GDT: Quarterfinal - May 17 - Finland vs Switzerland

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Manninen, what a nice addition to the team. Could we agree this little fella gives it certain - grandeur.

The inner conspiracy theorist in me awakened after I heard about Manninen moving to Jokerit. Did Suomela get moved from the active roster to make room for the bloomer in center position?

Manninen did good as center but I didn't see much wrong with Suomela either in the last games he played. I'm sure Late knew about the contract few days earlier. Either way, at this point I wouldn't go changing the current line up before such an important game vs SUI.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
5-2 Finland... would've preferred USA. We're better against North Americans than North Europeans. :(

mosare

Dec 19, 2013
A lot of very young talented NHL forwards will be on the ice! Just for that matter, it will be a very interesting game.

For the finish team:
Rantanen, age 21: 29 goals on 81 games for Colorado, Aho, age 20, 29 goals in 79 games for Carolina, Teräväinen, age 23, 23 goals in 82 games for Carolina

For the swiss team:
Meier, age 21, 21 goals in 81 game for San Jose, Fiala, age 21, 23 goals in 80 games for Nashville, Nino, age 25 (ok not that young anymore), only 18 goals in 63 games (bad season thourgh injuries)
It's a pitty for the swiss, that Hischier is not in.

The first line of finland is very strong, but the swiss plays also with 8 Nhler, more than ever, and have an Allstar with Josi in their team, therefore i still think, that will be a very close game.
Unfortunately hiller will not play; so the goalkeeping could decide the result against the swiss.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Finland is just so much better. This will not even be fun. Unless you are Finnish. Then it will be probably very much fun, I only give some doubt there as I don't know how Finns think, so I cannot be sure they think turkey-shots are fun. Finland wins by at least four goals.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Who'll be Team Switzerland's Eisenschmid in the QF?

I think it'll be Ghetto who switches Finland's lights out. :popcorn:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The first line of finland is very strong, but the swiss plays also with 8 Nhler, more than ever, and have an Allstar with Josi in their team, therefore i still think, that will be a very close game.
Unfortunately hiller will not play; so the goalkeeping could decide the result against the swiss.
If you think the finnish first line is very strong you must love the finnish second line which has two of the top scorers in this tournament.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Berra was skating yesterday. We'll see. Could get a high-scoring game, Switzerland tries to play and tries to create. They scored 4 times vs. the Czechs and 3 times vs. Russia and Sweden.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
I feel more confident now that the Swiss have their #2 goalie in the net. Finland will take this one, but it'll be a tight battle.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

Agree on most stuff, but I think we´re even worse off in goalies. Not even our best euro tenders playing this year.. Swiss wont lose on goalie, but might not win riding goalie.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
One of Finland and Sweden will probably loose. It feels lika that kind of WHC. I usally hope Finland wins but if it meen that Sweden will loose...

I want Finland and Sweden in the final. My heart dont. It doesent like having as many heartattacks as there shots and saves.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Agree on most stuff, but I think we´re even worse off in goalies. Not even our best euro tenders playing this year.. Swiss wont lose on goalie, but might not win riding goalie.
Säteri has the highest SVS% in the tournament. I think we're good...

Reactions: Ippenator

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
One of Finland and Sweden will probably loose. It feels lika that kind of WHC. I usally hope Finland wins but if it meen that Sweden will loose...

I want Finland and Sweden in the final. My heart dont. It doesent like having as many heartattacks as there shots and saves.

My prefered final would be Switzerland-Finland of course. But this never happens because both or one of them are eliminated before the final, mostly Switzerland first or they have to play already in quarterfinal against each other like this year.

mosare

Dec 19, 2013
If you think the finnish first line is very strong you must love the finnish second line which has two of the top scorers in this tournament.
truly i do. this was just based of the season they had in the NHL.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
My prefered final would be Switzerland-Finland of course. But this never happens because both or one of them are eliminated before the final, mostly Switzerland first or they have to play already in quarterfinal against each other like this year.
But who do u want to win? Or do the right team win, who ever wins?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Referees are:

Ref 12 JERABEK A (CZE)
Ref 48 RENEAU S (USA)
SBR 5 IVERSON B (CAN)
LM 75 LAZAREV G (RUS)
LM 60 LHOTSKY M (CZE)

Reactions: Koijari

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Less than 4 hours to go! Can't wait. Should be a good game.

Last time we played them the game went to OT. We won 3-2, it was last year. Switzerland has beaten us last time in 2015.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Finland is just so much better. This will not even be fun. Unless you are Finnish. Then it will be probably very much fun, I only give some doubt there as I don't know how Finns think, so I cannot be sure they think turkey-shots are fun. Finland wins by at least four goals.

A lot of people I know actually turned off the Latvia, Norway and South Korea games, because they were decided too early.

The losses against Denmark and Germany got the highest ratings.

I guess it is safe to say that Finns prefer a competitive match. Especially a match where they have to come from behind to win.

I wouldn't count out the Swiss considering the results against Denmark and Germany. If the goalie has a good night, the defense does their job and the Swiss get a couple of bounces, who knows.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Less than 4 hours to go! Can't wait. Should be a good game.

Last time we played them the game went to OT. We won 3-2, it was last year. Switzerland has beaten us last time in 2015.

2015 went to shootout and Finland won, too. Last time Switzerland beat Finland was in the 80-ies. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad