Provision in new US tax law could force teams to pay capital gains taxes on trades

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky

The law changed a corner of the tax code that mostly applies to farmers, manufacturers and other businesses that until recently could swap certain assets like trucks and machinery tax-free. But by adding a single word to the newly written tax code — “real” — the law now only allows real estate swaps to qualify for that special treatment.

That change is meant to capture more federal revenue, in order to partially offset reductions in business and personal income tax rates. It forces manufacturers, farmers and others to pay more in capital gains taxes, if they trade an asset for something more valuable. The Joint Committee on Taxation estimates the change will raise $31 billion over the next decade.

It also means that the Astros and other sports franchises could now face capital gains taxes every time they exchange or trade their highly paid players.

The confusion is only one of many side effects of the new tax law, which sped through the House and Senate in less than two months at the end of last year, resulting in a series of changes that were both intentional and inadvertent. Republicans say they weren’t trying to hamstring sports teams: The change in the like-kind provision, Senate staff members said, was simply an attempt to broaden the United States tax base.

I.R.S. officials declined to comment on whether the agency would issue future rulings on the tax treatment of sports trades. Treasury officials did not respond to a request for comment on Friday.

For decades, teams have not paid taxes on such trades, and thus have not had to account for the value of the assets they are exchanging, for tax purposes. A 1967 ruling from the Internal Revenue Service allowed baseball owners to depreciate the cost of player contracts over several years, thus reducing the team’s taxable income. It declared that “trades of player contracts owned by major league baseball clubs will be considered exchanges of like-kind property” under a section of the tax code.

That distinction was crucial. Until this year, the “like-kind” provision allowed owners of similar types of property, such as machinery or fleet vehicles, to swap their assets without paying taxes on either party’s gains until the asset was sold. In a baseball or basketball trade, the assets aren’t players, they are the players’ contracts — and the I.R.S. was allowing them to be exchanged without fear of taxation.

The new law breaks that peace, by limiting like-kind exchanges to “real property,” which is shorthand for land or other real estate.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Good read. I'm sure it will get fixed eventually but it shows how just making a tiny change(one word in this case) can have unplanned effects across multiple industries. If it weren't changed I have no idea how a sports team would be able to attach a specific value to a player in a trade since it's essentially unquantifiable.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
This smells like it could lead to a boatload of lawsuits of all sorts. Teams will dispute the ''assessed value'' thus the ''taxes paid'' on said value. And obviously do you base the value of a player on number of goals scored ? On +/- ? On time played ? What do you use as a benchmark...all forwards combined divided by number of occurrences ?

Is McDavid really worth about 8 million less than Crosby this year but will be worth about 2.5 millions more next year ?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The messed up part is that tax-wise depreciating a contract at least makes some sense--you've contracted the asset for a fixed period of time, and that value depreciates as the contract runs.

Value of a player usually has a relationship to the contracted salary, but it's not a direct linear relationship. I think it's better to illustrate with the top 10 paid NBA players this season:

1. Stephen Curry: $34.7m
2. LeBron James: $33.3m
3. Paul Millsap: $31.3
4. Gordon Hayward: $29.7m
5. Blake Griffin: $29.5
6. Kyle Lowry: $28.7m
7. Russell Westbrook: $28.5m
8. Mike Conley: $28.5m
9. James Harden: $28.3m
10. DeMar DeRozan: $27.7m

Most pundits would say this list includes only 4 of the top 10 players in the NBA (Curry, James, Westbrook, Harden). Part of the reason the NBA is goofy like this is because teams are forced to spend the money--if they can't spend it on a top notch player then the money instead gets spent on a 2nd tier player.

Last edited:

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
I really want to feel bad for these billionaires paying a couple of bucks more in taxes from their left pocket... But it's kind of hard when they just stuffed their right pockets with taxes cuts. Start by paying for your own stadium, and your own training stadium. Once you do we can talk about the "unfair" taxes system.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Do teams record player contracts as an asset for accounting purposes? Then shouldn't draft picks also be considered an asset? I've read a couple articles on this but something just doesn't seem right, because if teams don't have player contracts as an asset in their accounting records, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Do teams record player contracts as an asset for accounting purposes? Then shouldn't draft picks also be considered an asset? I've read a couple articles on this but something just doesn't seem right, because if teams don't have player contracts as an asset in their accounting records, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

Would seem the case to me, because otherwise, if they treat the player's salary as expense, it would not be an asset.

How do they depreciate a player's contract? This sounds like a GE type accounting maneuver to avoid taxes.

I'd revolt if I found out back then, my old boss, Carly Fiorina, was considered an asset to the company back then.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Trade a UFA and a pick to a Canadian team for a lesser pick on June 30. Repeat as necessary to offset the capital gains you "made" at the trade deadline.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Will the Calgary Flames trade for a first-round pick? - Sportsnet.ca

Update from Friedman
... the change was directed at “farmers, manufacturers and other businesses that until recently could swap certain assets like trucks and machinery tax-free.” I checked with the NHL, and it confirmed that it discussed the subject at recent team finance meetings, but added it is premature to guess the true impact. What is clear, though, is the sports leagues will lobby to get an exemption.

The wheels of government run slowly.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
[/QUOTE]Update from Friedman
... the change was directed at “farmers, manufacturers and other businesses that until recently could swap certain assets like trucks and machinery tax-free.” I checked with the NHL, and it confirmed that it discussed the subject at recent team finance meetings, but added it is premature to guess the true impact. What is clear, though, is the sports leagues will lobby to get an exemption.
[/QUOTE]

The problem, or the glaring difference between a farmer's assets (and mine) is that we pay the full amount up front for the life of the asset. NHL clubs issue paychecks.

My expectation is that this will have zero effect on trades.

Here's a better source of information than what was posted above that I quoted:

Examination of Sports Franchise Acquisitions | Internal Revenue Service

So what they are saying, and it's been decades since I practiced accounting, is that player contracts are intangible assets of the club's overall worth. So let's say we purchased a club for $500 million, and have $700 million in total player contracts for the next 10 years. Using a straight line depreciation, we amortize that over 10 years to the tune of $70M each year. We write down a loss of $70M in our tax returns every year.

But let's say we sell the club 10 years down the road for $1 billion. The asset did not depreciate as we "predicted", but appreciated instead. So instead of the loss at the end of the 10 year period of $200m, we have a gain at $1.2 billion.

Paying the capitol gains would suck in this case. So enter 1031 exchanges. When we sale the club, we'll move the gains from the sale from that business to another business to avoid taxes. Hopefully, we're smart enough to pick a new business to where we can nullify that amortized loss over time, easily and legally.

Let me give you guys another example that shows more abuse. Let's say you started a company called Macrosoft. It took off and the stock has been climbing for several decades. Your investment adviser has been saying you need to diversify your stock portfolio as there is too much Macrosoft stock.

Enter me. I started another successfully company called Horizon Talk and my investment advisor is saying the same thing. So we decide to trade stock, but we don't want to pay capital gain taxes on it.

So we go into a joint ventureship and form a new company. We each transfer an amount of our Macrosoft and Horizon Talk shares into the company as startup funding. We do this through the 1031 exchange code of the IRS. Later, we get tired of our play toy, we transfer that stock back out to ourselves. But instead of getting my Horizon Talk shares back (and you, the Macrosoft shares back), I get Macrosoft shares in equal value. You, Horizon Talk.

There, we just diversified our portfolio and avoided the taxes on an outright sale and purchasing of stock to diversify. Plus, any value in the joint ventureship that remains is icing on the cake. Nice!

If we don't like something in the rules, we get our congress people to support changing to our liking. We do this because the taxes otherwise would be more costly than contributing to campaigns.

It certainly is nice to be insanely wealthy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->