Quebec City getting a franchise ?

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
I'm getting pretty sick of your ridiculous posts... "nobody cares" = sold out 34 games in a row in Anaheim? I've been fairly surprised at the level of buzz the Ducks generated with winning the Stanley Cup. The Ducks are not on the same level as the Dodgers, Lakers, Clippers or Angels - but it doesn't mean nobody cares.

Frankly I dont care who gets sick of what I post. I post to debate issues, not to give group hugs.
As for your contention about "buzz" and "nobody cares" - judging from reports of the Ducks Stanley Cup celebration, I would say ~15,000 people "care"

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
As for your contention about "buzz" and "nobody cares" - judging from reports of the Ducks Stanley Cup celebration, I would say ~15,000 people "care"

Because everyone who cares about something is obviously able to attend each and every event related to that thing. :shakehead

I thought you were here to "debate issues"? That implies a level of honesty that I have yet to see you bring to the table.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Because everyone who cares about something is obviously able to attend each and every event related to that thing. :shakehead

I thought you were here to "debate issues"? That implies a level of honesty that I have yet to see you bring to the table.

Good one. So if any number of Northern teams win the Cup - we can expect 15,000 people to show up since not "everyone who cares about something is obviously able to attend each and every event related to that thing"

Your comment on honesty is a lot of words that mean nothing. If anything it relates moreso to yourself than my position. Check the TV ratings in those markets.... enough said.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Good one. So if any number of Northern teams win the Cup - we can expect 15,000 people to show up since not "everyone who cares about something is obviously able to attend each and every event related to that thing"

I've never said or claimed that the level of support in Anaheim is equal to the level of support in "any number of Northern" cities.

Moreover, your comment above is intended to distract from the point, which is that obviously more than 15,000 people care about hockey in Anaheim (even though you claimed otherwise).

If you want to put words in my mouth, then you'll have to do it somewhere else. I imagine that you find it a lot easier to win arguments when you're arguing for both parties.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
I've never said or claimed that the level of support in Anaheim is equal to the level of support in "any number of Northern" cities.

Moreover, your comment above is intended to distract from the point, which is that obviously more than 15,000 people care about hockey in Anaheim (even though you claimed otherwise).

If you want to put words in my mouth, then you'll have to do it somewhere else. I imagine that you find it a lot easier to win arguments when you're arguing for both parties.

What exactly are you arguing with me? Once again, you have an impressive way of writing a lot and saying nothing. My point on this thread was that I would appreciate a hockey team in Quebec city due to its rich history in hockey and great fan interest.
I would be willing to watch a team based in Quebec City play, whereas I don't care to watch a team in Phoenix, Florida or so forth.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
What exactly are you arguing with me? Once again, you have an impressive way of writing a lot and saying nothing. My point on this thread was that I would appreciate a hockey team in Quebec city due to its rich history in hockey and great fan interest.
I would be willing to watch a team based in Quebec City play, whereas I don't care to watch a team in Phoenix, Florida or so forth.

So your thesis is not that Quebec City deserves a hockey franchise because they would support it, or because it would generate revenue. Your thesis is that Quebec City should have a franchise because you'd like it.

On the other hand, you're claiming that I'm the one bringing nothing to the table.

Good one, dude. :shakehead

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
So your thesis is not that Quebec City deserves a hockey franchise because they would support it, or because it would generate revenue. Your thesis is that Quebec City should have a franchise because you'd like it.

On the other hand, you're claiming that I'm the one bringing nothing to the table.

Good one, dude. :shakehead

wowzers, you're sure a sharp one.
I clearly said in my first post I know nothing about the financial situation in Quebec, just that I would enjoy watching a hockey team in Quebec City play more than in other markets. You somehow found a way to take issue with that and made some vague statement about jerseys and names at which point the dicsussion turned to markets and you scurried away changing the topic.
Fine lets go back to the main point, you said:
___
"If your interest in the sport has less to do with the players on the ice and more to do with what names are on the front of the sweaters, then there's not much we can do."
_____

I would say, yes the market and team playing are important to my interest in the game at hand. Judging from television ratings, I would think that the vast majority of fans would agree with me. This is'nt just true in hockey but in all sports.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

when someone uses wikipedia as a source just ignore them.... its like saying 'hey!!! I dont wanna make up some bs... so i'll let someone else make up that bs for me...'

soundtigersfan

Feb 28, 2007
CT
This guy is more or less saying that they are thinking about/going to build a new arena. If they do, then I don't see why Quebec City shouldn't be given another shot since the arena was the problem, not fan support. This guy lives there and is in the corporate sector, so he probably knows more about the city itself than anyone else here. Irish Blues, I respect you as a mod and know you're an expert on the economics of the NHL today, but unless you are also an expert on the economics, culture, and population trends of Quebec City, then I think you've been shutting him down rather harshly and undeservedly. The only objection I would have to the return of the NHL to Quebec City is that if Red Bull owns the team, they shouldn't be the Quebec City Red Bulls or Red Bull Quebec City or anything like what they've done to the Metrostars in New Jersey. If an owner is going to move a team or if the NHL is going to expand somewhere new I would rather it be into some place where it is almost guaranteed to succeed. Kansas City may have corporate support lined up, but fan support is still unproven, and if people are going to use the past of the Nordiques against QC then it's only fair to acknowledge the horrible past of the Scouts, as well.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
wowzers, you're sure a sharp one.

Okay, I think we're done here. I don't respond well to derogatory remarks, so I'm afraid you're going to have to find yourself a new playmate.

Besides, if the entirety of your argument is "Quebec City deserves a team because I'd like it", then why are you still here? The topic isn't even debatable.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Okay, I think we're done here. I don't respond well to derogatory remarks, so I'm afraid you're going to have to find yourself a new playmate.

Besides, if the entirety of your argument is "Quebec City deserves a team because I'd like it", then why are you still here? The topic isn't even debatable.

Say what you wish. You read my first post, took issue with it and made the above statement about players not teams dictating your interest in the game at hand.
I disagree.
For me the hockey history, culture, tradition and atmosphere of a team in a place like Quebec City would be very appealing - especially with the natural rivalry w\ the Habs. Frankly speaking none of that exists in the other markets mentioned.

...is a goober

Apr 9, 2007
Victoria
This guy is more or less saying that they are thinking about/going to build a new arena. If they do, then I don't see why Quebec City shouldn't be given another shot since the arena was the problem, not fan support. This guy lives there and is in the corporate sector, so he probably knows more about the city itself than anyone else here. Irish Blues, I respect you as a mod and know you're an expert on the economics of the NHL today, but unless you are also an expert on the economics, culture, and population trends of Quebec City, then I think you've been shutting him down rather harshly and undeservedly. The only objection I would have to the return of the NHL to Quebec City is that if Red Bull owns the team, they shouldn't be the Quebec City Red Bulls or Red Bull Quebec City or anything like what they've done to the Metrostars in New Jersey. If an owner is going to move a team or if the NHL is going to expand somewhere new I would rather it be into some place where it is almost guaranteed to succeed. Kansas City may have corporate support lined up, but fan support is still unproven, and if people are going to use the past of the Nordiques against QC then it's only fair to acknowledge the horrible past of the Scouts, as well.

Wha? Huh?

I was beginning to think that this entire board was void of reason and impartiality, but no... there it is.

Beautifully put.

Fugu

Ya, I liked it too. So I'll highlight it as well and hope that the discussion can veer back on topic. Imagine that?

Is fan support needed for success. Is corporate support needed as well. What about arena size/age/funding. Hate it when I start asking rhetorical questions... and talking to myself. ;)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Ya, I liked it too. So I'll highlight it as well and hope that the discussion can veer back on topic. Imagine that?

Is fan support needed for success. Is corporate support needed as well. What about arena size/age/funding. Hate it when I start asking rhetorical questions... and talking to myself. ;)

Arena size around 18.5k/70 lodges.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I try to stay open minded on this and wouldnt care to much about it, but I know some would. After a few seasons it would be all good imo. And then if you compare to soccer, its different imo, the product of hockey doesnt need to be sold like Soccer is mostly all around the americas.(Its getting big here too*and we are working on some interiors soccer installations as well)

Dietrich is a hockey maniac(literally) owns 2 clubs already, I think the team would be very well supported to say the least. Anyway the way I'm looking at this is: X hockey man president (Someone like Tanguay, the Remparts owner), with the outside investor putting all of the money.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not even, I just wanted to say that you are using some e-bullying tactics. "Mr. No" I wrote that out of respect, to be honest, sorry if I again for 2 post in a row made a fool of myself. :shakehead

Still having a problem sometimes with my english on forums. It's one thing to write technical articles and documents it's another to improvise again and again.

"E-bullying tactics"

Yes, he has a whole book on the Art of E-Bullying.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Why did he sold?

1) In the first place Aubut is NOT a hockey fan. He likes the business of hockey.

2) There was no political will at all to build a new Arena, lets remember that 12 years ago the CDN$ was around .70USD.

What did change

1) First we have some new very rich people because of the dotcom boom and other ventures, even locally, we created some decent fortunes.

2) The political part changed drastically since 1995 as well, with the ADQ (a pro-Quebec City party) now very well established at the provincial level.

3) Everyone got to know about the Quebec City 400th anniversary spending spree for next year (including world champ of hockey) major infrastructure renovation etc. The perfect time to ask for a new arena! (And to annonce the project)

Other points

1) Habs are not a financial competitor really. Developing the market is the real challenge.

2) Hmmm, I don't have the same evil opinion about Aubut, he did a lot for this city and he was pretty sad and broken that the media treated him like they did. Hes not a billionaire therefore he can't really do what he wants. He would have built an Arena, we still would have the Nordiques.

3) IHL/AHL, the IHL worked but that management wasnt serious one bit and collapsed, the IHL was in bad shape also. Then came the AHL, affiliated with the habs...its like putting the school club for the yankees in boston.

4) Oh I'm not unrealistic about Dietrich, but if he wants to spend his money, it's his choice really.

I wouldn't trust either, SOLR, Aubut burned the market once, what makes Dietrich won't either, do you want the reaction like it is in Winnipeg or Hartford concerning those owners and how the fans were treated when they left.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I wouldn't trust either, SOLR, Aubut burned the market once, what makes Dietrich won't either, do you want the reaction like it is in Winnipeg or Hartford concerning those owners and how the fans were treated when they left.

Hmm I think over the years people have started placing the blame where the blame was at(Provincial government). Many share my sentiments here, that not giving a tax-free operation to the habs and nords is not respecting the culture of our people in the first place.

More so when you look at the actual waste(gentle compared to the french expression) of money in culture in Quebec.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
"E-bullying tactics"

Yes, he has a whole book on the Art of E-Bullying.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I should write a book - "E-Bullying For Dummies".

On the other hand, I'm not sure that that's a skill we want to get into the hands of the dummies. :biglaugh:

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
I can distribute it and market it for you.

(I'll be the first to read!)

:grinch:
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Let's do it! There's got to be a huge niche market out there that we can reach.

Just to clarify some things that might not be apparent, I'd love to see a team back in Quebec City. The Nordiques were always one of my favourite teams (probably because SportsChannel always seemed to have Quebec home games), and one of the sweaters I wear to Avs games regularly is a Hextall #27 Nordiques sweater (how's that for an odd combo?)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Let's do it! There's got to be a huge niche market out there that we can reach.

Just to clarify some things that might not be apparent, I'd love to see a team back in Quebec City. The Nordiques were always one of my favourite teams (probably because SportsChannel always seemed to have Quebec home games), and one of the sweaters I wear to Avs games regularly is a Hextall #27 Nordiques sweater (how's that for an odd combo?)

Boy dont tell my best friend you got this sweater, hell take the next plane to rip it from you. Its a pretty neat combo, anything blue, white, with hextall on the back is neat.

puckhead103*

fan support is basically irrelevant in today's sports market......

owners want customers with corporate dough, not fans.....

look at toronto, corporate support has dominated that market and its doing well financially but the on-ice product is a different story...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
As I write this I am watching an ESPN Classic replay of a Habs/Nords playoff game. Goalies are Roy and Hetall. Great game and fantastic atmosphere in the Colisee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad