be but if the guy is also a goalie then your most likely to get honest input. Bottom line is you have to agree and simply price check around. Most locals will match any advertised price. If he is willing...you cant go wrong.

Last edited:

lukin10

Dec 26, 2005
i was wondering if anybody could point me to any good roller goalie pad sites. i get my stuff now from epuck and i have pfs 1000's and i'm looking to upgrade to something better. any info on sites would be nice thanks.

IceTrAiN

Nov 1, 2006
:handclap: thanks for the info MikeD... This weekend I will probably head to the shop and try on some gear and see what works for me.. the guy at the store also said he would order anything i needed for me at no extra charge so we'll see how that works out.

IceTrAiN

Nov 1, 2006
:yo: well I had a nice long talk with the shop guy(hes the owner) and hes working out some good deals with me since I'm dropping so much loot in his shop... I went with a full 4.8 prodigy set that he is going to order for me...as well as the vapor 14 goal skate... c/a i haven't picked up yet but probably going with the itech elite(i think thats the name of the particular model i was looking at)... any comments???

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Im not a fan of Itech goalie equipment...their helmets are the best though.

How much cash you end up dropping especially since the owner is ordering it?

expensivedirt

Apr 28, 2004
Vancouver
I don't want to rain on your parade but 4.8 prodigies are fairly low end. Anything 4.8 are not really what you want with you for a long period of time.

If you could, at least change the pads to Itech 7.8 X factors. They have been sexcellent for me so far.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
For a CA check out the Vaughn Epic. IT is one solid piece of Body armor that can be adjusted to give that "custom made for you" fit. Its pricey but it will prob be the last CA you will ever buy.

IceTrAiN

Nov 1, 2006
What are your thoughts on the new Itech Elite Pro C/A??? I searched the forums and didn't really find anything mentioning that particular c/a.. Thoughts?? Buler?:D

lukin10

Dec 26, 2005
i've narrowed my desicion down to either mission helium lites or motion lites. can anybody comment on which they feel is better and why?

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Motion are last year's or the model from a couple years ago. The Helium Lites are supposed to be a bit better than the Motion Lites though, but Motions might be cheaper.

VisionQuest*

Not sure how I feel about mission's ice hockey goal gear. some of it looks ok.
For your first set, I dont think you can go wrong with just about anything, provided its comfortable.
Things not to skimp $$ on;
Cup
Mask
C&A

You can get away with going budget on the rest.

canadian_man_44

Oct 31, 2006
Moncton, NB, Canada
Personally I would go for something like the CCM Blockade or the Reebok Pro. Don't even think of buying Tour gear for ice hockey, unless you don't mind buying a new set every couple years.

State_Of_Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
IceTrAiN:
Don't know if it's too late but here are a couple of ideas. Depending on how old you are (my advice is if you are a youth player) you may want to approach your local hockey association. Some of you local (Minnesota) youth hockey associations provide goalie equipment. I just picked up everything that is needed for an upper mite from my association to use until March. Everything that was provided was brand new and still in the bags, which isn't the greatest thing because you have to brake it in. My son skates out, but is interested in goalie. Associations are always looking for goalies so they are open to providing the equipment to get the goalies, they also know how expensive it is. This may be an approach to take especially if the association has an assortment of equipment manufactures. A lot of the equipment is donated and used so it is broken in and again you may get exposed to a variety of manufactures.

If you aren't a youth player then good luck to you because you will be dropping a lot of coin to find the right thing. Good luck to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad