Prucha or Steen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yureeka47*

Petr Prucha! I see huge potential for him in the future, a top 2 line winger for sure.. I can see him putting up Havlat numbers one day

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Truth of it is I havn't seen Prucha play much either. But if he's the stereotypical strong offensive kid with little to no defencive qualities, then it's an easy decision to go with Steen.

I'd really need to see Prucha alot more (IE, play 35 games) to see whether or not he's better than Steen. As of now, strictly on description, I'd take Steen.

Firefly

Mar 9, 2004
Mohawk Valley
GregStack said:
But if he's the stereotypical strong offensive kid with little to no defencive qualities

He's great offensively, that's true. But he's no slouch on defense. He's had his rookie gaffes here and there but it's not like hes out at the red line cherry picking all game.

Skroob*

Legionnaire said:
You know that works both ways, right? Put Ovechkin on the PP, and against weaker matchups, and see how he does.

The Rangers dont match lines, so hes out there against all kinds of opponents

Skroob*

Firefly said:
He's great offensively, that's true. But he's no slouch on defense. He's had his rookie gaffes here and there but it's not like hes out at the red line cherry picking all game.

not to mention he also enjoys throwing the body around, and someone trying to hit him is of no use since he has the ability to just bounce off of people and get right into the play.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Skroob said:
not to mention he also enjoys throwing the body around, and someone trying to hit him is of no use since he has the ability to just bounce off of people and get right into the play.

yeah that's the great thing about him...he can take a hit, and make a hit, even though he's only like 175 lbs. and, not saying he can win every battle along the boards, but he's so relentless he can often come away with the puck, or if he loses it, he can go get it right back

i'd like to see him get some more assists, but basically he's kind of become the triggerman for his line and the PP a lot of times, so he doesn't get the chance to assist a lot. i don't really think it's a deficiency as much as it is just his role at the time. and i'm fine with him being on pace for 30+ goals in his rookie year...

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Firefly said:

Like I said, I've not seen him, and really don't know enough about him. But I do know that for me to think he's better than Steen would be one hell of a compliment to Prucha.

Thanks for letting me know he's not a liability though, I like hearing everything possible about rookies that I don't know much about.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Prucha certainly has a nose for the net and a goal scorer's touch, but actually I've been more impressed with Steen's all-around game so far. This kid looks like a 10-year NHL veteran on the ice, it certainly doesn't seem like this is his first season in the league - a bit like Chris Higgins in Mtl. In the long-term, I'd take Steen too.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Levitate said:
wait, what?

what is the point you're trying to make? ovechkin doesn't play on the PP? that if he played against weak matchups, but with less icetime, that his goals per minutes ratio would be better than prucha's?

either way, it doesn't make sense

I think the point he's trying to make is that while Steen benefits from playing with 1st line players, he also has to play against top-line defensemen. Prucha has worse linemates, but also gets matched against worse players than he would if he played on a line with Jagr or Sundin.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I got out of it

Davisian

Feb 27, 2002
Broomfield, CO
Visit site
Count this Ranger fan as taking Steen.

I love the Prucha, I'm glad he's all ours, but Steen is the more impressive hockey player to me..

But its almost like "Ron Francis or Mark Recchi??"

No problem with the consolation prize in that contest.

Davisian

Feb 27, 2002
Broomfield, CO
Visit site
Davisian said:
Count this Ranger fan as taking Steen.

I love the Prucha, I'm glad he's all ours, but Steen is the more impressive hockey player to me..

But its almost like "Ron Francis or Mark Recchi??"

No problem with the consolation prize in that contest.

I'm quite the moron..

This whole time I'm thinking this was Prucha vs. Staal..

And I even wrote Steen..

Haven't seen enough of Steen to really vote objectively..

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
Prucha now and always. He just seems to me to be a more talented player. If he is weaker on defance I don't really see that as a big problem. Pretty much all young players start out weak on defance, but it seems to be easier to learn than offensive skills.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Again not having seen Steen enough to feel qualified to comment on him but Prucha has not had a single bad or indifferent game that I can recall. He comes to play every game and he doesn't slow down if another even much bigger player has him lined up on his radar. He's full speed ahead into the corners and he doesn't give up on a play. When he doesn't have the puck he's heading for the net and he's scored several Adam Graves type of goal from 3 to 5 feet away. It's amazing for someone as scrawny as he is. Excellent skater and puck handler and a great shot. There's not much not to like apart from his size and he can't do much about that.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Prucha is definately a very skilled player. However, this season, ive pretty much fallen in love with steen. So happy he's a leaf.

I'll go with steen, but only because i get to see every game he plays, ive only seen prucha in the one game the rangers came to town.

The Jerk*

Prucha is about 17 months older than Steen, in two years Steen will be a much different player then he is now, I take Steen...

Kasparov*

Leaf fans will say Steen

Non-leaf fans will say Prucha

The real answer: Prucha

Have a nice day folks.

EDIT: I have just been informed that Swedes will also say Steen, and use the "he is younger" tactic in order to boast their guy even though he is clearly not as offensively talented as the player he is being matched up with. :propeller

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->