Question About The 95 Cup

frankthefrowner

Jan 13, 2007
Nobody seems to ever bring up the fact that it was a shortened season. But does it Ha've any effect on how you feel about the cup victory?

I'm a negative person I guess and with the rangers being one of the favs this year I question my ability to enjoy it. For instance I'm a big met fan and was happy about Johan getting the no hitter. But deep down whenever my fellow Mets fans bring it up I can't help but think about that ball the in reality hit the chalk ans should have been a hit.

So do you guys get that feeling about the 95 cup or did you stop cAring cause you won 2 more.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Nobody seems to ever bring up the fact that it was a shortened season. But does it Ha've any effect on how you feel about the cup victory?

I'm a negative person I guess and with the rangers being one of the favs this year I question my ability to enjoy it. For instance I'm a big met fan and was happy about Johan getting the no hitter. But deep down whenever my fellow Mets fans bring it up I can't help but think about that ball the in reality hit the chalk ans should have been a hit.

So do you guys get that feeling about the 95 cup or did you stop cAring cause you won 2 more.
It used to be brought up all the time. "Half a cup." "Not really a championship." By bitter Rangers fans. That stopped being something that could be used after 2000, but you'll to this day hear things like "2 and a half cups."

The answer is no, it doesn't change a thing. In many ways it's still the most satisfying of the three championships.

apice3*

Not sure if a troll attempt or if Ranger fans are planning on hanging a banner ths year.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
:laugh: @ nobody ever seems to bring it up. I still see stupid 2.5 cup posts sometimes.

Everybody is going to have to win 16 playoff games to win the cup, nobody, except jealous people, will care how many regular season games were played to get to the playoffs.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
It used to be brought up all the time. "Half a cup." "Not really a championship." By bitter Rangers fans. That stopped being something that could be used after 2000, but you'll to this day hear things like "2 and a half cups."

The answer is no, it doesn't change a thing. In many ways it's still the most satisfying of the three championships.

This sums it up.

And I've heard Rangers fans pulling out the 2.5 cups/half a cup thing as recently as the last 24-48 hours. Like they won't drop that notion in a heartbeat if the Rangers are really making a run for it this year...

apice3*

I wonder if Ranger fans consider three of their Cups as 1/5th Cups since there were only 6 teams in existence at the time.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I wonder if Ranger fans consider three of their Cups as 1/5th Cups since there were only 6 teams in existence at the time.

Was about to post exactly this. Such an assanine concept. So, when college football goes to a 4 team playoff, will every national title beforehand become 1/2 a title?

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey

I know Rangers fans that said a lot of the Canadiens cups were BS because they only had to beat 5 teams for a number of them. I then asked why the Rangers had so few in that same span. Depending on whenever this conversation was, I'm sure the reply I got was either "lololololol the kings beat you guys" or "lolololol brodeur is fat."

frankthefrowner

Jan 13, 2007
Really not a troll attempt just a legit concern of mine. Not that I think they'll do it. I have a hard time believing it could happen. But I feel like even if they did I'd be like aw crap it was half a season.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Really not a troll attempt just a legit concern of mine. Not that I think they'll do it. I have a hard time believing it could happen. But I feel like even if they did I'd be like aw crap it was half a season.
No, you won't (if you won). The playoffs are the playoffs. They're still 16 games. When it comes to a championship, that is what matters, not the regular season.

If it were a truncated playoffs, I'd feel differently.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey

That thought may pop into your head at one point or another were it to play out. But at the end of the day, the same banner goes up. Every team played the same number of games, the team would have to win the same number of playoff games, etc. It really doesn't change anything. Still requires playing an entire regular season and playoffs. It just so happens the regular season is shorter than normal.

frankthefrowner

Jan 13, 2007

I was two young to enjoy 94 and well the other 3 are whatever to me it'd be like a 29 year old Yankee fame spouting off about 20 out of the 27 championships. Assinen

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Here's what I think. If you win a Cup in a half season what's the big deal? Someone's gotta win it all! You're not gonna hope your team tanks or knocks itself off in the first round just because you think it might be a tainted win if you win the Stanley Cup in a shortened season right?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I never thought so because they had to get by 4 strong teams with no home-ice advantage in any of the series.

Detroit was a heavy favorite in the Finals and the Devils swept them.
This was after defeating hated rival Philly with Lindros and the Legion of Doom line.

The '95 team was very good, it was not a fluke.

As long as they play 4 playoff rounds it is legit.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
My typical response is two things:

1. The Devils, as Ranger fans know, were 1 year out of being in game 7 of the ECF, so it's not as if a follow up Cup was just some middling squad who rode their luck to 16 wins.

2. It means just as much to the players, why shouldn't it mean as much to me, a fan?

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Oh dear lord.

Fine, no I don't feel like the 95 cup is any more or less meaningful than the other 2 aside from it being our first.

Every team plays under the same circumstances and it's still takes 16 wins in the playoffs.

frankthefrowner

Jan 13, 2007

1. The Devils, as Ranger fans know, were 1 year out of being in game 7 of the ECF, so it's not as if a follow up Cup was just some middling squad who rode their luck to 16 wins.

2. It means just as much to the players, why shouldn't it mean as much to me, a fan?

Yea there are some parallels here aside from making it a game 7.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

For the Rangers fans that were saying "half a cup" back in 1995, are they now hoping the Rangers will not make the playoffs this season?

I don't think so.

Plus how many games were played in the 20's/30's/40's? I doubt 82.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No you are all right.

What about the Santana no hitter am I being a moron?

Why? Because the ball hit the chalk or whatever happened?(I didn't follow the Santana no hitter so I don't know)

It's kinda like the post saving the goalie in a shutout which actually seems to happen almost every game in a shutout.

No hitters are more rare than shutouts though I guess.

apice3*

Once the playoffs start, no one is going to give a **** that the season started in January.

Until the annual Bettman booing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad