Punchy's first rubbish 04 draft. (dogpileontherabbit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Punchy's first rubbish 04 draft. updated again.

Here you go mates. This is what I see as my final first round draft selections. Close it mods till draft day.

Be gentle, it is my first time...... (;

1. Washington Capitols - Alexander Ovechkin
2. Pits Penguins - Yevgeny Malkin
3. Chicago Blackhawks - Cam Barker
4. Columbus Bluejackets - Radislav Olesz
5. Poenix Coyotes - Al Radulov
6. New York Rangers - Rob Schremp
7. Florida Panthers - Andrew Ladd
8. Carolina Huricanes- Marek Schwarz
9. Anahiem Mighty Ducks- A.J. Thelen
10. Atlanta Thrashers - Lauri Toukonen
11. Los Angeles Kings - Billy Ray Staffordrus(funniest mullet photo ever on page)
12. Minnesota Wild - Boris Valabik
13. Buffalo Sabres - Alexander Picard
14. Edmonton Oilers - Alvaro Montoya
15. New York Islanders - Mike Green
16. Nashville Predators - Wojtek Wolski
17. St. Louis Blues - Enver Lisin
18. Montreal Canadiens- Kyle Chipchura
19. Calgary Flames - Wes Oniel
20. Dallas Stars - Dave Bolland
21. Vancouver Canucks - Jakub Sindel
22. New Jersey Devils - Oscar Hedman
23. Ottawa Senators - Carl Soderberg
24. New York Rangers (TOR) - Brian Bickell
25. San Jose Sharks - Adam Berti
26. Washington Capitals (BOS) - Kirill Lyman
27. Colorado Avalanche - Johan Franson
28. Edmonton Oilers (PHI) - Evan McGrath
29. Tampa Bay Lightning - Ladsilav Smid
30. Washington Capitals (DET) - Lukas Kaspar

There you go mates. What do you think? I have read everyone elses mocks as well as several of the ranking rags and here is my best guess.

The Canes GM has said that Schwarz wouldn't slip past them but that he doesn't see him as being there. I reckon that means he will take him if available.

After the first 13, I think the rest would be late first (at best) to mid second (likely) during an average draft year based on what I have read about them. I don't reckon most of the back 17 first rounders to be as good as last years second rounders but, I am basing that opinion on the nonsense that I have read in the papers so take it with a grain.

I wanted to gamble with a couple of picks and that is one of them.

I also moved Chipchura to the Habs. I know that he would be EXACTLY the kind of player that I would want for the team if I were Gainey but, don't know if he will be there when they pick and also, am not any bloody good at this stuff anyways so there you are.

Cheers again.

Last edited:

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Well, I can't see the Rangers passing on Schremp. Also I don't think that Montoya will be picked before Schwarz.
Hedman is a bit high and both Lisin and Radulov a bit low.
Anyway a good read, gotta love the mock drafts. :D

P.S.: Who is Bolin??? :dunno: :help:

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
punchy1 said:
12. Buffalo Sabres - Boris Valabik
13. Edmonton Oilers - E. Bolin (sp?)
14. Min[n]esota Wild - Wes Oniel

Just FYI, the Wild can't finish above the Sabres or the Oilers. (Can they?)

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I don't think the Thrashers can pick ahead of the Ducks unless, of course, they win the draft. Also, as it now stands, the Ducks will before Carolina---although that could change.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
First off, nice 1st Mock of the season - I like most of the picks 1-18. O'Nel to Minny, Valabik at #12 & Sindel to the Preds.

The Ranger's have been impressed by Ladd, I can't see them passsing him up if he's there. Though Thelen is a great choice as well, I doubt they'd have him higher than Ladd at this point.

E. Bolin - I think he meant Dave Bolland....?

Chipchura might go a little bit higher.

SCHWARZ(No "T" in his name, everyone will keep getting this one wrong) - he'll go alot higher, IMO.

The Rangers would never take Bickell with those names still on the board(Radulov, Smid, etc)

I'd have Lepisto, Meszaros, Salmonsson, J. Shultz in the first round.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Bluenote13 said:
First off, nice 1st Mock of the season - I like most of the picks 1-18. O'Nel to Minny, Valabik at #12 & Sindel to the Preds.

The Ranger's have been impressed by Ladd, I can't see them passsing him up if he's there. Though Thelen is a great choice as well, I doubt they'd have him higher than Ladd at this point.

E. Bolin - I think he meant Dave Bolland....? (Cheers mate, you are right)

Chipchura might go a little bit higher.

SCHWARZ(No "T" in his name, everyone will keep getting this one wrong) - he'll go alot higher, IMO. Cheers again mate.

The Rangers would never take Bickell with those names still on the board(Radulov, Smid, etc) I thought they might take him as from what I could gather he would fit a need. I can understand your position though.

I'd have Lepisto, Meszaros, Salmonsson, J. Shultz in the first round.

Cheers mates.

I have never done one of these so I reckoned I would make some mistakes.

I fancy the draft order to go as I had it due to trades and the way I saw teams finishing but after looking at it. I think I changed some teams around when I only wanted to put the players there.

Sorry about that. I will fix it.

I almost feel like I should have simply put the players in the order I thought they would go in the draft but in cases like the Kings and a couple of others, they will be selecting different players for different reasons then most would rank them and I wanted to state why.

As to Shwarz and Montoya. I put a thread (Montoya vs Shwarz. who is better) on the propsects board and it actually came back split. I do know that the Kings rather fancy drafting NCAA players well before any other talent pool if they can (Taylor has shown that he will sacrifice public opinion to take an NCAAer) and since it were so close, and based on Taylors drafting history, I chose Montoya there.

Truly though, I have only seen either of them during the wjcs and a couple of other games so, I truly have no idea who is better.

Let me have a go at fixing things and thanks again. Keep the hammer coming. It is helping learn how to do this.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
punchy1 said:
As to Shwarz and Montoya. I put a thread (Montoya vs Shwarz. who is better) on the propsects board and it actually came back split. I do know that the Kings rather fancy drafting NCAA players well before any other talent pool if they can (Taylor has shown that he will sacrifice public opinion to take an NCAAer) and since it were so close, and based on Taylors drafting history, I chose Montoya there.

I have seen reputable people suggest Schwarz could go top 10. I haven't heard the same of Montoya. That's not to say Montoya won't go first, my point is more that both goalies will probably go fairly high.

The recent trend has seen goalies go as high or even higher than they rated heading into the draft. Krahn and Dipietro for example both went higher than most thought.

The Flames head scout mentioned it being a strong year for goalies and that D. Sutter has given them the go ahead to take a goalie if they feel strongly about one. He mentioned Schwarz, Dubnyk and Montoya by name which suggests to me the Flames consider all 3 to be potential first rounders and guys they might be looking at.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
solid mock draft, especially considdering that it's your first.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that would see Montoya going over Schwarz, or the Rangers going for a defensman with their first pick. I'd be thrilled to see the Canes take Mike Green at #9, if that's where they end up.
Only real omission I see is Lepisto, but with all the prospects out there it's understandable that someone would get left out.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
WVUCanesFan said:
solid mock draft, especially considdering that it's your first.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that would see Montoya going over Schwarz, or the Rangers going for a defensman with their first pick. I'd be thrilled to see the Canes take Mike Green at #9, if that's where they end up.
Only real omission I see is Lepisto, but with all the prospects out there it's understandable that someone would get left out.

I had an email answer from on of the lower eschelon Kings staff and in it he said in response to my question (which goalie would the Kings draft in your opinion of these three) he said that he fancied they too would be after SHCWARZ.(in caps to remember how to spell it).

He said that only DT knows who he would take and that Montoya would aslo be a solid choice as would blaouehafab but in the end, he reckoned that SCHWARZ has the better shot at becoming a true special and elite talent type while Montoya looks to be either a Trevor Kidd or a Brilliant steady type. (who knows what he meant).

So, put the Kings in with Schwarz at 11 for my book. I will change it soon.

******************* I did update a bunch of the picks though.************

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
ducksflytogether said:
I think the Rags would pick Schremp, and the Duckies would pick either Thelen, Green, or O'Neill. But, the rankings are dead on at the start. Good showing in your first attempt.

Do you think I should change the ducks pick to Thelen? I have had a couple of suggestions toward the Rangers and might move a couple of picks around.

Cheers for the support. I fancy the ducks will add a few more players to their impressive system.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't see Ottawa picking up a goalie with Ray Emery on the horizon.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
go kim johnsson said:
I don't see Ottawa picking up a goalie with Ray Emery on the horizon.

Good point. I missed that as well as on my written list (on paper) I have the Nucks taking Marek two picks ahead of them.

I will make the changes again. CHeers.

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
Pheonix

Solid effort I just have one thing that I think needs to be said. If Robbie Schremp is avaliable at 5th overall when the Coyotes pick I doubt that Wayne Gretzky and Mike Barnett will pass on him. I think when Wayne realizes the kid has a ton of talent and has a huge upside. I just don't personally see Wayne passing on a kid with this much natural ability.

thestonedkoala

With Burns maybe permanetly moved back to defense (see: Lemaire, quotes), the Wild will need a big body to move people up front with some scoring touch. Valabik isn't bad for the Wild but with Mitchell, Kuba, Zyuzin, Schultz, Henry, Burns, Michalek, Reitz, and Heid 28 or under, they aren't going to be looking to move in a good defenseman and will end up trading for one rather than drafting.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Bluenote13 said:
First off, nice 1st Mock of the season - I like most of the picks Sindel to the Preds.

Fewer and fewer scouts have Sindel that high now- he's one of the big droppers of the 2004 darft class. He simply hasn't improved on his weakness- physical play. He is probably the "shyest" and weakest of all the players in the top end of this draft. It doesn't look good for his potential at higher levels, although no one denies his slick hands.

The World U18s should provide a barometer.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
punchy1 said:
Here you go mates. I wanted to make a mock based on the standings the way I see them finishing. Speculation and if you post your changes, I will make them and then will join the draft day bet who does best thingy.

Be gentle, it is my first time...... (;

1. Washington Capitals - Alexander Ovechkin
2. Pits Penguins - Yevgeny Malkin
3. Columbus Blue Jackets - Cam Barker
4. Poenix Coyotes - Radislav Olesz
5. Chicago BlackHawks - Wojtech Wolski
6. New York Rangers - A.J. Thelen
7. Anahiem Mighty Ducks - Rob Schremp
8. Florida Panthers - Lauri Tokenen
9. Carolina Cyclones(; - Mike Green
10. Atlanta Thrashers - Andrew Ladd
11. Los Angeles Kings - Alvaro Montoya
12. Minnesota Wild - Boris Valabik
13. Buffalo Sabres - Dave Bolland (cheers)
14. New York Islanders - Wes Oniel
15. Edmonton Oilers - Jakub Sindel
16. Nashville Predators - Alexander Picard
17. St. Louis Blues - Drew Stafford
18. Montreal Canadiens- Kyle Chipchura
19. Calgary Flames - Marek Shwarz
20. Dallas Stars - Johan Fransson
21. Vancouver Canucks - Enver Lisin
22. New Jersey Devils - Oscar Hedman
23. Ottawa Senators - Kirill Lymin
24. New York Rangers (TOR) - Brian Bickell
25. San Jose Sharks - Adam Berti
26. Washington Capitals (BOS) - Carl Söderberg
27. Colorado Avalanche - Evan McGrath
28. Edmonton Oilers (PHI) - Alexander Radulov
29. Tampa Bay Lightning - Ladsilav Smid
30. Washington Capitals (DET) - Lukas Kaspar

There you go mates. What do you think? I have read everyone elses mocks as well as several of the ranking rags and here is my best guess. I know I have a couple of teams out of order but, I fancy them to finish right close to this position in the end.

* Updated* I saw the unlikely scenario of Malek Schwarz falling to the Sens due to two reasons. (though both unlikely) The first is need. I know it don't work that way but, the teams after Los Angeles that might draft a goalie, all have solid goalie prospects or at least two viable options already. The Sens have the greatest need for him and I fancy they might move up to get him if he isn't there when they pick.
The second is the talent pool. He is a great young goalie prospect but, not such a talent that he clearly stands out above the skaters available in the first round above or below him.

After the first 13, I think the rest would be late first (at best) to mid second (likely) during an average draft year based on what I have read about them. I don't reckon most of the back 17 first rounders to be as good as last years second rounders but, I am basing that opinion on the nonsense that I have read in the papers so take it with a grain.

I wanted to gamble with a couple of picks and that is one of them.

I also moved Chipchura to the Habs. I know that he would be EXACTLY the kind of player that I would want for the team if I were Gainey but, don't know if he will be there when they pick and also, am not any bloody good at this stuff anyways so there you are.

I left out a couple of teams and many scenarios that I fancy will move up in my mock but here you go.

I reckon the Kings will finish 10th. I know they will either take the best goalie (I fancy Montoya as he is an NCAA type and Taylor loves them) and if not, they will take the best Center they can find. They WILL NOT (opinion) take another defenceman as they have well too many of them right now and are very full on both wings. Of course, who can't use more of any spot but, they have a couple of needs to address and Goalie/Center are them.

Thats all I will go on for now as I believe you lot will set me true on allot of these.

Cheers again.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
All the updates made to the first page now. Cheers mates for your suggies and giving me a handle on things. I will add this version (hopefully the teams are right ordered) to the "who gets picked" best here.

Cheers.

Munchausen

punchy1 said:

You're right about that. Don't know if Chipchura is a Savard type of player (who likes highly skilled finesse players) but he definitely is a Gainey one, and with the lack of grit, character and size (especially down the middle) they would not hesitate to take him IMO if he was still available at #18. But I honestly see him going before the 15th pick. Let's hope for the Habs I'm wrong, as it couldn't get any better for them need wise. Either him or Ladd, who should also be long gone.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
I have made my FINAL adjustements to my picks (unless a bloke pulls out of the draft, then i feel we should be allowed to make the according changes)

Just wanted to keep it current and see if anyone had any thoughts.

I am now in a draft pool that will give the winner(s) $400! Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad