Protect Giroux or Getzlaf?

Storm

Sep 27, 2006
Latvia
Deep 30-team league with salary cap.
Deep scoring: G, A, +/-, PIM, Ft, GMiP, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, OG, ShG, SOG, FOW, Hits, Blocks, Gv, Tk. 1/2/3 Star.

Claude Giroux (Phi - C/LW) 6.8 FP/G (Fantasy Points per Game)
Ryan Getzlaf (Ana - C) 7.1 FP/G (but only around 50 games played due to facial injury)

I have chosen Giroux over Getzlaf for the moment. Need more opinions. There're my thoughts:

Core players of Phillies are much younger than Ducks', Flyers will definetely continue to stick in play-off group for next season with Fillpula and Read UFAs, Konecny and Provorov on their final entry-level contracts, Patrick developing and Couturier becoming more elite center. They can easily sign top-6 scorer and good 3rd line center as cap permits. Awesome "Power Play 1st Unit"! The only problem will be their goaltending.

Getzlaf is 2,5 years older. More physical (Hits, Blocks, Takeaways) and two-way center than Giroux, but less productive in terms of scoring and PP.

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
Depends if Giroux's year has been an an anomaly and he reverts to a 60 point guy again or if he's had a renaissance and gotten over the injuries and is back to 90-100 point guy.

Giroux is the riskier but more potentially rewarding option, Getzlaf will be a more consistent producer because of his peripherals.

Storm

Sep 27, 2006
Latvia
Would like to add:
- Giroux has an enormous 16% shooting percentage this season. Closer to 10% will be his true value if we look at his career stats.
- Getzlaf and Anaheim have good schedule - playing on days with less games, which is good for H2H league with daily scoring period interval.

RonTextall

Dec 16, 2007
Ottawa
I am moving on from Getz in my keeper league because I think his best days are behind him. I'd go with Giroux.

Reactions: Storm

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's close. Giroux is slightly younger as mentioned, and the team is on the rise. If Giroux retains LW eligibility, getting faceoff wins from that position is huge. I'm not 100 percent sold on Couturier as a 70 point player. If he regresses, so will Giroux. It's a risky call to go with Giroux, but I'd probably take the chance on him.

Storm

Sep 27, 2006
Latvia
Storm, Getzlaf is currently showing no signs of slowing down. Only game missed recently was with an illness. Carlyle rides his top players, so as long as he is Duck coach Getzlaf will play big minutes. He has been consistently racking up points playing with Rakell and Perry, though Perry at times has shown signs of slippage. Next year, it's possible that Eaves could play with Getz, if he returns. Less likely, but possible, maybe Kase could be promoted to Getz's line. Ducks PP has been bad most of the season, there are all kinds of theories as to why.

Here's comment from Ducks's fan. Although Getz will be 33 in May, he is in a good shape. I need to keep him only for 1 next season, maybe two...

Last edited:
Reactions: RonTextall

RonTextall

Dec 16, 2007
Ottawa
I heard a recap of yesterday's Flyers game on the radio which jogged my memory to a tidbit of info.

I umpire softball in Ottawa and Giroux plays in a men's league in Orleans. I was the base ump during a playoff game when he played 2B in 2015. Next time I saw the team I asked "where's #28?" and a teammate told me he was having his hips shaved. He wasn't very good in 2016-17 but maybe he needed more time to fully recover and we are seeing the results this year. Something to consider.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->