Puck hitting goaltender's mask

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by kmad, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmad

kmad riot survivor

What's the point of the rule where play is stopped if the puck hits the goaltender's mask?

Does it usually daze the goaltender, and the play stoppage allows them to recollect?

I can't think of anything else. It seems like another stupid rule that slows down momentum.

2. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

Shots to the head (hits, or litterally shots to the head with the puck) are a big no-no in international hockey. Just like when a players helmet falls off, he has to leave the ice right away (I think...)

3. Jazz

Jazz Registered User

Home Page:
    This happened in another game (involving Canada I think) earlier in the tournament.

I wonder how old this rule is? That shot from Kopat hit Tommy Salo in the head before dribbling in the net during the 2002 Olympics...

4. canucksfan

canucksfan Registered User

Home Page:
    IMO its a dumb rule. It can take away a quality scoring chance.

5. 12# Peter Bondra

12# Peter Bondra Registered User

I noticed that too. The SWE players protested that it hit Salo (and it did) in the head but the ref allowed the goal. This rule is SURELY older than the Olympics in 2002.

6. stv11

stv11 Global Moderator

It's older than 2002. That goal standed because the puck deflected directly into the net after hitting the goalie's mask.

It was changed last year to let the referee decide if the play shall be stopped.

7. The IIHF is all about player safety. A hard shot to the head can daze a goaltender quite easily. When I'm reffing a game and it happens, I always find myself asking the goaltender if he is alright. If I don't get a 'yes' answer relatively quickly, I will blow play dead. You cannot take any chances with potential head injuries.

As for the 2002 Olympics...Salo put his gloves up and blocked the puck from hitting his head, and in the process, deflected the puck into his own net.

8. rt

rt DingDongTippIsGone! Sponsor

I hate this rule.

9. In other words, you don't really care about player safety.

10. RCGP

RCGP Go Panthers

Engineer
    Home Page:
    puck hitting the mask

Well, the goalies are already wearing a protective mask, so it seems excessive.

11. Riddarn

Riddarn 1980-2011

In all fairness, Tommy Salo actually JUMPED before getting hit in the head with that puck. If he just had stayed put the puck would have passed over the goal and he could have retired as a swedish national hero (after all, he did the winning save on the canadian penalty shot that won us the Olympic gold).

12. Teus

Teus Registered User

Home Page:
    Don't forget the 2 shutouts vs Finland in the finals in 1998 World Championships. :)

13. Riddarn

Riddarn 1980-2011

World championships doesn't count since the fall of the USSR. Sad really, it's a fun tournament and all but winning a gold medal there isn't near as big as winning Olympic gold or the World Cup.

14. CH Wizard

CH Wizard Guest

Exactly.

It's for being safety.

I don't like this rule myself.It's for making sure that the goalie is alright and with still a mask.

I know it's killing the momentum.In the first period , in the Canada vs Sweden game , it was annoying me.Lindberg was facing a 2vs 1 but He received a puck on the mask.The play stopped and I'm sure if the would have continued.Canada would have scored.

Again , in the Belarus vs Usa game.The Belarus goalie (I forgot his name lol) received the puck on his mask on a 2vs 1.The puck fall on the post but the play automatically stopped.I'm sure Usa would have scored.That also killed their confidence and motivation.

So , I hate this rule.

15. Protective mask or not, when you get hit with a piece of solid frozen rubber going 80+mph, it's going to sting.

16. Aerolanche

Aerolanche Registered User

Being a goaltender myself, playing midget, it still hurts. A head shot is a head shot, the helmets keep you from dieing or getting a concussion, but thats about it. You still flinch.

17. Ego

Ego Registered User

student
    Home Page:
    If the puck stays in the crease, the play should not be stopped. So the goal that Salo allowed was OK.

18. RCGP

RCGP Go Panthers

Engineer
    Home Page:

Wouldnt it also sting for a regular skater to get drilled in the helmit? or even just normal shot blocking? Those don't warrant whistles though.

19. If a player is "stung", he can skate to his bench, and if he can't, then he does get a stoppage in play.

If a goaltender starts making his way to the bench because he is "stung" from a puck to the head, the likelihood is that the puck will be put into his net. A goaltender would never leave his crease in the middle of play like that, so it is only fair that he be given a precautionary stoppage in play to make sure he is ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.