Question about Bauer Speed Plate insoles

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
Since I didn't bake my mx3's, will the speed plates create more of a response with my foot to the outsole? Or should I just bake my skates so my foot is contoured to the bottom of the skate?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
You should follow the instructions that come with the Speedplate/MX3 and bake both together.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I finally tried the Speed Plate today. Wow is all I can say. They're pretty amazing.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Can you elaborate?

I've been using Superfeet for the last 4-5 years and I like them. I finally tried the Speed Plate's today. You feel more balanced on the ice, there's no negative space between the footbed and the boot. It feels so comfortable, I had no pain after my 90 minute skate this afternoon. The Speed Plate moulds to your foot. You have to try it out. Obviously, it's not for some people. They came with the Bauer 1X skates that I bought last week, so I might as well try them, right. I'll be wearing Speed Plate's from now on. You can mould (bake) them to your feet as many times as you want. Bauer hit a homerun!

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Sounds interesting. I could use new foot plates. Do these take up more room than a standard foot plate?

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I had a friend at a pickup game take those Bauer insoles out of his skates, he had a ton of pain wearing them. I recommend the yellow Super Feet insoles since they have helped alleviate pain in my feet compared to the stock ones.

I guess each person is different, keep trying until you find the best fit.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I had a friend at a pickup game take those Bauer insoles out of his skates, he had a ton of pain wearing them. I recommend the yellow Super Feet insoles since they have helped alleviate pain in my feet compared to the stock ones.

I guess each person is different, keep trying until you find the best fit.

Ask your friend if he moulded them to his feet. I can see why he was in pain if they weren't moulded to his feet.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
How does he do that?

I would get them done at a hockey shop. You can do it at home, though. You basically put them in the oven for a short time, then put them in your skates and stand for 30 seconds or a minute? Just google Bauer Speed Plate instructions. They feel amazing once they're moulded to your feet.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I've thought about going this route since I do get a bit of foot pain with my skates, even with them being baked and fitted correctly. I've heard really mixed reviews, though, which is what's kept me from trying it out. It's not like you can return them after you've baked them to your unique foot shape.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I've had a look at them, but can't help but wonder what or how much benefit if anything they might actually give me in terms of fit and performance.

I'm reasonably happy with my current fit, though my current expensive skates (X900) did come with dreadfully cheap and nasty factory insoles which bunched up and moved about under my feet. I took the ones out of my old pair put them in the new and they were fine.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Anybody happen to know if the shop will have to bake my whole skate, or just the insoles if I pick up a pair of these? The Bauer website seems to suggest it's just the insoles, but I just want to make sure I won't need to remove my waxed laces before I go in.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Anybody happen to know if the shop will have to bake my whole skate, or just the insoles if I pick up a pair of these? The Bauer website seems to suggest it's just the insoles, but I just want to make sure I won't need to remove my waxed laces before I go in.

I think you just have to bake the Speed Plate's? I'm not 100% sure, though.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Sounds interesting. I could use new foot plates. Do these take up more room than a standard foot plate?

They're thinner than superfeet. Probably take up a tiny but more volume than a standard footbed.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
I have Speedplates and really like them. It feels as if there is more spring in my stride and more power generated.

However, I had a problem with mine. The right side Speedplate cracked on from outer toward the center about 4 inches from the heel. Back right of the plate if you're looking straight down at it. I assume it cracked because the skate boot and plate didn't mesh well together. I stuck a bit of tape below the plate to take up the negative space, otherwise one part of the speedplate is lower than the other (heel is lower) causing a bit annoying pinching when I play.

This happened after roughly 6 months (games twice a week on average) and the plate is in a Bauer Supreme (190? I forget) skate. Went to Total Hockey and they said they never heard of it happening on other plates so I've just lived with it for a few months.

I'll probably get another set of Speedplates when I get around to it.

matix218

Dec 18, 2013
I have Speedplates and really like them. It feels as if there is more spring in my stride and more power generated.

However, I had a problem with mine. The right side Speedplate cracked on from outer toward the center about 4 inches from the heel. Back right of the plate if you're looking straight down at it. I assume it cracked because the skate boot and plate didn't mesh well together. I stuck a bit of tape below the plate to take up the negative space, otherwise one part of the speedplate is lower than the other (heel is lower) causing a bit annoying pinching when I play.

This happened after roughly 6 months (games twice a week on average) and the plate is in a Bauer Supreme (190? I forget) skate. Went to Total Hockey and they said they never heard of it happening on other plates so I've just lived with it for a few months.

I'll probably get another set of Speedplates when I get around to it.

FYI one of my speed plates just cracked on the heel area and i contacted hockey monkey and sent them a photo and they are replacing them no questions asked. Didn't even require me to ship back my old set. Great customer service, but I am still worried that my new pair may crack now that this has happened once plus the other people online I have seen complaining about cracks too...

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
FYI one of my speed plates just cracked on the heel area and i contacted hockey monkey and sent them a photo and they are replacing them no questions asked. Didn't even require me to ship back my old set. Great customer service, but I am still worried that my new pair may crack now that this has happened once plus the other people online I have seen complaining about cracks too...

Perhaps I'll buy my next set from HM instead. Thanks for the info.

How long did your plate last before it cracked? Was it your dominant/more powerful foot? Did you use them in Bauer skates?

matix218

Dec 18, 2013
Perhaps I'll buy my next set from HM instead. Thanks for the info.

How long did your plate last before it cracked? Was it your dominant/more powerful foot? Did you use them in Bauer skates?

I had my plates for about 2 months before it cracked. It was actually not my more dominant/powerful foot, the crack is on the outside heel area and I expect it may have been due to a puck impact or stick impact due to the location (dont specifically remember one from my last game though), they were being used in Bauer Vapor X:60 skates (old top of the line before the original APX).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->