GDT: Quarterfinal - May 17 - Sweden vs Latvia

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Going with a 4-2 win.

We go up 3-1 in 2 periods, to then get out worked in the 3rd leading to a 3-2 game up until the final minutes when Zibanejad gets a empty netter.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Arvidsson can make problems :) They with Forsberg can play a quick hockey, I have seen it as a Ducks fan
Well, Sweden is quite fast even if they might or might not be faster than Finns. The way I see it is that Sweden has the same or higher talent level on the roster as USA or CAN, but Sweden plays more team game.
But if Slovakia, who did not qualified for 1/4 finals, could take a point from Sweden, we can stay competitive against Sweden as well :)

This is the fastest Team Sweden I've ever seen. About the only guy that can't wheel is J. Larsson.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
This is the fastest Team Sweden I've ever seen. About the only guy that can't wheel is J. Larsson.
Well, either it's going to be close or we're going to get ripped apart. I don't think there's anything in-between these 2 scenarios.

As for Larsson, he's bad. I've seen over a 100 games of his and he's just not adding anything offensively. There was this one graph of SOG made when he's on the ice and off the ice and it was ridiculous. He's a human black hole. Like, I'm not joking, our 3C is better.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Well, either it's going to be close or we're going to get ripped apart. I don't think there's anything in-between these 2 scenarios.

As for Larsson, he's bad. I've seen over a 100 games of his and he's just not adding anything offensively. There was this one graph of SOG made when he's on the ice and off the ice and it was ridiculous. He's a human black hole. Like, I'm not joking, our 3C is better.
Lias andersson should play over larsson

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Will be very ugly. Less than a six-goal victory for the Swedes should be an upset.

The only good thing about my country, Norway, been so bad this year, we don't have to watch our team getting mauled by Tre Kronor.

I regard the Canada-Latvia match as the Canadiens being on vacation that evening. The Swedes won't be on vacation tomorrow.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Will be very ugly. Less than a six-goal victory for the Swedes should be an upset.

The only good thing about my country, Norway, been so bad this year, we don't have to watch our team getting mauled by Tre Kronor.

I regard the Canada-Latvia match as the Canadiens being on vacation that evening. The Swedes won't be on vacation tomorrow.
You clearly didn't watch the Canada game.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Shades of 2002, Sweden will carry the game but not able to get the puck in the net, then lose by a freak goal in the dying minutes.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Depends on how Sweden comes out. If Sweden comes out putting pucks on net, getting in position in front of Merzlikins, redirecting pucks in front of the net and getting rebounds, this will be over fast and it will get ugly.

If Sweden tries to create slapshots in the low slot by cycling in the corner, this game will be some ugly 1-1 with no interesting chances on either side game.

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
Well first of all Finland has one NHL dman? Zero centers.

It's not whether players are in the NHL, it's whether they're good. Finland is obviously pretty good.

Also, according to Wikipedia, "Mikael Granlund is a professional ice hockey centre playing for the Minnesota Wild," but I guess it's not always a reliable source.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
It's not whether players are in the NHL, it's whether they're good. Finland is obviously pretty good.

Also, according to Wikipedia, "Mikael Granlund is a professional ice hockey centre playing for the Minnesota Wild," but I guess it's not always a reliable source.
No it's not because he wasn't a successful NHL C, they switched him to wing and he broke out 2016-207. He's played two full seasons as a winger now.

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
True. Admitted. Watched some other games with Latvia in the tournament though. Really, are you saying the Canadiens were present?

Under Hartley, Latvia could end up like service academy football in the United States. Considered also-ran with no talent, but their opponents seem to mysteriously suck and lose often.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Hmm. On paper, should be an easy win for Sweden. But, a part of me wishes for a miracle. The Latvian squad has been feisty this tournament, and if Sweden doesn't come out of the gate guns blazing... Well, anything can happen. Usually will.

Easy it will not be. Latvia will not just roll over and die, and their fans are always present and ready to cheer their team on. Come hell or high water, they'll be loud. And I love that. Sadly, from an objective viewpoint, one cannot expect anything less than a lopsided game.

Well he looks like a helluva WC center to me.

Mikael has been good on the big ice, always. But in the past, he has played more as a winger according to my (admittedly rusty) memory. In Minnesota, as Paul said, he's been a winger for two years now. Both with Mikko Koivu and Eric Staal playing as his center.

I think he is a natural center, to be honest, but is size-limited and can utilize his offense better as a winger. However, looking at our roster in this tournament, playing him as a C was only reasonable. And it's true; we don't have a single "true" C in our roster. Mikael has played that position in the past, yes, and so has Sebastian Aho - most memorably with Laine and Puljujärvi at his wings on the WJC.

For more information, I would like to refer to the Team Finland discussion thread.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
True. Admitted. Watched some other games with Latvia in the tournament though. Really, are you saying the Canadiens were present?
The Canadians were trying quite hard. Their coaches were changing up lines during the game, the players were grimacing after failing to score. Their chemistry was lacking, they weren't very good, but they were trying to win. It was no vacation for them.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
If Latvia can come up with a great effort from their goalie and have a quick transition from defense to offense when theres a turnover or takeway going Latvias way, it could be a frustrating game to watch.

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Weaker group though.

Its better to be in a strong group in the beginning because then when it matters its a bigger chance to meet weaker opponents. Swedens only chance was to win the group.

But Latvia will be hard to win against.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
The Canadians were trying quite hard. Their coaches were changing up lines during the game, the players were grimacing after failing to score. Their chemistry was lacking, they weren't very good, but they were trying to win. It was no vacation for them.

I dont think any team dont want to win or do the best they can at that moment. But they can be badly prepared , and undervalue the opponents. That can make any team loose.

I have seen Sweden loose against a lot weaker opponents then Latvia. this will not be a shure win for Sweden.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
this will be a hard game, latvia is a good team, they took usa and canada to ot. latvia has a team full of good khlers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->