Prospects you were 100% sure about that busted.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Repeated tonnes of times already in this thread, but Yakupov. I was so sure of him that I immediately bought a rookie Yakupov jersey as my only jersey... Oops.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I didn't think he'd be a star, but I really liked Devante Smith-Pelly in Anaheim. Thought he could be a 20-25 goal guy. I prematurely felt vindicated when he got dealt to the Devils and put up 13 points in 18 games.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Not anywhere close to busting yet but Juolevi was overrated because of the WJC. Looking like the worst top 5 pick in 3 years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As a kid I thought everyone drafted top 5 was going to progress like they did in NHL 2001. But, since I started seriously following the draft, Bogosian and Ryan Murray have surprised me, but I think those are fueled by injuries. They are bust for their draft slots but still (or were) competent NHLers when healthy. How bad the 2012 draft, while not viewed as great at the time has ended up is a surprise. I don't think anyone would have thought Yakupov and Grigorenko who were viewed as 1 and 2 until late March would bust to the levels they did.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
not a full out No NHL career bust, this player is still a NHL level back up goalie,

I thought Al Montoya can very lease be a starting NHL goalie career wise, not a back up from team to team guy.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Patrick Poulin
Kris Beech.
Denis Shvidki
Jani Rita
Martin Samuelsson
Nikita Filitov
Lauri Tukonen
Rotislav Olesz
Gilbert Brule

The 99 draft was bad for me.

I remember being upset that Lauri Tukonen got taken before us, and we had to "settle" for Lauri Korpikoski. Jokes on us i guess, as they both sucked.

aigledefeu

Oct 30, 2011
quebec
Nikita Filatov
Gilbert Brulé
Alexandre Picard
[insert Blue Jackets prospect here]
Mikhail Grigorenko
Yevgeni Svechnikov (I still have hope for him)
Stanislav Chistov

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Really bought into the Cole Cassels hype thought he'd be an elite 3rd liner/decent 2nd line center guy. Turns out he's hardly even that in the AHL

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm pretty low on most prospects so busting is the norm for me... except for Tyler Pitlick.

Saw him live a few times (I lived in TO and watched Marlie games) and his speed and skill blew me away. The only AHL players that have truly impressed me has been few - Nigel Dawes, Craig Andersen, Jamie Oleksiak.

To be fair, Pitlicks issues were 100% injuries. He still scored 14 goals last year and 8 in 31 the year before. Forsure he hasnt turnt out as expected, but a bit different then some of these guys

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i was sure wild 4th pick benoit pouliot was going to be the next gaborik. daigle was already mentioned i'll just say gretzky was sure peter mueller was a stud.

Hybrid MB24

Nov 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
I gotta' say Evgeny Grachev. Had a good year in the OHL (although he played on same team as Hodgson and Duchene) which may have helped his numbers for his 40-40 year. Had decent years in Hartford which I was sure he could pan out to be a good 2nd liner; worst case a 3rd liner. He bombed it as a Ranger and had 1 goal at the NHL level with the Blues. Seems to have been just okay in all levels he has played in, even now in the KHL. As a 3rd Round draftee, I guess he did well. Didn't meet me personal expectations.

Reactions: Leopain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad