Prospects you were 100% sure about that busted.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Luke Schenn for me. Not sure he's considered a bust but I don't think he ever lived up to what Brian Burke billed him to be.

Take a look at Brian Burke's history of selections with the Leafs, and Burke's UFA signings . It was Burke who was a bust. But I get your point about Schenn. Believe the Leafs traded up four spots to get him, giving up a second and third rounder.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Was Cam Barker mentioned? I thought Barker was going to be excellent.

I liked John McFarland a lot at one point, but then he had a poor second half of the season

I was very happy when the Rangers took Bobby Sanguinetti and Michael Del Zotto. Sanguinetti over Claude Giroux...woof.

Last edited:

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Shane McColgan. Great player with Kelowna. Projected to be a top-3 pick in the years leading up to the 2010 draft. Then he had injuries, dropped, Rangers picked him in the 4th round and as a Rangers fan I was happy. I thought we had the steal of the draft.

Never worked out for McC though unfortunately

I liked Michael St. Croix more, myself

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Maybe too early but:

Dal Colle (amazing player in junior)
Honka (so much raw talent)
Zboril (loved his world performance)
Logan Stanley (thought he would Chara 2.0)
Morin (thought he would Chara 2.0)

Reactions: KristichBabych

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Here's some more for me.

Jared Cowen, Magnus Paajarvi, Cory Conacher, Oscar Dansk, Derrick Pouliot, Slater Koekkoek

Some still have time to redeem themselves
MPS, conacher, Pouliot and koekkoek for me as well. Tho I didn’t get to see a ton of Slater at the time. I was in my beginning years of discovering this site and scouting prospects lol

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Reading back on this thread it's nice to see that Cambell has redeemed himself somewhat.

For me: Colin Wilson - Thought he'd be a 50 point guy minimum, thought he had all the tools to be a top 6er.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Oscar Moller. Just couldn't stick with the NHL for some reason. I seem to recall a huge hit from someone on Anaheim (Ryan maybe?) that he got destroyed by and always wondered if that had anything to do with it.

Went back overseas and has had a great career over there between the SHL and KHL.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Jared Cowen.

Was so sure that being a "regular" top-four defenseman would be his floor, and his ceiling was Chara-lite.

He suffered a serious knee injury in junior though it didn't make him look that bad against WHL competition it really caught up to him in the NHL.

I'm not going to say that Ryan Murray busted as he is still a very good Dman when healthy but man he just never can stay healthy.

I also thought that Hunter Shinkaruk, despite his size and skillset would at least be an NHL player but again it's hard to know how much injury set him back or if it was just an optimistic evaluation on my part.

Another Canuck, Jiri Slegr had a disappointing NHL career IMO but part of that might have been his drive, same with Nedved from the same draft who looked like he would be a stud but never really grew up.

Reactions: derriko

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
after that near PPG season in sweden, i was SURE Rundblad would be amazing for Ottawa.

Then he came over the pond and like in his 2nd game it was I think, he made what became known as "dat pass" over on the Sens board.

This was like a 160ft tape to tape saucer pass from his own end that can only be described as godly. And in one pass all of the hype was "confirmed" for a fanbase that had been eagerly awaiting his debut in the NHL.

Incredibly enough that was the high point of his NHL career, by far. Ottawa was extremely shrewd for having traded him after only 24 games (they knew he was likely going to bust) while he was still living off of the pre NHL hype and value that he generated for himself, and got Turris in return for him.

Reactions: derriko

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
The day Montreal drafted a french local boy, when the draft was held in Montreal, I knew it was going to be a full bust move. Too much pressure to please the fans. That's why there is only one way to draft in the first rounds : BPA.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
Daigle was before my time but I'm sure he'd be at the top of most people's list.

The guy was supposed to be a superstar.

In my eyes, I still can't believe Nail Yakupov became the dud he is now. He was so much fun to watch with Sarnia.
He had no love for the game. Basically played for his dad. Left hockey for couple years. He still had 2-3 good years but for most part disappointing

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I was 100% sure Peter Holland would be at least a 50p 2c. I mean he still had a career at the NHL level..sort of. But I was still very wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad