Quake II Appreciation Thread

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
q2.jpg

Easily one of the best FPS's ever turns 20 this year (holy cow I'm old, I was a Freshman in High School when it was released :laugh: ). And it is still played by many, including myself.

Great Graphics (for the time) that still kinda hold up, a pretty solid campaign for the time as well, and oh yeah...

Dat boss soundtrack:

:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It was a huge leap forward in terms of technology, but I think it's ultimately the worst Quake other than 4, which doesn't count.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
My first game with a real 3D card.

I installed a Creative Voodoo Banshee 16mb in my old 200mmx. Couldn't believe my eyes. Same with NHL98. I was blown away.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I believe that it was supposed to be a new IP, hence the very different aesthetic and monsters, but both their first and second naming choices faced legal issues, so they eventually just made it a sequel to their last IP.

I've always been more partial to the original Quake and its various incarnations (vQuake, GLQuake, WinQuake and, of course, QuakeWorld), but Quake II was very good, too. The time that I put into playing it online almost entirely went to the Threewave CTF (capture the flag) mod, which was more polished for Quake II than it had been for Quake. CTF beat the pants off of deathmatch mode.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I used to beta test Q2 CTF maps. The online mods is what made this game so great. When Q3 came out they killed the franchise by moving away from that format to the lameness of the arena. It was about that time Valve stepped in and took the awesomeness of Q2 CTF and raised the bar with their online games and mods.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I used to beta test Q2 CTF maps. The online mods is what made this game so great. When Q3 came out they killed the franchise by moving away from that format to the lameness of the arena. It was about that time Valve stepped in and took the awesomeness of Q2 CTF and raised the bar with their online games and mods.

Moving away from what format? Quake 3 had the best mods in the series and was undeniably the best Quake title by the time CPMA came out.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Moving away from what format? Quake 3 had the best mods in the series and was undeniably the best Quake title by the time CPMA came out.

I was a heavy Q2 and Q3 player and I had far more fun playing the mods for q3 than q2 and Quake 3 overall. Quake 2 seemed "clunky" to me. I'm looking forward to Quake Champions despite the backlash it is getting from people complaining that it's Overwatch mixed with Quake. I can't help but be excited as an avid fan of the series. Those were the highlights of my gaming days. Using IRC heavily and playing in CPL, QIL etc. will be hard to beat. I remember spectating some of the bigger TDM games in those leagues....cK, ichorvile, ]km[, stickmen etc. good times.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wasn't a fan of Quake III Arena because they made it too fast, IMO. Q1 and Q2 were already fast, but Q3 took it up a notch so that movement and sparring felt unrealistic and superhuman. I suppose that a lot of people like that, but it's a turn off for me. I wasn't a fan of Unreal Tournament, either, for similar reason. If Q3 had felt like Q1 and Q2, but just had better graphics, better netcode and the like, I might've been more into it. I'm sure that there were other factors, like the lack of a singleplayer campaign and having grown a bit tired of Quake-style online play, but the unrealistic speed of gameplay is what I recall as the main turn off.

Johnny LaRue

Jul 21, 2005
Abbotsford
My first game with a real 3D card.

I installed a Creative Voodoo Banshee 16mb in my old 200mmx. Couldn't believe my eyes. Same with NHL98. I was blown away.

Quake 2 was my first "3D accelerated" game too. I too was blown away. I had something like a Voodoo 3DFX card or something.

I really liked Quake2 CTF.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I wasn't a fan of Quake III Arena because they made it too fast, IMO. Q1 and Q2 were already fast, but Q3 took it up a notch so that movement and sparring felt unrealistic and superhuman. I suppose that a lot of people like that, but it's a turn off for me. I wasn't a fan of Unreal Tournament, either, for similar reason. If Q3 had felt like Q1 and Q2, but just had better graphics, better netcode and the like, I might've been more into it. I'm sure that there were other factors, like the lack of a singleplayer campaign and having grown a bit tired of Quake-style online play, but the unrealistic speed of gameplay is what I recall as the main turn off.

It's funny you say this because the speed is what made me like the game so much. It's also the reason I'll everyonce in a while fire up quake live for some Clan Arena. It's also the reason why I can't get into COD, BF, Counter Strike and so on. Too slow for me and snipers **** me off lol.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I used to play the crap out of this game on a 233 mhz pentium with insane MMX technology on a Diamond Monster 3D card. I'd log into PC Gamer's servers and tear it up on my insane 56k modem.

<3

CTF with the grappling hook was awesome. I still think the railgun in this game is one of the most satisfying FPS weapons ever. The look, the feel, the sound, the damage... yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad