Prospects who were rushed, brought in too late ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentNaslund*

Tim Connoly , Patrik Stefan, Dan BlackBurn, M.A Fleury, but he was sent back to juniors which was good, sorry to say this, the Sisters were kinda rushed in. Even tho, they had 1 year off, but I think they still needed another year off, of developement, in upper body, and speed. They were not fast, and they were real weak.

Zaddik

Manny Malholtra
Manny Malholtra
Manny Malholtra
Manny Malholtra
Manny Malholtra
Manny Malholtra
Manny Malholtra
Manny Malholtra

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Daigle, Lawton. Wickenheiser, Ken Yaremchuk, Jim Benning, Tverdosky, Phillips, Scott Neidermayer, both Sedins. Langkow. All either brought up too early because they were drafted so high and the team felt obligated to make a splash with them, or brought up too early because they were too good for the level they were playing at and there was no alternative short of the NHL. I am a firm beleiver that young players need to be challenged but not overwhelmed and when they are strong enough and confidant enough they will hit the deck running and never look back.Sitting on the bench in the NHL does nothing to improve a prospects skills, nor does throwing them in somewhere over their heads. You watch them year after year and people talking about all the tools a player has but being unable to put it together.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
For the Penguins :
- No to Fleury. He was too good in camp to send him to juniors. Would have been a bad message
- Dome : rushed
- Kraft : too late (he was the best player in camp at 19 at was sent back to juniors ; he didn't try as hard in his second camp)
- Morozov : shoud have been played in the AHL or on the top two lines. No point in putting him on the third line like the Pens have done for years until they had no depth.
- Caron : was a good NHLer before being a decent AHLer.

On the positives, Orpik was just right. Malone seemed to do well without AHL time. Koltsov had nothing more to learn in the AHL.

Large_Farva*

Injury or not, Blackburn was rushed. No goalie should be in the NHL at 18.

sandels

Aug 2, 2005
Lake Bodom
Aki Berg came over to the NHL at the age of 18 with something like 10 FEL games against grown men under his belt.

A lot of people at the time were saying he should wait a bit and get more experience and maturity before making the jump, not to get his confidence destroyed and develope his play more with lesser competition.

They were probably right...

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
So many to choose from the Panthers, but going with the most recent and notable......

Too Early: Jay Bouwmeester - Not a bust yet, but a kid his age shouldn't have been made the team's #1 defenseman so soon (especially since the Panthers barely had any veteran support to teach him).

Too Late: Lukas Krajicek - Panther GM Rick Dudley admitted he shouldn't have kept Krajicek in Juniors for an extra year, Lukas ended up not following the team's training plan they gave him, I believe he returned in the offseason out of shape and digressed.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
I think Spezza was held back partly becasue his ego clashed with Martin's, partly becasue Ottawa was a team trying to win a Stanely cup, also the organization was fearful of "Diagleitis", where in you rush an unproven prospect and give him way too much cash,and mainly becasue Martin was too stubborn to see what spezza could have done on that team.. Instead of allowing spezza to play between two responsible wingers, Martin went instead with Radek "tin man " Bonk and his pet boy Todd White at centre and spezza went back to junoir, had an uninspired season got traded (requested) to Windsor, where he was outplayed in the playofffs by Stephen Weiss.
Next year with Martin at teh helm again Spezza started in Bingo while Van Allen took up space in Ottawa..uuhhggg

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Mole ii said:
Sutter gave him 20 minutes a night because he had no choice. McCarthy was really good for a stretch. unfortunately though, he got injured and that was the beginning of the end for Steve and the Hawks.

Vancouver will show Chicago how to develop an offensive defensman such as Mccarthy this season.

McCarthy looked a little better to start the season. He got 20 minutes a night. It doesn't matter if he got those by default or he earned them. He still did squat with them.

No they won't, it's Steve McCarthy.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
salty justice said:
The bigger problem was that not only was he rushed but they made him sit after rushing him. Sputter had him in the press box many times so that he could see the likes of Krapovtsev, Klemm, Poapst, Dempsey, and Mironov embarass the Hawks getting top pairng minutes over the last few years. He has yet to be given a real chance to succeed.

Hmm, sounds like the Wild's treatment of Bouchard, and to some extent, Burns.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
south end super star said:
I think Spezza was held back partly becasue his ego clashed with Martin's, partly becasue Ottawa was a team trying to win a Stanely cup, also the organization was fearful of "Diagleitis", where in you rush an unproven prospect and give him way too much cash,and mainly becasue Martin was too stubborn to see what spezza could have done on that team.. Instead of allowing spezza to play between two responsible wingers, Martin went instead with Radek "tin man " Bonk and his pet boy Todd White at centre and spezza went back to junoir, had an uninspired season got traded (requested) to Windsor, where he was outplayed in the playofffs by Stephen Weiss.
Next year with Martin at teh helm again Spezza started in Bingo while Van Allen took up space in Ottawa..uuhhggg

Spezza wasn't even drafted in 01/02 when he was traded to Windsor and the Spitfires played Plymouth.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
For the Flames right now (on the team) it would have to be Chuck Kobasew. The guy was rushed like most previous prospects in the Flames system. He finally got a solid AHL season under his belt due to the lockout which I think will do great things for his offensive game.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Kritty said:
I really fail to see the logic behind this one.

1999-2000 = 14 goals, 20 assists, 34 points
2000-2001 = 10 goals, 31 assists, 41 points
2001-2002 = 10 goals, 35 assists, 45 points

He had been increasing his production every year in the league with the exception of his last season. Considering he entered the league as an 18 year old and scored 14 goals, I'd say he was pretty much ready to play. The reason he has fallen is injuries, not being rushed.

I really fail to see how he was rushed.

He was touted as a Steve Yzerman-esque player before his draft year. I really like Timmy, but he's not even close to that caliber. Watching him for several years, you tend to notice his utter lack of confidence at times, an issue I have little doubt would have been resolved with some time in the AHL. The [offensive] sky was the limit with him, and in some ways, it still is, but it will be much more difficult for him to reach it now.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
too late:

Christian Dube

The kid played a few NHL games but was told to bulk up. He came back to camp and was told he was too slow, and to drop a few pounds. He came back to camp and was told to bulk up... and teh cycle continued till he was off in the Swiss leagues.

Edit:

found his stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=00014471

I mean...from his numbers he certainly doesn't look like a bust. Only dissapointing season was when he was playing 4th line on the Rangers.

I still don't understand why he isn't wearing a Rangers Jersey.

Last edited:

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
blackburn was slightly rushed, but he def could have handled it, and i thought was spectacular at times behind a shoddy rangers d.

really is a shame, he could have been mentioned in the same breath as luongo right now....sigh

cristian dube

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Bookman said:
Hmm, sounds like the Wild's treatment of Bouchard, and to some extent, Burns.

Bouchard's main problem was where to put him. Minnesota couldn't place him back in the Q because he absolutely demolished the league with ~150 points in his sophomore season but he couldn't be placed in the NHL, so where do you place him? You can't, so the best thing they could've done was bring him into the NHL. Most people forget that he had an AWESOME camp.

Burns is a little bit of a different situation. I think the Wild wanted to show fans they could sign someone and signed Burns. He definitely should've been placed back in Brampton BUT he is turning out to be a solid defenseman.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
south end super star said:
You're damn right the Sens had "Daigleitis" in mind when it came to Spezza.

However, you're making the assumption that sending Spezza back to the minors (or junior) was a decision based solely on what he could do on the ice.

Your definition of Daigleitis isn't quite the same one that the Senators used. (sniff...SNIFF)

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Pavel Brendl was rushed.

how was brendl rushed?? he was sent back to juniors twice and didn't make his nhl debut until he was 20. for a top 4 pick with that much potential that isn't exactly rushing him...rushing him would have been expecting him to jump in as an 18 year old.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
re:blackburn...the issue isn't simply that he was 18. it was the fact that he was playing on arguably the worst defensive team in the history of the nhl. you don't put an 18 year old behind a team that has no system, doesn't play defense, never knocked down offensive players looking for rebounds, etc...

had he been an 18 year old playing for even a decent team he would have been fine, but that was way too much for any kid to handle...

the way the rangers handled his playing time was also a disaster. most teams that promote their future #1 that quickly would want to make sure he gets playing time. but blackburn sat like 30 straight games then after richter got hurt he played 22 straight games (and did well before completely burning out) those 2 extremes were a recipe for failure. had he played 1 out of every 4 or 5 all year long till he showed he could handle more than he would have had a lot better chance of success...

of course while they did nothing to help his development, if it wasn't for the injury he would have still been a real good goalie...so he isn't a guy that was 'ruined' by being rushed.

Vic Rattlehead*

HF2002 said:
So what you're saying is that Roy wasn't 18?

You asked for goalies who were 18 or 19 that were succesful for the NHL. I said Roy wasn't successful in the NHL at those ages(He only played 1 game), but he did when the Cup at age 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->