Quebec and hockey - the discussion

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The Post-gazette reports that, apparently, Murstein is still in the running. So, it's still a three-way race, with only one person (Gottesdiener) still pretty pro-relocation and he wants to move to Hartford.

No Canadian bidders remain, so it's highly unlikely that the Pens will be moved to Quebec. It's still pretty unlikely that they'll move at all, but that's a different subject entirely.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
The Post-gazette reports that, apparently, Murstein is still in the running. So, it's still a three-way race, with only one person (Gottesdiener) still pretty pro-relocation and he wants to move to Hartford.

No Canadian bidders remain, so it's highly unlikely that the Pens will be moved to Quebec. It's still pretty unlikely that they'll move at all, but that's a different subject entirely.

They announced that Gottesdeiner probably matched Fingold's offer.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
They announced that Gottesdeiner probably matched Fingold's offer.

Where? The Pittsburgh papers are mum and slightly unreliable on the whole situation.

I think a lot of it is going to come down to the arena funding and lease and the willingness of the team to sell to a buyer seeking a move.

I personally thing Fingold will get it, but Gottesdeiner's not giving up without a fight.

(As an aside, I really do want to see Quebec and Hartford get teams again, but not at the expense of my Penguins)

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
Where? The Pittsburgh papers are mum and slightly unreliable on the whole situation.

I think a lot of it is going to come down to the arena funding and lease and the willingness of the team to sell to a buyer seeking a move.

I personally thing Fingold will get it, but Gottesdeiner's not giving up without a fight.

(As an aside, I really do want to see Quebec and Hartford get teams again, but not at the expense of my Penguins)

www.post-gazette.com/pg/06208/708959-61.stm

WestgateCoyote

Jun 28, 2006
Glendale, AZ
Getting back to the Winnipeg situation just one more time.

As I said before the NHL doesn´t require a minimum capacity, but nevertheless MTS Center is way too small for a NHL arena. If you assume Winnipeg could sell out an 18,000 seat arena constantly (which I think they could) they would $5 - $6 million per season because MTS Center is too small.

That doesn´t make any sense.

xamkey

Aug 3, 2006
go Nordiques go

First, Id like to tell you that I am from quebec city and that everyone is very exited about this news. For those who followed the NHL back in the 90s, youll remember that thw quebec city team lost about all of their game , even though, the stadium was full at each game. Quebec city a big hockey market and if a cie like rebull comes to our city, everyoe wil do everything to help them.

Transported Upstater

too nasty of a response

But

yeah

it has been repeated by severel NHL talking heads that for hockey to go back to Quebec city alot would have to happen

incueding a new arena, quebec tax system reformed and a few other things.

Some people are just in complete deniel over the fact that the nhl will never go back to Quebec city

Anyone who lived in Canada knows that the Montreal Canadians rule Quebec like Toronto rules Ontario

No matter how good Ottawa is--they barely get any talk in the province during hockey season

it is almost impossible to survive in either provinces with the leafs and canadians

I had the link to the comments about Quebec and Winnapeg the Bettmen made

but at the news conference was the guy that owns the Hurricanes and I believe the bruins

The NHL has no interest in going back to Quebec or the peg

I may never have lived in Canada, but my "favorite" team pre-Gilmour was the Nordiques.

I believe that many of those die-hard Quebec fans, the ones who lived for Les Nordiques hockey, especially those east of Quebec city, will NEVER, EVER cheer for the Habs.

GSC2k2*

It came from Bettmen, Wirtz and a few others during the lockout

HIs excact comment was the NHL was going forward and not backwards

Houston nearly got he oilers a few years ago

feal free to move along

the nhl will never be back as a team in either Quebec city or Winapeg

some people just to refuse to face the truth
Boy, did you EVER whiff on my point. Not even close.

The fact that you seem to have completely misunderstood the point (which was about the point of your original post) makes your snarky response all the more laughable.

Try going back to YOUR post, and then re-read my response, and then re-visit your response. Try to see where you went astray.

Here is a clue that may assist you - your last two sentences above? I AGREE with them.

Groan.

Willis

Aug 2, 2005
1. The MTS Center can add more seats if Winnipeg ever gets a team.

2. NHL Arenas do not need 20,000 seats. Most NHL arenas do not seat 20,000.

Nope the MTS centre cannot expand period. The building was built to max capacity based on the land it was located on. The only way to expand capacity it to shrink seats.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Nope the MTS centre cannot expand period. The building was built to max capacity based on the land it was located on. The only way to expand capacity it to shrink seats.
It can expand, but not much. There was a provision in the original plans to add an extra row of 12 suites below the existing row of press boxes. As well, there is the possibility of adding an extra row of seats at the very back of the arena and reconfiguring some other areas (the John Labatt Lounge) to gain about an extra 500 seats or so. This would bring the total capacity to around 15,500 with 60-62 suites, depending on configuration. Not much, but something.

Anything beyond that would require annexing at least one city street (probably two - Hargrave and Graham), and raising the roof of the building. Needless to say, this would be a major project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->