TSN: Quarter point grades by Craig Button

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Eller is playing in a role that's very offensive centered and he still doesn't generate much offense.

If you put a guy with no offensive skill in an offensive role, that player still won't do much. Semin looks finished and got a ton of opportunities in offensive situations.

People here overplay the "role" factor. Plekanec plays a ton of tough minutes and he still produces excellent offensive numbers.

So in your incredibly biased and fallacious thinking, a "very offensive role" consists of playing 13 minutes a night (8th among all forwards on the team)?

Interestingly, Eller also happens to be 8th among all forwards in even-strength goals, this as he happens to be 8th among all forwards in forwards in even-strength ice time.

Meaning, factually, objectively, Eller is producing as well as he should be. That is irrefutable.

However, considering variables such as him having to adjust to a new role, and playing with a struggling Galchenyuk (goalscoring wise--affecting Eller's lack of assists), and not having the benefit of another legitimate top-six talent on his line, Eller has performed better than what should be expected of him.

Again, the player who happens to be 8th among all forwards in ice-time on the team also happens to be 8th in goalscoring.

The only legitimate argument then is about his lack of assists. Therefore, we must ask ourselves, why is it that a player who averaged roughly 14 assists a season playing heavy defensive minutes with offensive black holes for linemates on pace for only 4 assists this year?

Furthermore, why is that player on pace for only 4 assists when he had 22 of his 30 points in 42 games in the 12-13 season (that's an average of 40ish assists in 82 games)?

Simple logic states that there are undervalued (perhaps intentionally so by some) variables to explain this anomaly. The most obvious and simple of such variables include his linemate, Galchenyuk shooting 5% worser than his career percentage. On top of that, the Eller and Galchenyuk have had to play with a revolving door of 4th liners for the entire season.

When we consider that Eller is shooting a career best, 15%, on the only thing he variable he alone controls (goal scoring), Eller is producing well. Frankly, only people with a clear agenda against Eller or at the very least, people who fail to understand the many factors involved in production/statistics are the people who would complain about Eller's production so far.

Sadly, this board is full of immature people who refuse to admit their wrong or change their minds when evidence is brought up to refute their error, so I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
So in your incredibly biased and fallacious thinking, a "very offensive role" consists of playing 13 minutes a night (8th among all forwards on the team)?

Interestingly, Eller also happens to be 8th among all forwards in even-strength goals, this as he happens to be 8th among all forwards in forwards in even-strength ice time.

Meaning, factually, objectively, Eller is producing as well as he should be. That is irrefutable.

However, considering variables such as him having to adjust to a new role, and playing with a struggling Galchenyuk (goalscoring wise--affecting Eller's lack of assists), and not having the benefit of another legitimate top-six talent on his line, Eller has performed better than what should be expected of him.

Again, the player who happens to be 8th among all forwards in ice-time on the team also happens to be 8th in goalscoring.

The only legitimate argument then is about his lack of assists. Therefore, we must ask ourselves, why is it that a player who averaged roughly 14 assists a season playing heavy defensive minutes with offensive black holes for linemates on pace for only 4 assists this year?

Furthermore, why is that player on pace for only 4 assists when he had 22 of his 30 points in 42 games in the 12-13 season (that's an average of 40ish assists in 82 games)?

Simple logic states that there are undervalued (perhaps intentionally so by some) variables to explain this anomaly. The most obvious and simple of such variables include his linemate, Galchenyuk shooting 5% worser than his career percentage. On top of that, the Eller and Galchenyuk have had to play with a revolving door of 4th liners for the entire season.

When we consider that Eller is shooting a career best, 15%, on the only thing he variable he alone controls (goal scoring), Eller is producing well. Frankly, only people with a clear agenda against Eller or at the very least, people who fail to understand the many factors involved in production/statistics are the people who would complain about Eller's production so far.

Sadly, this board is full of immature people who refuse to admit their wrong or change their minds when evidence is brought up to refute their error, so I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

When you play with a guy who can shoot the puck like Galchenyuk and a lot with another guy who is a good shooter in Semin and you have ONE assist in 22 games, that's a clear sign that you are a terrible playmaker and have poor vision. That's a big part of playing offense in the NHL....but let's ONLY look at goals because it suits your argument...

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
When you play with a guy who can shoot the puck like Galchenyuk and a lot with another guy who is a good shooter in Semin and you have ONE assist in 22 games, that's a clear sign that you are a terrible playmaker and have poor vision. That's a big part of playing offense in the NHL....but let's ONLY look at goals because it suits your argument...

:laugh: Did you seriously just use subjective points to counter an argument that highlighted factual and objective evidence? Seriously?

Yeah, I will no longer waste my time digging up facts in an attempt to argue with you about this if you're going to result to terrible points like these.

There are people who share similar thinking on Eller as you do who are able to back up their points far better than you are. I'll focus my attention to them now.

Subban has played a lot of minutes with the Galchenyuk, he too must be a terrible playmaker and passer, right? Because he isn't helping him score. Right? Galchenyuk must also be a terrible playmaker and passer, since he isn't helping Semin, "the good shooter" in 2015 score. Sigh.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
DD should have an A. Moving to the 3rd line and not being a target for top defenders has made him the most (or one of?) productive 3rd line center in the league, that deserves an A.

DD has been a big surprise,did he make Patch ,Patch? His linemates also have been a big surprise,who else could you put him with and get the results? Flash has been so impressive,will he be here next season? Bournival to replace him? clear that DLR is far from Flash. Will Weise be signed?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I have routinely criticised Therrien for his deployment of Eller, however this narrative needs to stop. At some point the responsibility needs to shift onto the player. Eller has been mediocre at best despite getting enough minutes to warrant some production. Fleischmann and Weise are doing just fine scoring, while Gallagher worked his ass off to eventually get promoted to the top line opposite Pacioretty. Playing on the wing doesn't suit Eller, but his impact thus far has not warranted any powerplay time. Even Desharnais, notorious powerplay dud, has proven otherwise.

Simply put, Eller has run out of excuses.

Of those grades, I think Emelin deserves a B and Desharnais B+

And he has 6 goals as the third line winger. What do you want him to do pot 30 on the year, considering that is better than everyone but patches on this team?

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
DD should have an A. Moving to the 3rd line and not being a target for top defenders has made him the most (or one of?) productive 3rd line center in the league, that deserves an A.

Agreed. These are the changes I'd make.

Desharnais - A

Pacioretty - B+

Plekanec - B+

Flynn - B

Mitchell - A

DSP - B

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
And he has 6 goals as the third line winger. What do you want him to do pot 30 on the year, considering that is better than everyone but patches on this team?

Ellers goal totals will regress and his assists will go up. I anticipate at this rate he will match his production as a defensive player in previous years.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I'd like to see how Eller does if paired with Drsharnais and also how Chuck does if he had Flash instead of Eller. I have a feeling both lines would benefit. Desharnais would be feeding Eller goals while Galchenyuk would have a more creative winger. Just my 2 cents.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

Just stop.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Eller played his best game of the season last night. Imagine that...add speed and space is created. Andrighetto has a legitimate chance to establish himself as an NHLer....will he seize the opportunity?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->