Punch Up in Piestany - 20 years later!

Guy Flaming

Hard to believe it's been that long since the huge brawl between Canada and the Soviets at the 1987 World Junior Championship, at least for me it is.

For those of you who haven't seen it or need a refresher course: WJC Brawl

All this month The Pipeline Show is focusing on the World Junior Championships and we started off with a look back at this memorable event. On Tuesday night we spoke with Chris Joseph who was on the ice when all hell broke loose (He's #5 in white in the video... and that's V. Zelepukin he's pummeling, which gets brought up in the interview).

We also talked with CHL expert Peter Loubardias about what kind of team Canada will be sending to Sweden this year. He just called all 6 of the ADT Canada/Russia Challenge series so there's no one better to get the latest from.

I'd really like to hear from some of your Russians out there that remember that tournament.. what was the reaction back in your country?

You can send your feedback to [email protected] or [email protected]

This week's Poll question awaits your vote.

Cheers,

Guy
HF/The Pipeline Show

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
One thing I remember about this was Cherry's opinion on this matter. His interview with the sports writer,(can't remember his name) really increased his popularity in Canada.

I still would love to know if the Russians did it on purpose to cost Canada the medal. IMO I think they did but there's no way to find out.

One of the most memorable moments with the Canada/Russia rivarly.

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON
One thing I remember about this was Cherry's opinion on this matter. His interview with the sports writer,(can't remember his name) really increased his popularity in Canada.

I still would love to know if the Russians did it on purpose to cost Canada the medal. IMO I think they did but there's no way to find out.

One of the most memorable moments with the Canada/Russia rivarly.

I know, as you do, that the odds of ever finding out are ridiculously small.
I agree with you also on the idea that the Russians had done it on purpose. The Russians were going to be out of the medals and Canada had a real shot at another gold. The competition was still very fierce between the two countries/teams and, I'm confident that the Russian hockey brass must have told their kids to go out there and do what they could to provoke the Canadians.

On the other side of it, the Canadians did lose their cool and did let themselves get sucked in by this Russian tactic... sad... So the Canadians had their part of responsibility in this fiasco.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
On the other side of it, the Canadians did lose their cool and did let themselves get sucked in by this Russian tactic... sad... So the Canadians had their part of responsibility in this fiasco.

The first Canadian to get suckered into fighting.....Theo Fleury.

Does anybody have the rosters for the two teams from this game? I'd be interested to see them.

And Cherry's interview was with Michael Farber. Luckily, video of it still exists here: http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-41-1459-9679/sports/don_cherry/clip2

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON
Possible players on the Pietstany WJC Russian team

The first Canadian to get suckered into fighting.....Theo Fleury.

Does anybody have the rosters for the two teams from this game? I'd be interested to see them.

And Cherry's interview was with Michael Farber. Luckily, video of it still exists here: http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-41-1459-9679/sports/don_cherry/clip2

You beat me to the question... I'm curious if any of the Russian players ever made it to the NHL. One way to get an indication might be to check out the 1988 & 1989 entry drafts to see if any Russians were drafted (1990 & 1991 could be possible - drafting a Russian overager).

- Dmitri Khristich R - Kiev Sokol (Washington) (BIG STEAL) *
- Valeri Kamensky L - CSKA Moscow ((Quebec) (BIG STEAL) *
- Sergei Svetlov R - Moscow Dynamo (New Jersey)
- Harijs Vitolinsh C - Dynamo Riga (Montreal) *
- Pavel Kostitshkin R - CSKA Moscow (Winnipeg)
- Alexander Semak C - Moscow Dynamo (New Jersey) STEAL) *
- Vladimir Zubkov D - CSKA Moscow (Edmonton)
- Yuri Krivokhija D - Dynamo Minsk (Montreal)
- Alexei Gusarov D - CSKA Moscow (Quebec) (STEAL) *
- Sergei Pryakhin R - Krylja Sovetov (Calgary) *

- Sergei Fedorov C - CSKA Moscow (Detroit) (HUGE STEAL) *
- Pavel Bure R - CSKA Moscow (Vancouver) (HUGE STEAL) *
- Anatoli Semenov C - Moscow Dynamo (Edmonton) *
- Sergei Mylnikov G - Chelyabinsk Traktor (Quebec) *
- Sergei Yashin L - Dynamo Riga (Edmonton)
- Sergei Starikov D - CSKA Moscow (New Jersey) *
- Vyacheslav Bykov C - CSKA Moscow (Quebec)
- Sergei Gomolyako R - Traktor Chelyabinsk (Calgary)
- Andrei Khomutov R - CSKA Moscow (Quebec)
- Vladimir Malakhov D - CSKA Moscow (Islanders) (BIG STEAL!) *
- Arturs Irbe G - Dynamo Riga (Minnesota) (BIG STEAL!) *
- Roman Oksiuta R - Voskresensk Khimik (Rangers) *
- Vladimir Konstantinov D - CSKA Moscow (Detroit) (BIG STEAL!)
- Alexander Yudin D - Moscow Dynamo (Calgary)
- Evgeny Davydov L - CSKA Moscow (Winnipeg) *
- Helmut Balderis R - Dynamo Riga (Minnesota) *

* = played in the NHL

Now, I know that this doesn't prove that these guys were part of the 1987 roster at Pietstany but, since the Russians would want to ice their best squad possible, it's likely that some of these guys played for that 'infamous' Russian team.

That's the best that I can do so far.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Here's the roster and stats from the '87 USSR Jr. team:

D Vladimir Konstantinov 6gp 1-4=5 pts 8pm
D Dmitriy Tsygurov 6gp 1-2=3 pts 2pm
D Andrey Smirnov 6gp 1-2=3 pts 8pm
D Igor Monayenkov 6gp 1-0=1 pts 8pm
D Vladimir Malakhov 6gp 0-0=0 pts 4pm
D Vadim Musatov 6gp 0-0=0 pts 10pm
F Aleksandr Kerch 6gp 6-2=8 pts 20pm
F Pavel Kostichkin 6gp 4-1=5 pts 10pm
F Aleksandr Mogilny 6gp 3-2=5 pts 4pm
F Sergey Shesterikov 6gp 2-2=4 pts 0pm
F Yevgeny Davydov 6gp 3-0=3 pts 4pm
F Valeri Zelepukin 6gp 2-1=3 pts 4pm
F Valeri Popov 6gp 0-3=3 pts 4pm
F Sergey Osipov 6gp 0-3=3 pts 0pm
F Anton Zagorodniy 6gp 1-1=2 pts 6pm
F Aleksandr Galchenyuk 6gp 1-1=2 pts 8pm
F Dmitriy Medvedev 6gp 1-0=1 pts 2pm
F Sergey Fedorov 6gp 0-0=0 pts 8pm
G Valeri Ivannikov 6gp 20 GA
G Vadim Privalov 1gp 0 GA

Coaches: Vladimir Vasilyev,
Valentina Gureyev

Note: statistics do not take into account match with Canada.

USSR-POLAND - 7:3 (3:2, 3:0, 1:1) Kostichkin-2, Galchenyuk, Davydov, Mogilny, Zelepukin, Kerch

USSR-SWITZERLAND - 8:0 (2:0, 4:0, 2:0) Kerch-2, Shesterikov-2, Kostichkin, Medvedev, Davydov, Zagorodniy

USSR-FINLAND - 4:5 (2:3, 0:1, 2:1) Kerch, Mogilny, Tsygurov, Zelepukin

USSR-CZECHOSLOVAKIA - 3:5 (0:2, 1:2, 2:1) Mogilny, Konstantinov, Smirnov

USSR-SWEDEN - 3:3 (1:2, 0:0, 2:1) Kerch, Kostichkin, Davydov

USSR-USA - 2:4 (1:1, 1:1, 0:2) Kerch, Monayenkov

The final match of USSR-CAN was interrupted, when time clock showed 33 minutes and 53 seconds of playing time,with score 4:2 in favour of Canadians, because of fighting on ice in which participated players of both commands.

On the solution of IIHF, the commands of USSR and CAN were both disqualified and remained without places in the total qualification. At the same time, the results of other matches with their participation are left valid.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
Thanks for the help, guys. That's interesting stuff.

Looking over some of the leading scorers, the 1989 tournament has to be one of the best in terms of producing NHL players. Roenick and Modano were leading scorers in the tournament for the US, while the Russians had Fedorov, Bure, and Mogilny.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
There wasn't much the Canadians could do. The Russians emptied their bench at the time and what are you going to do if you;ve got 20 Russians beating up 5 Canadians? Well you ahve to do the same. It was the late Bert Templeton that was coaching Canada that year. It was a sneaky thing for the Russians to do. Finland by default won gold that year. Its funny cause the only other time Finland ever won gold was in '98 in that overtime victory against the Russians that looked a bit like goaltender interference

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks for the help, guys. That's interesting stuff.

Looking over some of the leading scorers, the 1989 tournament has to be one of the best in terms of producing NHL players. Roenick and Modano were leading scorers in the tournament for the US, while the Russians had Fedorov, Bure, and Mogilny.

'87 was the first year I followed the WJC's with interest. However, I recall '89 in Alaska being on late (and live) -- Bure with the electric green laces and that line -- "The New Green Unit" with him, Feds and Mogilny was just amazing.

Edit: I also recall Harold Ballard having "gold medals" minted for the returning '87 Canadian players -- I don't recall the circumstances of any presentation however.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
There wasn't much the Canadians could do. The Russians emptied their bench at the time and what are you going to do if you;ve got 20 Russians beating up 5 Canadians? Well you ahve to do the same. It was the late Bert Templeton that was coaching Canada that year. It was a sneaky thing for the Russians to do. Finland by default won gold that year. Its funny cause the only other time Finland ever won gold was in '98 in that overtime victory against the Russians that looked a bit like goaltender interference

What was ironic about the "should they/shouldn't they" debate was that even if Canada DID NOT empty their bench, Finland still would've won gold.
Canada had to win by 4 to secure gold....they were up by 2 at the time. The Soviets, by emptying thier bench, would've automatically disqualified themselves - nullifying the Canadians any opportunity to score 2 more.
Actually, in that scenario, everyone's game against the Soviets would have been discounted - still giving Finland the gold based on goal differential.

I agree with Cherry on this though - there wasn't much Canada could do but fight back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->