TSN: Quarter point grades by Craig Button

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Patch, Gally, DD, Flash, and Weise are all on pace for career seasons, might as well shuffle the lines to better suit Chucky.

Shuffle the lines for a period. If it doesn't work, put them right back.

Why do people act like if you shuffle the lines once, players are suddenly broken? So silly.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If you didn't have rose colored glasses on you'd realize that having Eller in on that rush forced the Goalie to respect the pass and cheat just enough to create an opening for Flash. Get a clue.

Also, the puckcarrier was vulnerable because Eller poked it off a teammate's stick just BEFORE Fleischmann swooped in and completed the ambush.

Last edited:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
PK's been our best D no doubt.

But after that, I'd have to give the nod to Petry slightly above Markov. Not to knock on Markov's play, he's been very good but P3 has been lights out imo. Especially since he's been carrying a guy like Emelin until recently.

He's also number 2 dman in my opinion.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
lol i see nothing good coming from this thread..

Maybe the movie or gaming threads? There's hysteria and undeniable agendas on mostly every hockey related thread. That's the reality here. And yet we come back.

I have to admit as well, that when the harsher moderation came in, my butt was in a knot. But it's working well, for sure. Hats off, guys and gals. You know who you are. My respect.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

But after that, I'd have to give the nod to Petry slightly above Markov. Not to knock on Markov's play, he's been very good but P3 has been lights out imo. Especially since he's been carrying a guy like Emelin until recently.

Yeah well guys like Petry never get the credit they deserve. He's been the habs most reliable defensman all season. He's not flashy and doesn't notch that many points which is why Button probably gave him a B but he gets the job done better than anyone else in out zone.

A- in my opinion. Markov B+ Subban A.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal

That's just your silly mancrush talking. Markov has been lights out and easily better than Petry so far, as good as Petry's been.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
That's just your silly mancrush talking. Markov has been lights out and easily better than Petry so far, as good as Petry's been.

I don't know about that. If Markov has been better than Petry this season it hasn't been by that much.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Yeah, he's clearly just going by point totals. He probably watched 1 habs game all year and made his choices.

Love Subban but A+? nope.
If Subban gets an A+, Petry deserves at least an A-.
DD with a B while Weise and Flash get an A? Even if you hate DD, you have to admit that he's been excellent on that third line. Button probably thinks DD is still playing on the first with Patch lol
If we go by expectations for teh player, how is Condon only at B+? The habs could not have asked anymore from a backup goalie, especially a rookie.

There are so many here that I can't agree with. I understand that his job is to pay attention to every team equally and he can't devote all his attention to the Habs but Pacioretty with an A??? I mean, he gets points but he's been pretty bad. Watch one habs game and it's clear that something is up with the guy. I'd give him a B-.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Plekanec line plays against a lot of top lines, so to me that offsets the ENG points. It's not like when Sather had Gretzky out there padding his stats the year he scored 92.

Plus Galchenyuk has 5 of his 13pts on the PP, only 8 at ES in 22 games. On one side you can say his wingers are not great, but he hasn't made them better either. Plus his minutes are easier than Plekanec's.

And I thought I was a really bad Homer, until reading the Gretzky remark that's like way out there with Saturn and Jupiter, just my opinion but Gretzky was a once in a lifetime talent or twice counting Super Mario!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
DSP shouldn't be a C-

Yeah, that's a puzzling one. DSP has gone from a slow player with no guaranteed full time spot, to a leaner, faster player, who is used up and down the lineup. He's pretty much doing everything you can ask for, other than scoring goals. I give him a B-.

Flynn and Byron also have low grades but not as glaring as DSP.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, that's a puzzling one. DSP has gone from a slow player with no guaranteed full time spot, to a leaner, faster player, who is used up and down the lineup. He's pretty much doing everything you can ask for, other than scoring goals. I give him a B-.

Flynn and Byron also have low grades but not as glaring as DSP.
Yup DSP deserves better too.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Again Monctonscout changes his viewpoint.

ALL OF LAST YEAR:

"Desharnais is not on our first line, he doesn't play more minutes than Plek" - despite playing with our best (or top line) winger, pacioretty.

NOW:

"Eller is on our 2nd line winger" - despite playing 3rd line minutes.

Which one is it 'scout'?

You didn't want DD evaluated as a 'Top line centre' due to icetime because it didn't support YOUR argument.

Now you want Eller evaluated as a '2nd line winger' while ignoring icetime to support YOUR argument. .

I don't expect a response, because each time I shine some light on this you just ignore it.

While I agree with you that Eller is the #3LW I do wonder what those evaluating DD of last year will say. If you say these two positions are related, then if I say Eller is #3LW does it make DD #1B/2C last year?

I suppose it's a question you should answer yourself as well. I feel Eller is #3LW and DD was #1B. That's just my take.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Desharnais deserve credit for Desharnais' points. End of story.
Just like Flash deserve credit for his own. But again, you guys ALWAYS think that Desharnais is the catalyst of everything, just like he was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO important to Pacioretty's success.

Well, Pacioretty is on pace for 41 goals/ 74 points, career high away from Desharnais AND NOT playing in a sheltered offensive way. Yet, i heard you and thousand of Habs Fans saying for 3 years that Plekanec wouldn't be able to make Pacioretty produce like DD and that he and Desharnais had that "craaaaaazy chemistry" that couldn't be broken.

I think Plekanec and DD aren't too far off offensively(Plekanec being better overall player and better shooter of course).

What I do find weird is you're comparing the pace of Max-DD-Weise/PAP/Gallagher vs Max-Plekanec-Gallagher full time.

I think Gallagher on the RW helps a lot. When Max gets Plekanec and say, DSP, will he still have a PPG pace? We'll see. I think it will decrease and that's only normal considering how good Gallagher is!

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Eller is playing 13:30 a game and no PP time, not sure when that had become the norm for top 6 minutes.

I have routinely criticised Therrien for his deployment of Eller, however this narrative needs to stop. At some point the responsibility needs to shift onto the player. Eller has been mediocre at best despite getting enough minutes to warrant some production. Fleischmann and Weise are doing just fine scoring, while Gallagher worked his ass off to eventually get promoted to the top line opposite Pacioretty. Playing on the wing doesn't suit Eller, but his impact thus far has not warranted any powerplay time. Even Desharnais, notorious powerplay dud, has proven otherwise.

Simply put, Eller has run out of excuses.

Of those grades, I think Emelin deserves a B and Desharnais B+

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I have routinely criticised Therrien for his deployment of Eller, however this narrative needs to stop. At some point the responsibility needs to shift onto the player. Eller has been mediocre at best despite getting enough minutes to warrant some production. Fleischmann and Weise are doing just fine scoring, while Gallagher worked his ass off to eventually get promoted to the top line opposite Pacioretty. Playing on the wing doesn't suit Eller, but his impact thus far has not warranted any powerplay time. Even Desharnais, notorious powerplay dud, has proven otherwise.

Simply put, Eller has run out of excuses.

Of those grades, I think Emelin deserves a B and Desharnais B+
This is funny.

Desharnais has lead our team before in PP scoring. He's got a better career PP production rate than Pacioretty. And 50% of the time, he's stuck screening the goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->