Puck hitting goaltender's mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
What's the point of the rule where play is stopped if the puck hits the goaltender's mask?

Does it usually daze the goaltender, and the play stoppage allows them to recollect?

I can't think of anything else. It seems like another stupid rule that slows down momentum.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Shots to the head (hits, or litterally shots to the head with the puck) are a big no-no in international hockey. Just like when a players helmet falls off, he has to leave the ice right away (I think...)

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Gurj said:
This happened in another game (involving Canada I think) earlier in the tournament.

I wonder how old this rule is? That shot from Kopat hit Tommy Salo in the head before dribbling in the net during the 2002 Olympics...
I noticed that too. The SWE players protested that it hit Salo (and it did) in the head but the ref allowed the goal. This rule is SURELY older than the Olympics in 2002.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It's older than 2002. That goal standed because the puck deflected directly into the net after hitting the goalie's mask.

It was changed last year to let the referee decide if the play shall be stopped.

BCCHL inactive

The IIHF is all about player safety. A hard shot to the head can daze a goaltender quite easily. When I'm reffing a game and it happens, I always find myself asking the goaltender if he is alright. If I don't get a 'yes' answer relatively quickly, I will blow play dead. You cannot take any chances with potential head injuries.

As for the 2002 Olympics...Salo put his gloves up and blocked the puck from hitting his head, and in the process, deflected the puck into his own net.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Gurj said:
I wonder how old this rule is? That shot from Kopat hit Tommy Salo in the head before dribbling in the net during the 2002 Olympics...

In all fairness, Tommy Salo actually JUMPED before getting hit in the head with that puck. If he just had stayed put the puck would have passed over the goal and he could have retired as a swedish national hero (after all, he did the winning save on the canadian penalty shot that won us the Olympic gold).

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
Riddarn said:
In all fairness, Tommy Salo actually JUMPED before getting hit in the head with that puck. If he just had stayed put the puck would have passed over the goal and he could have retired as a swedish national hero (after all, he did the winning save on the canadian penalty shot that won us the Olympic gold).
Don't forget the 2 shutouts vs Finland in the finals in 1998 World Championships. :)

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Teus said:
Don't forget the 2 shutouts vs Finland in the finals in 1998 World Championships. :)

World championships doesn't count since the fall of the USSR. Sad really, it's a fun tournament and all but winning a gold medal there isn't near as big as winning Olympic gold or the World Cup.

CH Wizard

Van said:
The IIHF is all about player safety.

Exactly.

It's for being safety.

I don't like this rule myself.It's for making sure that the goalie is alright and with still a mask.

I know it's killing the momentum.In the first period , in the Canada vs Sweden game , it was annoying me.Lindberg was facing a 2vs 1 but He received a puck on the mask.The play stopped and I'm sure if the would have continued.Canada would have scored.

Again , in the Belarus vs Usa game.The Belarus goalie (I forgot his name lol) received the puck on his mask on a 2vs 1.The puck fall on the post but the play automatically stopped.I'm sure Usa would have scored.That also killed their confidence and motivation.

So , I hate this rule.

BCCHL inactive

RCGP said:
Well, the goalies are already wearing a protective mask, so it seems excessive.

Protective mask or not, when you get hit with a piece of solid frozen rubber going 80+mph, it's going to sting.

badtakemachine

Dec 20, 2002
Being a goaltender myself, playing midget, it still hurts. A head shot is a head shot, the helmets keep you from dieing or getting a concussion, but thats about it. You still flinch.

RCGP

Go Panthers
Jul 3, 2002
Calgary Alberta
Visit site
Van said:
Protective mask or not, when you get hit with a piece of solid frozen rubber going 80+mph, it's going to sting.

Wouldnt it also sting for a regular skater to get drilled in the helmit? or even just normal shot blocking? Those don't warrant whistles though.

BCCHL inactive

RCGP said:
Wouldnt it also sting for a regular skater to get drilled in the helmit? or even just normal shot blocking? Those don't warrant whistles though.

If a player is "stung", he can skate to his bench, and if he can't, then he does get a stoppage in play.

If a goaltender starts making his way to the bench because he is "stung" from a puck to the head, the likelihood is that the puck will be put into his net. A goaltender would never leave his crease in the middle of play like that, so it is only fair that he be given a precautionary stoppage in play to make sure he is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad