Quebec and hockey - the discussion

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Oh god, after the NY/NJ Metrostars changed their name to the NY Red Bulls I thought that made the MLS even more of a laughing stock.

Please tell me they don't want there to be a Quebec Red Bulls.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Oh god, after the NY/NJ Metrostars changed their name to the NY Red Bulls I thought that made the MLS even more of a laughing stock.

Well, the Mighty Ducks lasted over a decade so it can happen. Either way, I would think it would be a relocation rather than an expansion.

thebigstubbs*

Has anyone heard more details about this?

How should this work?

Wont work

red bull is playing with the emotions of quebec fans

Fact of the matter there is a group of nhl owners who would not mind to see the only Vancouver, TO and MOntreal have teams

Ott, Cal and Edmonton do not draw duing the regular season and when it comes playoff times--the TV rating go through the floor.

KC and Houston are the next 2 cities to get nhl teams.

thebigstubbs*

How about Pittsburgh relocating to Quebec?

More likely to KC or houston

Bettmen gave an interview last year where he more or less ruled out a return to either Quebec or the peg.

In the case of the peg their new arena only seats 15k and that is 5k under what would be needed for an nhl team.

As for quebec. last thing I heard there was that they were thinkinga about a new arena that would also seat 15k--again too small for the nhl.

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
Wont work

Fact of the matter there is a group of nhl owners who would not mind to see the only Vancouver, TO and MOntreal have teams

Ott, Cal and Edmonton do not draw duing the regular season and when it comes playoff times--the TV rating go through the floor.

IIRC Calgary and Ottawa had perfect attendance last/this season(05-06). Edmonton sold out all but one of their games, and that was due to a computer glitch.

thebigstubbs*

IIRC Calgary and Ottawa had perfect attendance last/this season(05-06). Edmonton sold out all but one of their games, and that was due to a computer glitch.

remember

we are talking about the people that want to grow hockey in the states

and a certain amount of them just would rather there be no nhl teams in Canada...

Lets face facts--American just can not get into hockey and when a Canadian team does well--a certain majority of business people who are associated with the nhl get flustered do to the fact that interest in hockey in the states sags when a Canadian team is involved.

Verbeek

Human see, human do.
Jul 19, 2005
Pittsburgh

Bettmen gave an interview last year where he more or less ruled out a return to either Quebec or the peg.

In the case of the peg their new arena only seats 15k and that is 5k under what would be needed for an nhl team.

As for quebec. last thing I heard there was that they were thinkinga about a new arena that would also seat 15k--again too small for the nhl.

Face it, the only way to get a franchise is relocation, and no team is moving... so these cities just need to shutup. AND IT SHANT BE THE PENS MOVING, MARK MY WORDS....

...DOWN ON YOUR CALENDAR....
...CHUMP.

Misos Milakos*

Wont work

Ott, Cgy, & Edm do not draw during the regular season? How did you come up with that?

Misos Milakos*

1. The MTS Center can add more seats if Winnipeg ever gets a team.

2. NHL Arenas do not need 20,000 seats. Most NHL arenas do not seat 20,000.

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com

I disagree. Red Bull bought the NY/NJ Metrostars, which was named after a company (MetroMedia) right from the start. The Metros were never all that good in the 9 years it did exist, so it wasn't as if there was precious history to salvage. Moreover, MLS is 10 years old. Red Bull dropped over $100 million in purchasing the franchise, as well as committing money to a soccer specific stadium. It's a sign that somebody is confident enough in the league to spend a very significant amount of money on it. I'm failing to see the humor in that, but whatever.

But then again, corporate sponsorship is old hat in soccer. It would be weird in the NHL; but Red Bull wants to spend a ridiculously large amount of money on the NHL for a team, I say why not?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

KC and Houston papers are now saying that the Pens will be staying in Pittsburgh. So, the chances for them relocating seem to be getting a bit slimmer.

WestgateCoyote

Jun 28, 2006
Glendale, AZ
Being born and raised in Austria, I know Dietrich Mateschitz. And from what I know he´s a guy who normally gets what he wants. For sure, he could afford to buy a NHL franchise and even build a new arena.

The problem is the NHL won´t expand, that´s for sure. The only team up for sale right now are the Pens - but Mario for sure wants them to stay in Pittsburgh. But if they can´t get a new arena he will probably sell them to the highest bidder, which could be Mateschitz.

And whether the NHL likes it or not, he could very well relocate them to Quebec City.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004

I am guessing that you know nothing about sports outside of North America. Am I right?

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
And whether the NHL likes it or not, he could very well relocate them to Quebec City.

The NHL would have to approve the franchise movement. Of course, it wouldn't be hard to make a case for it if the team is losing money. I think a return to Quebec City would be good for the league and the fans.

thebigstubbs*

I see a few posts about the chances of quebec city getting a team again

what is there current arena situation?

I know the peg just built a new arena that seats only 15'500--so that takes them out of the running for a relocation team

Quebec city poulation is 800k(census 2001)

has the city built an arena that seats over 20K and have the lowered their tax rate--one of the things that killed the team the first time around

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->