OT: Puns n' COSes

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I see it as akin to endorsements by various unions (Police, Fire, Teachers, Services Employers, etc), Business coalitions, the Chamber of Commerce, newspapers, NRA, and so forth. If the issues or the expected actions of a candidate affect you, your outlook, or your business it is a civic right for them to express a preference. The Nashville Predators is a sports team but it's also a business tied to Metro government via their lease, taxes, and their location in the city. It's a valid reason to have an opinion--but the Preds "business" and the Preds "my team" are not the same thing and shouldn't have been represented as such.

Gnash shouldn't have been involved. This was Sean Henry as President of the Nashville Predators representing the team/business, and shouldn't have been treated as an endorsement by the players/mascot/broadcasters, etc. That was overstepping bounds but it's also an overreaction to make it about the Preds as opposed to the ownership.

As an out-of-towner, I find this to be puzzling. You don't want your mascot to be in any controversy.

Here in Wisconsin, many teachers unions run their own candidate(s) for the local school boards. In Milwaukee, they have a majority on the School Board and obstruct every Milwaukee School Superintendent who tries to reform anything (which I think is odd, but they get terrific benefits and pay for a system that averages a C- for a grade). The teachers are on both sides of the negotiating table.

The state teachers union also runs their own candidate for the Department of Public Instruction, the people who oversee all school names, mascots (no Indians!) and curriculums. (A few years ago, the DPI threatened to totally defund a public school who had Warriors as their mascot. Nobody bothered to check that it was a Knight in armor instead of an Indian, but that is Madison in a nutshell.) Now the head of DPI is running against the Governor of the last 8 years. The state teachers union doesn't understand why they get flack for their multi million dollar fundraising and endorsements. That seems sort of normal to me, except for the huge amount of money they have, but running your own candidate for governor does seem a little "over the top" as the English say. The Wisconsin police and firefighters don't do any of that.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
@adsfan That was my point. While my choice would be to stay out of politics completely* Sean Henry is president of a business and has a right to an opinion. However, it should have been completely separate in presentation from "the team". Any endorsement with him should have had him in a non-Preds-themed suit and tie, no logo background, no catfish, no mascot, no players. To me it's no different from Lee Beaman, owner of multiple car dealerships, having an opinion about the AMP bus lines, but in his case it was as Lee Beaman--not as Beaman Automotive nor his employees.

*The dirt-starved media will not separate the two no matter what

Reactions: adsfan

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Talk about random crap happening... I'm at Chick Fil A in Evansville Indiana, and there is a young guy in a Preds Tshirt... who gets into a car with District of Columbia license plates....

Reactions: Adz

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Never forget the freedom we have to do such mundane things as argue about hockey on a message board was purchased with the courage and sacrifice of so very many.

Heartfelt thanks to all who served and grateful remembrances to the families of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Yesterday we had 30 people trying to enter a certification test room that had 15 spots open. A joy trying to get everyone in and out as fast as possible.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
On the music front.. if you like the thought of chill/technical jazz (with metal inspirations) instrumentals, give these bands a chance.

In order, they are CHON, Owane (my new favorite, and I believe he’s from Finland), Plini, Polyphia, and Intervals. These bands have NO vocals and really aren’t heavy at all.

Very relaxing yet will put your brain to work.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I hate to be that guy but take all this music talk to the OT thread, ok?
Done! Went away for a day and came back to see all those great posts!
I like metal, it I'm too old school for all of this newer stuff. Gimme some Metallica and Megadeth anyday over the new stuff, at least it still sounded like singing was going on.
That has been my challenge with the more modern groups too. So much incredible music but the growls had always turned me off. It always changes but right now I have Gojira, Rivers of Nihill, Allegaeon, and Slugdge at the top of my playlist.
Actually discovered I'm a bigger fan of some of the European power metal than I am of all of the black/death metal.
I like it all, so the Pathfinder mention was noted. I've enjoyed Gloryhammer lately, hilarious.
Yep. I'm totally normal since I listen to every genre of music. Including K-POP.
:sarcasm: ?
Baby Metal?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Babies play metal?
;)
http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F05%2Fbabydrummer_twitter.gif

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Surprisingly, Baby Metal is not terrible. I don't actively listen to their music, but if they were the opening act for someone I really wanted to see, I wouldn't be mad.
I remember hearing about them via revisiting the Dragonforce catalogue a couple years back, it seemed like such an improbable gimmick... after a couple listens on YouTube I'm not sure I could listen again, but still ok, it works in its way. And the music seems to be done pretty well. They seem to be popular and have a following and for all that it might have started out as a gimmicky idea, I also like to hear things that are new and different - which can be a difficult thing to find anymore - and that's definitely something I've never heard before or thought I'd ever hear. So that's a plus.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Nashville is growing so much and so fast! Places I used to park for games are buildings now - just five or six years ago.

Nashville Yards (where LifeWay used to be):

425617047_NashvilleYardsMay192018render4.thumb.png.0f7491d2317d09ff8663aaa4ec2735de.png

Second Avenue Partners:

59468804_2ndAvePartnersJune42018render1.png.9ef76fc570a283bc01d77c86bd03d467.png

5th and Broadway:

Screen_Shot_2018_05_30_at_11_13.48_AM.5b0ed8d8de592.thumb.jpg.e0fb2d10a9117f8b313bfe9752c2fa0a.jpg

Not to mention the hotels and apartments along both KVB and Broadway that are currently under construction. And another at 8th and Demonbreun slated to start soon next to the recently completed Cambria Suites Hotel.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Stayed at Hyatt Place a few weeks back and realized that pretty much everything around it was parking not so long ago. So bizarre.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
At least you will get to see yours again. Except for the few they missed, mine were all stolen. :-(

Safe travels, 101!

Godspeed. Will you at least get to have some of the beer?

Vegas next week ... a couple days in southern Kentucky ... then to Baltimore to drop the car off at the port and get on a plane. After that, three years in Germany with beer, wine and work trips across the continent.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Vegas next week ... a couple days in southern Kentucky ... then to Baltimore to drop the car off at the port and get on a plane. After that, three years in Germany with beer, wine and work trips across the continent.

You know my address. Well, Kitty does, anyway. Feel free to ship some over. :-D

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
My son is going to an Atlanta MLS game tonight. I played soccer in London and Paris, but I only care about the EPL in soccer. The teams I like are Chelsea, the Preds, the Titans, the Cubs, the Bulls, and my son likes the Lakers so I support them also. /

Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer are both returning for Top Gun 2. Our lives now have meaning. ;) /

The last surviving munchkin died today at age 98.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
My wife is a director at a hospital. Her boss is forcing her to wear scrubs so she can relate to the workers. She wore them for 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad