Quarter Season Thoughts

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Rhett Warrener compared Hamonic to Sarich. I disagree with that, to an extent. In his prime, Sarich was a really good shutdown dman. But Hamonic is a tier above for me. He is more on the Regehr level while being a better skater, passer and better producer. We still haven’t seen the best of Hamsandwich.
I actually agree with the Sarich comparison, except he's a better skater and less physical. Honestly someone like Hamrlik may be a better comparable.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I think our depth on D will show as the season goes along. I think the most disappointing part of the team for me has been the play of the top 4 in our own end. But they have improved lately and I expect them to trend upwards. No reason this team can't be leading the division by Xmas.

I think the last part to complete the team is more speed on line 4. I thought Freddie looked good there last game. We got numerous options in Stockton as well for call ups - Mangiapane, Hathaway, Hrivik. So if Glen and Brad are willing to embrace youth instead of dealing a pick for an older player then that might be the best.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think we still have a lot to improve. Definitely think we make the playoffs, but if we want to be a strong team, we need:

1) A lot better defense in front of Smith
2) Lack to step it up, or get a new backup. I do not want Smith getting burnt out with 70 games (even if Treliving says he has the condition for it)
3) A little more bottom 6 scoring. That will happen throughout time, we've seen better results this month.

If we play like we did against Washington on a consistent basis, we can be a strong contender in the Pacific. And this is the year to do it, because there aren't any other teams that are really taking the Pacific Division title away. This is our year to do it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
SN article which anoints our top pairing as one of the best in the league. Not sure if I agree with the analysis but I thought it was interesting: Acknowledging and analyzing the NHL’s top 5 defensive pairings - Sportsnet.ca
Best-Pairings-Performance.png
The Calgary Flames’ top pairing of Mark Giordano and Dougie Hamilton has the strongest underlying numbers in the league, but even though its goals-for percentage is strong, it’s less than it has earned so far. Unlike most lines and pairings on these lists, it’s not overachieving right now, which is downright scary for teams that face the Flames over the next couple months.

Best-Pairings-Offence.png
Calgary’s top pairing is great all around as you would expect, boasting the best all-around passing game of the group, and very rarely skating the puck out. Hamilton likes to carry the puck a fair amount, but Giordano doesn’t, he likes his passes far more.

Best-Pairings-Defence.png
Hamilton and Giordano don’t really stand out from the pack anywhere here, they’re just good at everything, which isn’t that surprising. Giordano personally is brilliant at removing the puck from opponents, but Hamilton isn’t as aggressive without the puck.

In my opinion the strongest pair overall is in Calgary, which could look even better if the Flames ever figure out who works best with T.J. Brodie, which could give Giordano and Hamilton a bit more support.

Last edited:
Reactions: TychoFan

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hamonic is getting vastly overrated defensively by those that like physical play... look at his shot suppression from 2015-2017 vs Prime Sarich:
iebr9gY.png

Okay, so he played more (and tougher) minutes than Sarich, which has to explain his weak shot suppression... what about vs Regehr
iuRbL36.png

Nope. Regehr was actually really damn good defensively, as everyone knew.

vs the average 3rd pair defenseman:
PRjyCGK.png

Hamonic is who the records of his play on the ice said he was. A guy who has historically played a lot of minutes, is solid offensively, but does very little to prevent shots, and shots become scoring chances as we've seen. Who is he comparable out of former Flames?

hFGMHVU.png

Him. If Dion were a Flame what would your expectations be? Big name, but he is what he is. Hamonic is what he is too. I don't mind Hamonic because he has a perfectly fine contract and because I think as a whole this team can make it work with him. But let's not optimistically pretend he's going to turn it around all that much.

That's also why the Brodie-Hamonic pair has struggled defensively. Hamonic is what he's been. Also since Brodie is a puck dominant player, you've got two guys on the pair who both want the puck on their stick and are uncomfortable when their partner is the one getting fancy. Stone works with Brodie because he likes to shoot and Brodie likes to pass, so Brodie passes to Stone who shoots.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Game isn't play on paper, nor hero charts.

Hamonic has had his struggles this season, but to suggest he's worse than an average 3rd pairing defensemen defensively because of shots against is an odd argument to make, especially given how that pairing faces the top lines of the other team so much.

On an unrelated note, I'd be curious to see how shots per game has changed since some of the years you are quoting.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Jankowski - A - hasn't played up to the level he's capable of, but has definitely shown flashes of why he's going to be a dominant 1C in the NHL. My only concern is he's been a bit too passive defensively. But then I remember Monahan a year ago and it's not even close how much better he is in his first year under Glen Gulutzan. Give him another 40 games under Gully and he will be in that Couturier / Koivu / Kopitar type of two way conversation. And wow, what goal scoring instinct. Has been robbed a few times on feeds from Bennett too.

Look i know it is your schtick to make ridiculous comments about your favorite players but come f'ing on with this BS.

He has played 13 games this year and in 11 has had zero points and that somehow shows you he will be a DOMINANT 1C?

Even the game he scored 3 points he wasn't dominant or looking like a Kopitar/Koivu/Couturier let alone a dominant #1c.

I know everyone loves Jankowski and are all in on his upside but I still am a little surprised at all the good grades/reviews he is getting and nobody seemingly concern with his complete lack of offense.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Advanced Stats also points to Klefbom as the best d-man in the league, by far.

Klefbom is crap.

Advanced stats are pretty much useless.

Reactions: Method Man

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Advanced Stats also points to Klefbom as the best d-man in the league, by far.

Klefbom is crap.

Advanced stats are pretty much useless.
Klefboms stats are in the toilet this year. There was only ever one stat that said he was anywhere near that level of player and the guy who made that now works in an NHL front office (AVS I think).

Anyways most people actually questioned why he would be up there instead of just believing it, I looked into his other underlying metrics last year and none of them were all that impressive so who knows.

Also have you seen the Oilers best D man by these stats this year? It's Nurse and in the few games I've seen it's been a great example of the stats and eye test matching up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad