Player Discussion: Pulock

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Holtby shakes his mask off because the puck is behind his net and his guys are outnumbered there. It should be delay of game-he has done it against us before.

His helmet became unstrapped by Pulock's shot. Its impossible for him to see and it could easily shift and he take a puck off the skull. You cant call that a penalty.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Holtby shakes his mask off because the puck is behind his net and his guys are outnumbered there. It should be delay of game-he has done it against us before.

The issue is that the league encourages goaltenders to do that if they think their helmet is broken or not safe in some way, that includes straps coming undone. It happens so quick there's no way for the referee to tell if it's to delay the game or if there's actually an issue.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Pulock looked way more comfortable tonight. I think he's getting through his preseason struggles and he may just come around defensively. I liked the looked bit of a fake charge he gave on the 3-1 trying to do anything to break that up. It was a pretty headsy play on an impossible situation. They didn't score, can't really say it was because of him but he showed more poise and confidence than he has in the past.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Good game tonight for Ryan. Stepped up offensively tonight a few times to bad his bombs were right at Talbot. He's playing with more confidence as you see him taking more chances on offense.

Reactions: The G Man

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Pulock had a handful of very solid defensive plays which was great to see! However... he still struggles mightily getting the puck out of the zone cleanly and making the right reads. His defensive positioning away from the puck is still frightening too. I'm far from sold on his overall game.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Pulock had a handful of very solid defensive plays which was great to see! However... he still struggles mightily getting the puck out of the zone cleanly and making the right reads. His defensive positioning away from the puck is still frightening too. I'm far from sold on his overall game.

Sounds like something he'll grow out of. Potvin (I think) used to say it takes a defenseman 300 games to feel comfortable in the NHL. We're only in the beginning stages of Pulock's career and I think he's done a lot more good than bad.

Reactions: dood

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I wouldn't worry so much...he doesn't exactly have a lot of games under his belt...He's young..we expect him to make mistakes and or work on his weaknesses. So far, from what I see, he is coming along fine.

Reactions: dood

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
This is such a gross exaggeration I should not have even spent the time replying to it.

He is a poor skater with a good shot. If he wants to be more than a bottom pair type of guy he needs to learn to skate. Not sure what is controversial about saying that.

If he was a 4th round draft pick he would be getting ripped

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Well he's having a crap game today. Stupid decisions and yes - His skating is not helping him.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I'd still prefer him in the lineup. It's not exactly like he's displacing Denis Potvin. He needs to learn at the NHL level, both offensively and defensively.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
He hasn't had a point in 9 games (since NSH). That's what he was brought up to do, and he isn't doing it. Only exacerbates his defensive shortcomings.

It’s difficult to do that with very little PP time and playing with Hickey who refuses to pass it to him in the offensive zone. He was terrible last night, but one bad game is just that. I’d like to see him with a different D partner (not Seidenberg). Hickey makes everyone around him worse.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Playing with Hickey is the problem, a very bad pairing choice for him, would rather him with Pelech and Seidenberg with CDH since that worked last year. If Seidenberg is washed up then we need to find a way to get Hjarmalsson from Arizona to play with CDH

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
He hasn't had a point in 9 games (since NSH). That's what he was brought up to do, and he isn't doing it. Only exacerbates his defensive shortcomings.
^ This. Has the big shot but NHL goalies stop it if there is no screen or he hits the crest.
Basically ineffective so far as a scorer. That little weasel Gostisbehere is more effective than Pulock with his shot. He hasn't had a lot of chances but he needs to be able to overpower the goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->