Question about goalie throat protection

Fenton

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto
I have a simple, noob question about throat protection for goalies.

Are goalies expected to wear both throat protection (bib) and throat protection (throat dangler) attached to the mask or is it one or the other?

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
There's no requirement for either.

He's right, but the bib is DEFINITELY recommended, During open hockey I saw a goalie take a slapshot right in the collarbone, it wasn't pretty and left quite a welt. He's lucky it didn't break.

Fenton

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto
There's no requirement for either.

The video of Clint Malarchuk prevents me from not wearing any protection...

But thanks for the heads up, I am starting goalie school in the next few weeks. I just want to make sure I get all the right necessities outside of my pads, gloves, helmet, etc..

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Using both won't hurt...as sometime your dangler can get caught or pop up at the wrong moment and leaves your neck open. If you go for one or the other, get a Maltese gel throat protector, you'll get lotta good reviews.

fullmetal2405

Feb 3, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
The video of Clint Malarchuk prevents me from not wearing any protection...

But thanks for the heads up, I am starting goalie school in the next few weeks. I just want to make sure I get all the right necessities outside of my pads, gloves, helmet, etc..

I'd suggest the dangler. That's all I wear. I think the bib is too uncomfortable and the dangler provides plenty of protection.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
The dangler offers marginal puck protection and INCREASES the risk of a skate cut. It acts to direct the skate into the neck area. While USA may not have a requirement now, you can expect there will be in 2009 with the rewrite. Most youth associations do require a neck guard other than a lexan dangler. I doubt your camp will require the bib.

My Son and I have worn the maltese combo for about 4 or 5 years now. Can be put in freezer for roller or hot weather. I have taken one shot that hit the throat since I got it. About65 MPH that just clipped the bottom of my chin drop and went right into the throat, front dead center. Dropped me for about a minute while I was sucking for air but recovered and back to playing...No soreness the next dayand not even a bruise.

My youngest had a player inentionally drop, lift a skate and plow into him. He had dropped to cover a puck that the player was chasing down. Whne he covered it the player was at least 15-20 feet away. Dropped into a skate first slide, bent the down leg and lifted the other. The skate caught him right in the side of his neck in nearly the exact spot Malarchuk was cut. Drove him into the post and then post and him back into the end boards. I was standing there behind the glass as he lay thare head turned towards the boards. The Refs wouldnt even get close, calling over the team coaches. Both teams staff rushed off the bench as the rink went totally silent. Attempting to almost run to him, I signalled them to slow down, hes OK. I could see him laying there smiling....Player was ejected from the game and the serious nature of the intent to injure (+ a history) cost the player a 1 year suspention from USA hockey.

The maltese slash guard he was wearing may have very well saved his life. I am just glad that I will never know the answer to that question. THe maltese had a slight mark in the fabric where the skate came in. Instead of the skate sliding off and int ohis neck, the gel cups and traps it. That was his Mite major season. he is now entering his Bantam minor year and with the same slash guard. The cost may seem high but its a one durable item. Mine still looks like new. my sons would if it werent originally white.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
The dangler offers marginal puck protection and INCREASES the risk of a skate cut. It acts to direct the skate into the neck area.

No intent to flame, but how so? I have one and I can't see how it would do that.

Glad your son was ok after that incident though, and that the culprit was punished appropriately (that is to say, severely). That made me angry just reading it.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Idk about the dangler...but an arguement against some neckguards is that the skate blade glances off the cut resistant material and into a an uncovered spot. Assuming the way danglers are made actually winds up directing a blade into an area you wouldn't want.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
MikeD's goalie posts always give me more and more insight into the crazy keeper world. Glad your son is OK and you didn't smash that punk who ran him.

In one of the recent NCAA tourney games, I saw a goalie take a slapper to the throat and was down for the count, eventhough he had a dangler and a bib. He was OK after a few minutes, but it just goes to show that no matter how much you protect yourself, there's always the freak occurence.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
I've never had a problem looking down with the dangler. never gets in the way at all. I've taken countless shots/sticks to the throat, all of which were shut down by the dangler.

I too am a huge fan of danglers. I find regular neck guards to be hot and itchy, the Maltese combo is a cool concept but I don't have the dough. I have never had a problem with my dangler and I can think of countless times off the top of my head (no pun intended) where I have taken a shot square off the dangler that would have done damage had I not been wearing it.

kegcrew

Mar 8, 2007
I haven't worn either since I was a freshman in high school. The bib is too uncomfortable and the danlger bugs me. When I was a junior I got hit in the throat with a slapshot from a teamate of mine who now plays NCAA Div 1 hockey and it wasn't nearly as bad as you would think. I finished the practice. So I say they are unnecessary and if they bug you you shouldn't have to wear them. Sorry parents but that's just my honest opinion.

fullmetal2405

Feb 3, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
I haven't worn either since I was a freshman in high school. The bib is too uncomfortable and the danlger bugs me. When I was a junior I got hit in the throat with a slapshot from a teamate of mine who now plays NCAA Div 1 hockey and it wasn't nearly as bad as you would think. I finished the practice. So I say they are unnecessary and if they bug you you shouldn't have to wear them. Sorry parents but that's just my honest opinion.

Not necessarily so much worry about a slapshot than a skate to the throat, granted either helps with the slapper as well.

TomWaits

Feb 27, 2002
I wear neither, the dangler makes it tougher to look directly down, I pretty much just take my chances (knock on wood)

i wear one also - don't like it but the one time I need it I'll be glad I have it. My theory on goalie gear to have the best protection possible we are not professional hockey players I have to go to regular work the next day so I am going to protect myself the best I can.

Same as for player who don't wear visors not having something to protect your neck area is stupid.

I use this

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=IN18

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
i wear one also - don't like it but the one time I need it I'll be glad I have it. My theory on goalie gear to have the best protection possible we are not professional hockey players I have to go to regular work the next day so I am going to protect myself the best I can.

Same as for player who don't wear visors not having something to protect your neck area is stupid.

I use this

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=IN18

It might be stupid, but it still should be a players/goalies choice on the issue of neck guards and face shields, IMO anyway.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
I use both a dangler and a throat guard. The Malarchuk incident serves as a constant reminder to myself to never not where the throat guard. Imagine if that were to happen at a drop-in game with little to no medical staff at the rink...

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Idk about the dangler...but an arguement against some neckguards is that the skate blade glances off the cut resistant material and into a an uncovered spot. Assuming the way danglers are made actually winds up directing a blade into an area you wouldn't want.

Any hard plate type protector is likely to allow the skate to slide off. In most cases thast going to be towards the shoulder/neck area. Player neck guards are an absolute joke. BNK is simply a min number of passes of a skate at a certain pressure before cut through. The small area of a player guard is scarey at best.

As for how the dangler can increase your risk of a skate cut to the neck, simple to demostrate for yourself. Put your mask on. Take you own skate and put it just about anywhere to the sides of your mask, on the dangler and press. The dangler pushes in, creating an angle that the skate will follow...drectly down into your neck...

Once we were required to wear head gear, I also tried different neck wear. I bought at least 5 or 6 of the damn things over the years and could never tolerate one for more than about 10 minutes. I would have to stop and rip the thing off before I could continue. Heat retention, that choked feeling, irritation of the skin etc etc.
I went with just the dangler for years. Then I had a dangler break from a shot. I also had a puck strike the hanger lace at my right ear. Ripped my mask sideways, some minor scapes to my face and nose and a very sore neck. So, I tried the maltese. With the Maltese slash guard or combo you actually forget you have a neck guard on.

Price point...The slash guard is MUCH less expensive than the combo. It only has gel around the collar and cloth that drapes over the shoulders. Not sure if they make it still since they changed from Defender Nylon to the current material. I would bet that if you contacted Phil, if he doesnt have an old one laying around and he has any of the nylon laying around he would make one for you.

[email protected] is the contact.

Hmmm, for those who think a puck to the unprotected throat isnt that bad....have a buddy roll one thin section of your newspaper into a tube about 1.5-2 inches on the Inside diameter. Now..let him whack you with it like a baseball bat, directly to your adams apple. With a full swing its going to be about 1/100 of the force a 40 MPH puck will strike with. A 65 MPH puck directly into the front of an unprotected throat can crush your voicebox and trachia. It could mean your DEATH.

Many of todays masks have such a large chin drop that the coverage is much better. I agree that an adult should have the choice. Youth hockey is another story all together. Adults tend to have learned that they are not immortal and can be injured when you least expect it. The little ones rarely have any concept of danger. lol

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
MikeD's goalie posts always give me more and more insight into the crazy keeper world. Glad your son is OK and you didn't smash that punk who ran him.

I would have looked pretty bad jumping a 9 or 10 year old. Not to mention the fact that the kids Dad was standing almost right next to me and was VERY armed. Cheektowaga Cop. :teach: Never mess with the law or the laws kids! :biglaugh:

I do my very best to not be one of those crazy parents. Just a spectator and ITS JUST A GAME. 99.9% of the time the Refs handle these things well...I just keep my yap shut, cheer the good from both teams on the ice and enjoy the game. My wife, thats another story, I think she coulda killed someone that day. :amazed: She was in the bleachers so couldnt see the little man smiling and playing "dead". One good thing about it was never hearing another word about how much I had spent on all the different maltese products we have. :naughty:

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
I have a simple, noob question about throat protection for goalies.

Are goalies expected to wear both throat protection (bib) and throat protection (throat dangler) attached to the mask or is it one or the other?
In Minor hockey in Canada, the goalie is required to wear something that attaches to the mask and dangles down (the big hunk of plastic, usually) as well as the throat protector that every other player wears.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Canada Hockey only mandates a BNQ certified throat protector and Type 3 facial protector. There is no requirement for a lexan/plastic drop down. Obout 50% of the minor hockey (canada) goalies I have watched play wear a dangler. ALL wear a BNQ certified throat protector which is ONLY tested/rated against skate cut, NOT puck impact. Some Associations may up the requirement on their goalies.

See page 52 & 53 rule 24(a) and (f)

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I am the victim of 2 collarbone shots so far. Scars to prove it.

Still wear nothing, but think I would lean to the dangler first.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
In Minor hockey in Canada, the goalie is required to wear something that attaches to the mask and dangles down (the big hunk of plastic, usually) as well as the throat protector that every other player wears.

Canada Hockey only mandates a BNQ certified throat protector and Type 3 facial protector. There is no requirement for a lexan/plastic drop down. Obout 50% of the minor hockey (canada) goalies I have watched play wear a dangler. ALL wear a BNQ certified throat protector which is ONLY tested/rated against skate cut, NOT puck impact. Some Associations may up the requirement on their goalies.

See page 52 & 53 rule 24(a) and (f)
Do these conflict with eachother? My kid when he was in peewee had his dangler split by a shot, and they made him leave the game, he wasn't allowed to just cut the two halves off and continue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad