Providence Bruins General Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Is it safe to say that Zboril is the nastiest (in terms of play style) defenseman the Bruins have in the system?

Given what I know about the B’s D prospects, that appears to be a safe bet right now, although Lauzon appears to be capable of a physical game. Zboril isn’t overly big, but he seems to hold a grudge and play with a natural edge. Given his size, I would love to see Sherman play with a mean streak, but I don’t know if he has it in him?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Given what I know about the B’s D prospects, that appears to be a safe bet right now, although Lauzon appears to be capable of a physical game. Zboril isn’t overly big, but he seems to hold a grudge and play with a natural edge. Given his size, I would love to see Sherman play with a mean streak, but I don’t know if he has it in him?

I wonder if they get Sherman signed. With Sweeney's track record of signing the Bruins college guys, I could see it, but at the same time, I could definitely see him seeking another route. That said, I could have saw Hughes doing the same thing...And Fitzgerald last year so.....

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I got to see a few Sea Dog games as well as the WJC’s and came away feeling like both the SJ and TC coaches catered to Chabot. I saw him play very little D in those games.

I have seen Zboril a couple of times at Dev Camp and I’m not sure I have seen a smoother skater (ever). In addition, he’s got a mean streak that Chabot lacks.

I think he’s going to be a good one.

To your point, I’d rather have Duncan Keith than dougie Hamilton. Not saying either will reach that level, but in terms of how each can impact a game I’d say both comps are accurate

Reactions: Thrive

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
Maybe Sherman can learn that like Carlo done

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Maybe Sherman can learn that like Carlo done

I suppose it’s possible.

There are certain guys that can “learn” to be more physical because it’s a required part of the job. I have found (in my limited experience) that in most cases, kids/players are either physical...or they aren’t.

My youngest son (freshman) has 4% body fat, is 5’3”, and weighs less than 100 pounds (w/out gear). He is as “nasty” a young player as I have come across, and has been that way since he was 5. He battles in front, sticks up for teammates, and always “takes numbers”. He’s also one of the smallest kids on his team. I wish I could bottle his on-ice attitude and feed it to some of his bigger teammates, but that’s not the way it works.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I suppose it’s possible.

There are certain guys that can “learn” to be more physical because it’s a required part of the job. I have found (in my limited experience) that in most cases, kids/players are either physical...or they aren’t.

My youngest son (freshman) has 4% body fat, is 5’3”, and weighs less than 100 pounds (w/out gear). He is as “nasty” a young player
as I have come across, and has been that way since he was 5. He battles in front, sticks up for teammates, and always “takes numbers”. He’s also one of the smallest kids on his team. I wish I could bottle his on-ice attitude and feed it to some of his bigger teammates, but that’s not the way it works.

Fun post to read, I was NEVER a player who was going to make his mark at the NHL level but I was one who, despite my size (maxed at 5`11/190lbs) was one of those players who got under the skin of opponents simply by being willing to stand in front of the net and take whatever beating came my way.

I wasn`t a player like your son who had a "nasty" side, but I remember heading into final cuts for Bantam AAA in Ottawa and I hit the ice to block a shot, broke my thumb. Thought for sure that`d be it, coach would cut me as I`d be out for 4-6 weeks but he told Dad it was that play that solidified my spot. When I returned, I was given the 'C' which shocked me as typically a letter given to players with all the natural talent where I was more of a complimentary guy and there was a half dozen players at least with far more talent. Can`t teach grit/heart, but like I said, my lack of skill eventually caught up and I had one of those "hockey parents" who took the fun out of the game.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

Beautiful all-around play from Senyshyn here. Frederic almost getting his first AHL goal on the play as well. Huge shout-out to @BruinsNetwork for these highlights.

This was the play I was referring to yesterday. Frederic did a lot of little things I loved yesterday, passing wise and setting himself and others up.

Kopp got banged around a bit yesterday but never looked deterred. Only one time he got cheap shotted and was slow to get back to the bench. Welcome to North America.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Poor Peter Cehlarik- hurt again. I wonder if he is going to be one of those players with all the potential and an injury prone body that never lets him succeed. The kid always seems to be getting hurt.

Reactions: LouisSleigher

BruinsNetwork

Yes, it certainly isn’t “good” that Senyshyn only has 2-goals in his last 30-games.

However, that needs context as well considering who he plays with and where. I’ve already explained that in detail about 3-times here, so I’ll leave that be.

The good news is that Senyshyn looked really good in the last 3-games he’s played in. Him and Hughes showed us some nice chemistry on Friday. They had some good opportunities including a one-timer from Senyshyn at the right-circle which rang the post. Would have liked to see him score on that, but it was also one of his best opportunities all season— which speaks to my points about him.

On Sunday, Senyshyn & Frederic were playing extremely well together. Frederic had a golden-opportunity to score in-close off Senyshyn’s feed but couldn’t convert.

I look forward to seeing Frederic & Senyshyn together more.

HackeyFanz

Dec 8, 2017
2 goals in his last 30 game for Senyshyn. Hopefully he's working other parts of his game.
Yes he is. Honestly we need to give him time and not judge him on a game to game basis.. it won't change anything. If this time next year the same thing is happening then by all means criticize but we need to let some players develop longer.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This was the play I was referring to yesterday. Frederic did a lot of little things I loved yesterday, passing wise and setting himself and others up.

Kopp got banged around a bit yesterday but never looked deterred. Only one time he got cheap shotted and was slow to get back to the bench. Welcome to North America.
Loved the angle Seny took on the puck carrier and the other stuff is something you can`t teach. I know he`s taking a beating here but I have some positive vibes about this kid, some take a touch longer to develop but I don`t think he`ll be a guy who`ll disappoint once he`s ready and Frederic driving to the net to give Seny the target to pass to......beauty

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
*** Since scoring three goals in three games in mid-December, Zach Senyshyn has two goals in his last 30 games.

Goal scoring threat. As well as Sweeney has done in the draft I'm almost willing to let this go but blown first round picks always haunt you.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
*** Since scoring three goals in three games in mid-December, Zach Senyshyn has two goals in his last 30 games.

Goal scoring threat. As well as Sweeney has done in the draft I'm almost willing to let this go but blown first round picks always haunt you.
It’s still his first pro season. Plus, wasn’t he always considered more of a “project” prospect than a lot of his peers? I can’t watch Prov games at all so I have little input as to where he stands, but writing young players off for struggling to put up numbers in their first pro season just seems over reactive to me.

If you want to discount him already, that’s fine. Your prerogative. But you have to respect people that see the developing part of his game as well. You really seem like you want to see him fail at this point. Why is that? You want to thump your chest about criticising the pick off the bat? Well guess what, he’s a Bruin now, so why not at least hold out hope he turns into a useful player?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Blown first round pick, before he even plays an NHL game :laugh:

How many games of Senyshyn's have you watched?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Curious, what were your thoughts on Marchand when he first started out?
Marchand had 18 goals and 59 points his first season in Providence, as well as being a pain to play against. The little I have seen of Senyshyn does not indicate a pain to play against or good offensive ability in his first minor pro season. Also Marchand wasn't a 15th overall pick in a staked draft.

Reactions: Estlin

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
It’s still his first pro season. Plus, wasn’t he always considered more of a “project” prospect than a lot of his peers? I can’t watch Prov games at all so I have little input as to where he stands, but writing young players off for struggling to put up numbers in their first pro season just seems over reactive to me.

If you want to discount him already, that’s fine. Your prerogative. But you have to respect people that see the developing part of his game as well. You really seem like you want to see him fail at this point. Why is that? You want to thump your chest about criticising the pick off the bat? Well guess what, he’s a Bruin now, so why not at least hold out hope he turns into a useful player?

I don't want him to fail I want him to live up to expectations, that means producing a little bit in his first season in the minors, not 2 goals in 30 games and being a healthy scratch.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Sweeney had said after the Senyshyn pick that Bruins wanted/were targeting large frame goal scoring wingers (Senyshyn, DeBrusk) as they felt that they had enough playmakers in their system and wanted to bring players who were going to take more shots on net into the fold.

He further acknowledged that Senyshyn was a project who would take longer to fully develop than some of his peers that are the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->