GDT: Quarterfinal - May 17 - Finland vs Switzerland

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The post you quoted prior to this one literally had nothing to do with senior hockey at all. It was all about junior hockey, yet you go on talking about something about coaches at the A-level and how im not getting it. What?

Are you gonna tell me that the guy who coached the team that completely embarassed both Canada and USA is the worst coach of the modern era? Lol ok. Has this always been the case for Finland, since you didn't win too much prior to him either? I've never once said that your coach is great and that he couldn't be part of the problem, you're awfully good at putting words in peoples mouths. You're responding to things i never even said. Please read more carefully.

It's all about producing no matter if you're a top6er or a 3rd liner. Kapanen isn't producing at either of these levels right now. If Kempe is considered a 3rd liner, then i would easily take him on my 3rd line over Kapanen, ainec. Speed alone isn't going to make you a great player if you believe that. It's hard to take you seriously if we're gonna start glorifying 3rd or even 4th liners here. A great national team have 2nd or even 1st liners playing 3rd line minutes. Not Kasperi Kapanens.

Im mostly just hearing excuses and wishful thinking from you. I don't see the point at all talking about how a future finnish team could look. As i have already said, there's a bunch of really talented finnish players. That's all we know. There's no reason to talk like everything is set and stone and that you are heading into world domination. A lot of the players you are mentioning have never even played 1 game in the NHL. Get off your high horse and start being a little more realistic rather than optimistic, for your own sake.
Well honestly you are the one embarrassing yourself here really. I was for sure the one starting with the junior hockey, as I brought up how great Finland has been with the junior hockey for years already. But you were exactly the one whom started right away debunking that fact with how badly Finland has done with the men’s hockey for the last couple of years. Of course I will answer that with exactly how bad our men’s national team head coach has really been, as the guy has been completely clueless in motivating and preparing the team for the most decisive games, and he has also every single time been completely piss poor and outcoached in the games that really mattered. His teams have been completely flat footed, scared and passive in every single decisive game that he has been a coach for at least three years at the moment. I have seriously never ever seen anything as apalling with any team in hockey so far, and I have been following top class hockey intensively since the 80’s.

Those wins against Canada and USA tell exactly nothing about how piss poor this guy is as a coach, as those games still were not exactly really decisive ones, and in fact Finland was also extremely lucky in both games. Also both Canada and USA happened to play in the exact way that suited this Finnish team, and with the team being very lucky in those games, it made the results look so much better than how the team was really playing after all.

Still about Kapanen, I brought him in the discussion only because he is one of the members of the last two Finnish U20 gold medal winning teams, and I was just pointing out how many players of those teams have become very good, or at least respectably good NHL players. And Kapanen has been so far definitely the latter one. I’m not in fact a big fan of plain speedsters in general, at least for any kind of a top 6 role, but Kapanen is still a pretty darn good bottom sixer with his great speed and otherwise at least ok skillset. I don’t see Kempe for sure as an any better player than Kapanen is, and anyway Kempe is a completely irrelevant and anyway a seriously overrated player for this discussion.

I’m not really at all a fan of Kapanen, but as I pointed out already, he is still one player from those gold medal junior teams whom has managed to get a steady position and has been in fact pretty good in his role in the NHL so far. There are many better and especially more skilled players in those gold medal teams. But there is still no reason to dismiss him being a good player in his role, and definitely not even close of being a bust because of that. And a good thing to remember is that he is still quite young and that he will most probably still develop a lot.

You are so much talking about me having wishful thinking here. But in fact I have pointed out mostly young and still inexperienced players whom have done already very well or at least well in the NHL, but at the same time you are mostly neglecting that and just projecting your clear wishful thinking of Finnish young players not panning out.

It is so obvious and clear that you very much hope for them to not in fact develop well and I of course wish the other way around, but I also have in many cases already good evidence of it happening even though these young players are very much still unfinished projects. Your bias against the Finns just shows up in an apalling way. Sorry, but I just absolutely have to call you out for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Well honestly you are the one embarrassing yourself here really. I was for sure the one starting with the junior hockey, as I brought up how great Finland has been with the junior hockey for years already. But you were exactly the one whom started right away debunking that fact with how badly Finland has done with the men’s hockey for the last couple of years. Of course I will answer that with exactly how bad our men’s national team head coach has really been, as the guy has been completely clueless in motivating and preparing the team for the most decisive games, and he has also every single time been completely piss poor and outcoached in the games that really mattered. His teams have been completely flat footed, scared and passive in every single decisive game that he has been a coach for at least three years at the moment. I have seriously never ever seen anything as apalling with any team in hockey so far, and I have been following top class hockey intensively since the 80’s.

Those wins against Canada and USA tell exactly nothing about how piss poor this guy is as a coach, as those games still were not exactly really decisive ones, and in fact Finland was also extremely lucky in both games. Also both Canada and USA happened to play in the exact way that suited this Finnish team, and with the team being very lucky in those games, it made the results look so much better than how the team was really playing after all.

Still about Kapanen, I brought him in the discussion only because he is one of the members of the last two Finnish U20 gold medal winning teams, and I was just pointing out how many players of those teams have become very good, or at least respectably good NHL players. And Kapanen has been so far definitely the latter one. I’m not in fact a big fan of plain speedsters in general, at least for any kind of a top 6 role, but Kapanen is still a pretty darn good bottom sixer with his great speed and otherwise at least ok skillset. I don’t see Kempe for sure as an any better player than Kapanen is, and anyway Kempe is a completely irrelevant and anyway a seriously overrated player for this discussion.

I’m not really at all a fan of Kapanen, but as I pointed out already, he is still one player from those gold medal junior teams whom has managed to get a steady position and has been in fact pretty good in his role in the NHL so far. There are many better and especially more skilled players in those gold medal teams. But there is still no reason to dismiss him being a good player in his role, and definitely not even close of being a bust because of that. And a good thing to remember is that he is still quite young and that he will most probably still develop a lot.

You are so much talking about me having wishful thinking here. But in fact I have pointed out mostly young and still inexperienced players whom have done already very well or at least well in the NHL, but at the same time you are mostly neglecting that and just projecting your clear wishful thinking of Finnish young players not panning out.

It is so obvious and clear that you very much hope for them to not in fact develop well and I of course wish the other way around, but I also have in many cases already good evidence of it happening even though these young players are very much still unfinished projects. Your bias against the Finns just shows up in an apalling way. Sorry, but I just absolutely have to call you out for it.
You said that Swedens lack of junior accomplishments could end up biting them in the ass, which is why i mentioned the fact that Sweden has never been dominant at that level. Finland has been more successful at both the j18 and WJC level in terms of gold medals. And im not just talking about the last few years, im talking WAY back. That's why i asked you, how much did all these previous junior accomplishments for Finland warrant into at the senior level? You have 2 gold medals all time at the WC level, zero gold medals at the olympic level. This is a fact whether you like it or not. Which is why i also brought up coaching. Has coaching always been a problem for Finland since you continuously love blaming your current coach? Was he coaching 20 years ago as well? You seems to think that accomplishments (gold medals) at the junior level is actually important long term. It's not, and this is something that you should reread many times. But a gold medal team could obviously be a very talented one. A silver medal one could be too.

Ok i agree. Finlands current coach is the worst coach we've ever seen. Finnishing 1st in a group consisting of Canada and USA is something that should be expected.

Again, it's going to be hard to take you seriously if we're gonna start mentioning 3rd or 4th liners he, whether they were part of some gold winning team or not. Can't see how that's even relevant to be fair. When i said that "Sweden had loads of Kapanens" you dismissed that with "he's one of the fastests players in the NHL so i doubt it!". Sweden have what, more than twice as many NHLers right now compared to Finland? And somehow Kapanen would be a unique one? Like i don't know, again it feels like you're mentioning every single finn here with a decent chance to be a fulltime NHLer. You are constantly saying that Kapanen is "pretty darn good!" in his role. Like seriously.

Unlike you, im a realist. Maybe you've heard of those? I've seen talented swedish players before not living up to expectations, not panning out. I've seen swedish teams winning gold at the WJC level. Doesn't mean that i considered every single player on that team likely to be a star in the NHL or even likely to make the NHL. Collberg was 2nd in scoring on that team behind the brilliant Max Friberg, but it was still very evident that someone like Filip Forsberg had more talent and upside than Collberg.

Im also not pathetic enough to wish players misfortune. Maybe it's something you're more familiar with? Just because im not overly optimistic about things like you're, clearly drifting away in your dreams as often as possible, doesn't make me a hater. I've already said that Finland have some really talented players, current and up and coming. What else do you want me to say?

Your claims of me wanting your players to fail are absolutely pathetic man. Grow up. You're clearly not even trying to read my posts with neutral eyes, always trying to see what's wrong with it responding to things i never even said. Clearly your mind is already set. Speaking of bias, weren't you the guy who liked that pathetic comment about swedes developing slower than other nationalies in the Quinton Hughes thread where i was arguing? Yeah, you're definitely one to speak about "bias against the finns". I think we can all see who's biased here. Pathetic. Grow up, and don't bother pulling some bullshit on me.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You said that Swedens lack of junior accomplishments could end up biting them in the ass, which is why i mentioned the fact that Sweden has never been dominant at that level. Finland has been more successful at both the j18 and WJC level in terms of gold medals. And im not just talking about the last few years, im talking WAY back. That's why i asked you, how much did all these previous junior accomplishments for Finland warrant into at the senior level? You have 2 gold medals all time at the WC level, zero gold medals at the olympic level. This is a fact whether you like it or not. Which is why i also brought up coaching. Has coaching always been a problem for Finland since you continuously love blaming your current coach? Was he coaching 20 years ago as well? You seems to think that accomplishments (gold medals) at the junior level is actually important long term. It's not, and this is something that you should reread many times. But a gold medal team could obviously be a very talented one. A silver medal one could be too.

Ok i agree. Finlands current coach is the worst coach we've ever seen. Finnishing 1st in a group consisting of Canada and USA is something that should be expected.

Again, it's going to be hard to take you seriously if we're gonna start mentioning 3rd or 4th liners he, whether they were part of some gold winning team or not. Can't see how that's even relevant to be fair. When i said that "Sweden had loads of Kapanens" you dismissed that with "he's one of the fastests players in the NHL so i doubt it!". Sweden have what, more than twice as many NHLers right now compared to Finland? And somehow Kapanen would be a unique one? Like i don't know, again it feels like you're mentioning every single finn here with a decent chance to be a fulltime NHLer. You are constantly saying that Kapanen is "pretty darn good!" in his role. Like seriously.

Unlike you, im a realist. Maybe you've heard of those? I've seen talented swedish players before not living up to expectations, not panning out. I've seen swedish teams winning gold at the WJC level. Doesn't mean that i considered every single player on that team likely to be a star in the NHL or even likely to make the NHL. Collberg was 2nd in scoring on that team behind the brilliant Max Friberg, but it was still very evident that someone like Filip Forsberg had more talent and upside than Collberg.

Im also not pathetic enough to wish players misfortune. Maybe it's something you're more familiar with? Just because im not overly optimistic about things like you're, clearly drifting away in your dreams as often as possible, doesn't make me a hater. I've already said that Finland have some really talented players, current and up and coming. What else do you want me to say?

Your claims of me wanting your players to fail are absolutely pathetic man. Grow up. You're clearly not even trying to read my posts with neutral eyes, always trying to see what's wrong with it responding to things i never even said. Clearly your mind is already set. Speaking of bias, weren't you the guy who liked that pathetic comment about swedes developing slower than other nationalies in the Quinton Hughes thread where i was arguing? Yeah, you're definitely one to speak about "bias against the finns". I think we can all see who's biased here. Pathetic. Grow up, and don't bother pulling some bull**** on me.
You mad bro? It is btw exactly you who doesn’t bother at all to think what the other poster has written. You still don’t get practically any of the points I made, and you are constantly arrogantly putting words to my mouth. And no, I didn’t like that comment in the Quinton Hughes thread. I did like that poster’s comment about not seeing any 18, 19 or even 20 year old Swedish defencemen rocking the NHL, as that comment was true, and in fact there was something that he said about not meaning to attack Swedish hockey that I liked in that post too.

I will not bother continuing discussing with you, as it would be like hitting my head against a wall.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Finland has been close to relegation twice at the WJC the last few years. Sweden sends a great team every year, always top 4. Always more players drafted etc.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Marjamäki's responsibility is to take action and - if necessary - show some real emotions if this game will start look a training hour of a B-series team of Zombostan, in a relegation match of divisional qualifiers of the district of Greater Dysfunctia. I'm sure guys in the roster have matured enough during this weird tournament to hold no illusions about Switzerland, but it's the coach's job to ensure that they stay awake and keep kicking. It's very hard to imagine Marjamäki raging and vocally summoning Perkele if guys begin shake due a period of bad luck, reffing decisions, stupid mistake, or Team Switzerland's good game and conduct in oncoming match.

That's the part of Marjamäki's coaching I'm most concerned of. His inability to recognize what he needs to do in moments of momentum changes, and act adequately. Like he would've anything to lose anymore than his next game.

Just put 2500 play pucks for the win of Team Switzerland. Not because I would want their win, but because if/when Finns f***'d this up, I feel personally little better with 2.8 factor.

Else, donation of 2500 automatic play fund doesn't mean a **** when lost. :D

Talk about insecurity, Lol. I don't believe Berryhill's level of tactical and strategic genius, nor to the will, sisu, skill, attitude, and determination of the team as a whole for that this tournament's curriculum would've been planned thing. No F****** way!

If I offend some fellow Finn swimming deep in the swamp of hockey patriotism, I'll do it happily, without regret, or apologies, while living in a hope I'll be wrong. Miss Fortuna can be a real *****, please give some to our guys tonight. PRKL!

I can see a Finnish wizard has started with his most powerful jinxing spells... :laugh:

No regrets. No apologies. Miss Fortuna was the B****!

7000 play pucks more...

Better system next time.

/END

LoveNHL

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden

Your claims of me wanting your players to fail are absolutely pathetic man. Grow up. You're clearly not even trying to read my posts with neutral eyes, always trying to see what's wrong with it responding to things i never even said. Clearly your mind is already set. Speaking of bias, weren't you the guy who liked that pathetic comment about swedes developing slower than other nationalies in the Quinton Hughes thread where i was arguing? Yeah, you're definitely one to speak about "bias against the finns". I think we can all see who's biased here. Pathetic. Grow up, and don't bother pulling some bull**** on me.
Junior hockey is great in Finland but everyone should keep in mind that they are juniors and are still far away from their full potential. Taking for granted that the national team will be strong because of bringing those youngsters is horribly wrong. Most of the young players need a lot more experience.

Reactions: Ippenator

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
@Team Finland:

This Is Control

"I can envision your perfect nation, your plan to sedate intellectual pacification. I have to believe that there's more that this. The truth in my hands, that I am not sick, I don't live in sin, that this is all wrong, the reality prison, dreams of human liberation.

Beating a dead horse with fear in your eyes accepted a battle with a war in mind. Singled out the target, big brother in the rifle sights. So you shoot to kill, death just to feel, thunder to fear, rain to know tears. Hide in the image the armor of cowards, hidden in vices just to deal, your elitist faction fueling the flames. In wonder of this revolutionary standstill.

Lifestyle choices, never in struggle? Short sighted goals, this is not freedom, this is control! The prisoner plotting his escape exclusive anarchy a joke in bad taste. Did you offer solution is that why he turned his head, or insult his ignorance, in experience, blindness. You cry for the satisfaction before you put in the work, accept possibilities as a dream, what the f***'s the fuss for? Is this sincerity or is this a joke?"

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
You mad bro? It is btw exactly you who doesn’t bother at all to think what the other poster has written. You still don’t get practically any of the points I made, and you are constantly arrogantly putting words to my mouth. And no, I didn’t like that comment in the Quinton Hughes thread. I did like that poster’s comment about not seeing any 18, 19 or even 20 year old Swedish defencemen rocking the NHL, as that comment was true, and in fact there was something that he said about not meaning to attack Swedish hockey that I liked in that post too.

I will not bother continuing discussing with you, as it would be like hitting my head against a wall.
Yeah "mad" because your claims are absolutely ridiculous. The fact you're writing things such as "You mad bro?" proves just about how immature and clueless you are. What makes you think that im not getting your points? My reading comprehension is clearly superior to yours. Not agreeing with someones points doesn't make them not understanding them. You are nothing but excuses. How am i puting words in your mouth? (stole that phrase from my earlier post didn't you?)

Just like i asked that guy, how many 18,19 year old defensemen "rock" (what a stupid f***ing word) the league regardless of nationality? What even defines "rock? There's different types of defensemen if you didn't know. Seems like that whole discussion went right above your head if you actually thought his claim was intelligent, since it was stupid as f***. And claiming not to be attacking a specific nation doesn't seems to mean anything to you though, as you're clearly accusing me for being anti-Finland here, even though i've strongly stated that im not. How did it mean anything in his case when he clearly wrote some stupid ass shit? As long as things suits your personal agenda i guess, you wouldn't even accuse me of such things if it didn't say that im from Sweden. You are the one being blatantly biased here.

You really do hate having intelligent, thoughtful discussions as i was initially trying to have with you until i realized you're absolutely hopeless. Facts doesn't mean anything to you. You love just speculating about things without knowing shit. As i stated earlier, and as VictorLustig just said, Finland is boom or bust at the WJC stage. Since you clearly doesn't seem to be aware of this, drifting away in your imagination as often as possible here's all of Finlands results. Finland men's national junior ice hockey team - Wikipedia Other than the 2 gold medal teams, your best place is 4th once the last 10 years. But i guess gold medal winning teams are only the good teams right?! Everyone else are busts.

Dude you've clearly hit your head a lot against the wall over the years, probably to get your brain going when it's not working. I will happily not receive another reply from you as you're starting to drag me into your stupidity. Good lord have mercy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
3xjsafi.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad