OT: Question about Toronto crowds.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I'm not here to troll or brag or anything like that, it's just a question that a lot of Montrealers have wondered for a long time.

How come at most Leafs and TFC matches, tickets are sold out but they always start empty?

Is it a traffic issue or corporate tickets that no client wanted? The middle part of the ACC is always half-full and BMW field is flat out empty for the 1st half?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
A little bit of both. It's tough getting to that area by 7ish. Lets say you're done work at 5, don't get home till 6 then you have to drive downtown or take the subway. Even if you live near a subway station, it's still at least 45 mins downtown for most people, that's on a good day. The 401,427,Gardiner...all a nightmare all day. Getting to the ACC is pretty easy by subway, union station goes into the arena but again, getting there takes far too long. The exhibition grounds are a nightmare to get to(where TFC plays). There's constant traffic issues in this city at all times because our subway system is a joke compared to other cities. As far as corporate seats, yes, plenty of those people don't show up unless the teams actually "in it".

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Traffic is part of it, definitely. Traffic down the Gardiner and DVP and any major roads downtown are absolutely ****ed just before that seeing how it's rush hour. It's also the long concession lines and long ass bathroom lines, as well as the fact that the corporate clients take their sweet ass time in line, seeing as they are too busy reading Wall Street Journal and not giving two ***** about the game. Same reason why at the start of every period, you see empty seats.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The Platinum Lounge below the seats is one of the major reasons. It isn't just that people want to be there more, it is that you are eating and drinking great food/boor/booze (for free) and then the game starts. Well if you aren't in your seat by puck drop (very easy to miss in the 2nd and 3rd) you are SOL until a whistle. I haven't missed a face off at a Leafs game, but at Raps games I am not in as big of a rush.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The Platinum Lounge below the seats is one of the major reasons. It isn't just that people want to be there more, it is that you are eating and drinking great food/boor/booze (for free) and then the game starts. Well if you aren't in your seat by puck drop (very easy to miss in the 2nd and 3rd) you are SOL until a whistle. I haven't missed a face off at a Leafs game, but at Raps games I am not in as big of a rush.

Last year I had platinum seats and completely forgot we had our own bathrooms and bar. For the first two periods I was going up with all the average people, then after I realized I could go down, a much shorter route and it felt like I was an Irishmen on the titanic going into first class. The people who sit in those seats, for the most part, are there more so for business and the game comes second. Hence, why it's so empty to start periods.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Was in a "private" box seat twice with my wife's company. Even with "free" pizza the night sucked. Too many suits and not enough jerseys. Too much schmoozing and stupid introductions. I wanted to go home and watch the game on my plasma with Joe Bowen calling it.

The obligatory clapping after a rare goal being scored felt forced and artificial.

The actual game was far behind everything else. Half the people wouldn't even know the score at any given point in time. This wasn't just our box either seemed like the whole area was this way.

Having been around the Bell centre before/after seemed like a real hockey atmosphere. Man does it pain me to say that....:cry::laugh:

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I'm not here to troll or brag or anything like that, it's just a question that a lot of Montrealers have wondered for a long time.

How come at most Leafs and TFC matches, tickets are sold out but they always start empty?

Is it a traffic issue or corporate tickets that no client wanted? The middle part of the ACC is always half-full and BMW field is flat out empty for the 1st half?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Part of it is that I think you're not allowed to go to your seat during gameplay. When there's a stoppage you see a herd of people going to their seats.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I will volunteer myself as seat filler similar to the Springfield Pride Awards.

250px-Seat_filler_2.png

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Yes, in fact the ACC (and JLA) say its a safety issue. If you miss puck drop, you're not getting into the plats, until the next stoppage.

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
Suits........it all about the suits.............most arenas have the same problem.........1% folks ........come late and leave early...............

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Was in a "private" box seat twice with my wife's company. Even with "free" pizza the night sucked. Too many suits and not enough jerseys. Too much schmoozing and stupid introductions. I wanted to go home and watch the game on my plasma with Joe Bowen calling it.

The obligatory clapping after a rare goal being scored felt forced and artificial.

The actual game was far behind everything else. Half the people wouldn't even know the score at any given point in time. This wasn't just our box either seemed like the whole area was this way.

If you're going to a privite box I'd expect there's a reason for it. Most likely it's for a reason other than the game itself. So I have no issue with people shmoozing and being distracted from the game in a private box. That's what they're for. Has nothing to do with atmosphere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad