Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
Russia vs Finland.....2:4 .......... finland
Czech rep vs USA......4:1...........czechs
Canada vs Slovakia.......2:3.......slovakia
Sweden vs Switzerland....5:1....sweden

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Russia 3,Finland 1-a close game,until a late empty netter.
USA 4,Czechs 3-a physical game.US will hack at Jagr's banged up hand.
Canada 5, Slovakia 3-Canada's sloppy D remains a weak link.
Sweden 4,Switzerland 1-Swedes roll along.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
VanIslander said:
I'm surprised too, especially since they haven't played well together as a team but have limped through some games often outplayed, only to succeed on a few breaks.

They both will get bounced in the quarters. :jump:

Semi-finalists will be: Finland, Switzerland, Czech, Slovakia.

Friendly bet says you are wrong on at least three of those.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Sweden over the Swiss is the only sure thing IM0.
The U.S. is young, fast and feisty and they will beat the Czechs.
I can't believe Russia hasn't self-destructed yet. They will in this game and the Finns will advance.
My heart says Canada over Slovakia even though my head says their defence sucks and the rust is showing.

tsunami

Feb 28, 2002
Bienne - Switzerland
Visit site
Macman said:
Sweden over the Swiss is the only sure thing IM0.
The U.S. is young, fast and feisty and they will beat the Czechs.
I can't believe Russia hasn't self-destructed yet. They will in this game and the Finns will advance.
My heart says Canada over Slovakia even though my head says their defence sucks and the rust is showing.

Yep, have to agree with you

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Its not 100% sure that Sweden will win over Swiss. Remember Olympics 2002? or was it 2003? anyways...Sweden sucks big time. :rant:

EDIT:

Russia vs Finland 3-4
Czech rep vs USA 2-4
Canada vs Slovakia 1-2 OT
Sweden vs Switzerland 2-3 OT

Last edited:

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
SectionX said:
Thursday 12th may:

Russia vs Finland
Czech rep vs USA
Canada vs Slovakia
Sweden vs Switzerland

discuss.
My predictions
Russia will thake this one, but this is the one where I am most unsure of.
Czech Republic
Slovakia, I believe in their attack
Sweden

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Well, last time posters said that Russia had to won game we had a 3-3 tie with Switzerland. When posters said that we will be doomed by Czech Rep. we won. Now, posters say that we will win. I'm scared :( I think that Finns can beat us very easy : Sokolov is very shaky and our D suck big time,

Last edited:

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Now the real, mentally hard, games begin.

Russia vs Finland
Team Russia is based on individual skill on offensive end. They have very skillful forwards, playmakers but essentially snipers. On a good day they are almost unstopable, but on a bad day almost nothing goes their way. If they cannot produce there's a good chance they get frustrated and if this happens, they are out of the competition. Their weakest point imo is the five men defence system. When some of the offensive players doesn't contribute at the defensive end, it opens scoring opporturnities for the opposing team.

Team Finland has based their game on their defence which can make great passes that can lead to 2-1, 3-1 or even breakaway situations. Team Finland is capable of playing very physical if needed and this, imo, could make or break Team Finland's chances. If the physical play doesn't go overboard in the refs eyes then I'd say Team Finland has a good chances on advancing to the second round. Team Finlands biggest weakness is the offensive game which has been the biggest let down.

It can be an easy win for Team Russia or a close win for Team Finland.

Czech rep vs USA
Team Czech rep is much like Team Russia but imo their team is more balanced. They have a slightly weaker offensive play but also slightly better defensive game. Team Czech Republic goalies are better than Team Russia's goalies. The czechs play an offensive style of game and this creates bunch of scoring chances. Their weakness is pretty much their mentallity. If the oppositon can defend well, they try with more risk and this leaves more holes in their defence and if the opposition scored first, there's a chance that their game just falls apart.

Team USA plays a typical north american style of hockey. They are physical team but there are also skillful forwards. The defence is filled with physical, strong and big men. The defence is also quite slow. Team USA also usually plays very disciplined game and they play the game with heart and sometimes they might go overboard with their physical play. Team USA's strenght is that they play the game as a one unit most of the game. Their offensive players also contribute in the defensive end, maybe a little more than other teams forwards. Their weakness is a slow defence.

If the Czech's score the first of the game, they will win but the Team USA won't give up so easily so they can't be counted out so fast. However I do believe that Czech's offensive players are fast enough to take the win in this one.

Canada vs Slovakia
Team Canada. On paper clearly the best team in the tournament but in real life, that doesn't count much. Team Canada has slumped in a big way. Their strenght is their offensive talent and their will to win. Their weakness is imo goaltending. Luongo and Brodeur haven't performing at their usual level. The ice is also bigger that they are normally used to. At this point I don't recall if Luongo played somewhere during this season's lock out but his performances haven't been up to par imo. Also few of their players seems to look down to their opponents and in hockey, this is always a bad thing.

Team Slovakia has also a great team on paper. They have the offensive talent but they also has capable defence and good goaltending. While their opponent has slumped a bit, Team Slovakia has been perfoming well together. They seem to play more as a team rather than indivuduals. That is their biggest strenght. They have no great weakness in their game but they don't have a streght that is much more greater than the opposing team. Hope you understand what I mean with this.

I see an upset in the making. Team Slovakia has a great chance of pulling through. I say Team Slovakia advances.

Sweden vs Switzerland
This is the easiest one. Team Sweden has the upper hand in every aspect. They have better offensive game, better defensive game and better goaltending. The only thing that can ruin their game if they doesn't respect the opposition and come to the game with their jackets wide open. They need to play their normal game and they will win. I don't see the Swiss having a chance of winning this one but of course they will try as hard as they can. Team Switzerland can only be better in one thing: They will try harder to win than the Swedish. However, imo this is not enough and Team Sweden will advance.

This is my analysis which can be inaccurate in some points but this is how I see the teams and their chances.

YEMELIN74

Feb 12, 2004
Lévis
MY PREDICTIONS
Slovakia over Canada : i dont see how canada can beat them the way they are playing recently.... i expect a canada lost by 3-5 goals
Sweden over Switzerland : Close game but i think the sweden will win by 1 or 2
Russia over Finland : russia will win this one easily i thinko
Czech Rep over USA: this game could go either way but ill take the czech

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Finland does not deserve to be in there. I don't want to see Erkka Westerlund near finnish national team hockey after this tournament.

I am hoping he somehow goes genius and makes up some fantastic strategy against the russians...

Ruutu will hopefully be overplayed to annoy Kovalchuk.

Kallio needs to continue to play tough and go into the corners like he did against Latvia, which really surprised me, I thought he had stopped playing tough after the concussion...

Hagman needs to turn in an A-game.

I don't even hope for Olli to start playing anymore... I'd say bring up Viuhkola as first line centre and set Olli as third line winger or something to shake him up.

This is the first time in a very very long time that I have seen an uninspired team Finland out there... Erkka must've worked hard to shed every bit of team spirit, winning attitude and heart out of this team. Our only hope is if Olli and Ville start taking more control over the guys and Erkka sits back and shuts up.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Russia vs Finland - no comments, just hoping we will win
Czech rep vs USA - Czech should take it, if Us goalie plays well - thats their big chance.
Canada vs Slovakia - If Brodeaur plays well, as i think he will, the Slovakia doesnt stand a chance. Lasak/Stana i dont trust.
Sweden vs Switzerland - Sweden will win, its not the olympics or World Cup.

Last edited:

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
mattihp said:
Finland does not deserve to be in there. I don't want to see Erkka Westerlund near finnish national team hockey after this tournament.

I am hoping he somehow goes genius and makes up some fantastic strategy against the russians...
Erkka Westerlund is propably one of the best theoretical hockey coaches there is. When it comes to thinking strategies to play, thinking up plays etc. he is the man you want to be in touch with. Making the players play like he had planned is completely another thing. I think Erkka is one of the best assistant coaches there is. He just isn't really a head coach material. I want to see him near the national team as often as possible but as number two man.

mattihp said:
Ruutu will hopefully be overplayed to annoy Kovalchuk.
That's his job and I think that he is planned to that. Hopefully he will do just that and not just with Kovalchuk but many more russian players.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I'm not very confident about Russia's chances. Most of the goals they scored were on odd man rushes or lucky bounces against the goalie or some skates. The PP is baaaaad, the PK is the worst (around 70%), the goalie is shaky ... so what do we need besides a miracle?

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Re:

wilka91 said:
I'm not very confident about Russia's chances. Most of the goals they scored were on odd man rushes or lucky bounces against the goalie or some skates. The PP is baaaaad, the PK is the worst (around 70%), the goalie is shaky ... so what do we need besides a miracle?

I think that Russia would be an excellent team if they had a better goalie. Let's say...the Boulin man. If this was the case, Russia would beat Finland with ease.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I love all the posts predicting a Slovakian upset, citing Canada's weak defence.
Even underperforming, I'll take the Canadian defence over Lintner/Vydareny/Strbak/Suchy/Granak/Vishnovsky/Obsut any day of the week.
Chara is gold, but he can't play 60 minutes, and Canada has last change so the Slovaks will have a tough time getting him out against Nash and Thornton.
I feel that the Slovaks have the best group of forwards in the tourney...but I feel that their d-men, combined with Stana/Lasak in goal, spells the end of the tourney for Slovakia. Majesky's big body will be missed in a big way.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
finska said:
I think that Russia would be an excellent team if they had a better goalie. Let's say...the Boulin man. If this was the case, Russia would beat Finland with ease.

I thought Sokolov has played pretty well? :dunno:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Padawan said:
Erkka Westerlund is propably one of the best theoretical hockey coaches there is. When it comes to thinking strategies to play, thinking up plays etc. he is the man you want to be in touch with. Making the players play like he had planned is completely another thing. I think Erkka is one of the best assistant coaches there is. He just isn't really a head coach material. I want to see him near the national team as often as possible but as number two man.
I fully agree that every tactic looks very well thought, but he just doesn't seem to have the personal touch with the players.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
afinogenov said:
Sokolov CAN be perfect, but sucks very often!!
Afinogenov is the one on team Russia I am most scared of... Speed, technique and most importantly... no god complex. He's ready to take the ugly goals.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
mattihp said:
Afinogenov is the one on team Russia I am most scared of... Speed, technique and most importantly... no god complex. He's ready to take the ugly goals.

Afinogenov :biglaugh:

absolutly no scoring touch :teach:

nikki9

Mar 19, 2005
Steveorama said:
I love all the posts predicting a Slovakian upset, citing Canada's weak defence.
Even underperforming, I'll take the Canadian defence over Lintner/Vydareny/Strbak/Suchy/Granak/Vishnovsky/Obsut any day of the week.
Chara is gold, but he can't play 60 minutes, and Canada has last change so the Slovaks will have a tough time getting him out against Nash and Thornton.
I feel that the Slovaks have the best group of forwards in the tourney...but I feel that their d-men, combined with Stana/Lasak in goal, spells the end of the tourney for Slovakia. Majesky's big body will be missed in a big way.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad