Prospects who were rushed, brought in too late ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Jason Spezza - Ottawa might've beat Toronto last year with his offensive genius.
As an unabashed Sens fan, I have no problem saying that playing Spezza morein the last playoffs probably would've resulted in Ottawa being eliminated SOONER. At that point in time, he stunk. He tried the same curl and drag move every time he crossed the blueline (which was more predictable than Terry Schiavo's impending death after being removed from the respirator).

Had he been playing as well as you're suggesting he could have played, there's no way he wouldn't have been in the line up. The coaching staff thought he was more of a liability than an asset, which I still agree with agree. Then again, what the hell do I know? I'm far from being an expert in this. :)

japanman

Jul 6, 2004
Back in Edmonton Yo!
I think Ales Hemsky of the oilers was rushed a bit. He was to good for the "Q" but I think he should have played a year in the AHL to get used to the speed and work work ethic of being a pro.
Hes doing great now and I expect a real break out season from him but in his first year he sat in the press box to many nights when he could have been a top six guy on a AHL team. When he was drafted the oilers oganization didnt have anyone of his skill set so I'm sure thats why he made the big team right out of junior.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
TOO LATE:

Niklas Kronvall - Let him play already!

Kronwall came to NA when he felt he was ready, and he played in the NHL when he came (2 years ago) , it was unfortunate for him the lockout was last year.

Claypool_*

jcorb58 said:
M A Fleury- I am not saying he is a bust but he was rushed

He was also the best rookie his first month in the league.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
HF2002 said:
As an unabashed Sens fan, I have no problem saying that playing Spezza morein the last playoffs probably would've resulted in Ottawa being eliminated SOONER. At that point in time, he stunk. He tried the same curl and drag move every time he crossed the blueline (which was more predictable than Terry Schiavo's impending death after being removed from the respirator).

Had he been playing as well as you're suggesting he could have played, there's no way he wouldn't have been in the line up. The coaching staff thought he was more of a liability than an asset, which I still agree with agree. Then again, what the hell do I know? I'm far from being an expert in this. :)

I may be totally wrong but I feel the Sens would've fared better with Spezza, than without.

The Sens only allowed 14 goals in 7 games against the Leafs. Thats an admirable stat, considering Brodeur and the Devils let in 13 in 5 games & Turco and Devils let in 18 in 5 games also.

The powerful Sens offense only managed to score 11 goals in those 7 games though. Maybe Spezza would've resulted in a few bad plays and been liable for 1-2 goals against but overall, I think his presence would've been mighty if he was given enough opportunity to score. Two years ago, he scored 2 points in 3 playoff games and was a +1. I don't know why Martin scratched him last year.

But I digress. You are probably more knowledgeable than me with Ottawa affairs. I had originally thought the Spezza dectable was one of the primary reasons why Martin was fired.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
HOCKEY_GURU said:
TOO LATE:

Niklas Kronvall - Let him play already!

Kronwall came to NA when he felt he was ready, and he played in the NHL when he came (2 years ago) , it was unfortunate for him the lockout was last year.

I may be wrong here but didnt he break his leg and miss a big chunk of the season?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Jon Prescription said:
I'd LOVE, LOVE to see how you can explain how Blackburn was rushed.

Let's hear this. Should be as funny as each time someone makes that dumb comment.

Are you a Ranger fan? This kid was simply thrown into the fire when Richter got injured and forced to start more than 20 games in a row behind an extremely shoddy defense. In watching these games it was obvious that the kid had the talent to play at the NHL level, and he even stole a few games despite being shelled night in and night out. That being said, I dont think the Ranger brass had any intention to play Blackburn anywhere close to that much, he was "rushed" out of necessity when Richter went down.

Claypool_*

I think Grigorenko will be one considered too late. The guy was ready 3 or 4 years ago. (I know he was in a car accident)

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Steve McCarthy.

Has played NHL games in every year since he was drafted.

Played 44 games the year after he was drafted.

Never accomplished much in a Hawks uni.

Don't by the argument that Sutter ruined him. Sutter gave McCarthy almost 20 minutes a night in 03-04. McCarthy put up 4 points in 25 games.

Hopefully he'll do somethin in Vancouver.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Jovanovski = Norris said:
I may be totally wrong but I feel the Sens would've fared better with Spezza, than without.

The Sens only allowed 14 goals in 7 games against the Leafs. Thats an admirable stat, considering Brodeur and the Devils let in 13 in 5 games & Turco and Devils let in 18 in 5 games also.

The powerful Sens offense only managed to score 11 goals in those 7 games though. Maybe Spezza would've resulted in a few bad plays and been liable for 1-2 goals against but overall, I think his presence would've been mighty if he was given enough opportunity to score. Two years ago, he scored 2 points in 3 playoff games and was a +1. I don't know why Martin scratched him last year.

But I digress. You are probably more knowledgeable than me with Ottawa affairs. I had originally thought the Spezza dectable was one of the primary reasons why Martin was fired.

I also agree with what HF said. He wasnt playing very well and did try that stupid toedrag about 90 times. Vermette was also playing very solid hockey, going all out on every shift to prove he deserved the ice time. Fisher gets the credit for the game 6 GWG but all Fish had to do was tap it in after a very nice set-up/deke from behind the net by Antoine. IMO the three points Spezza got against the devils was also a matter of him taking them by surprise. They didnt take him seriousely (rookie plaing his like 20-30 th game in the playoffs) and get burned. I supported the decision then and do now.

Martin got fired for sticking to ridigly to his game plan, IMO being too passive, and finally the sens just needed a change.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I do not know if he was rushed. But PMB from the wild. Seemed to be ahead of the game in the Q and just not ready for the NHL. Needed to play everyday but there was no real place for him. Too bad he could not have gone AHL.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Patrik Stefan.
They picked him as a franchise player for their 1st draft and it wasn't his role.
they rushed him just after the draft trying to have a fan base around him but he could have been better with more time in the minors.
Unfortunatly 99 was bad and Heatley-Kovalchuk came immediatly.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I tend to feel that the Habs have traditionally held guys back too much. Petr Svoboda might be the only one "rushed", but he held his own ok (surprisingly). Some guys I felt were held back to their total destruction: Terry Ryan, Jose Charbonneau, Pierre Sevigny. Others were just held back too long from playing useful roles, and ended up blossoming into their full potential after getting a better chance elsewhere: John Leclair, Darcy Tucker, Arron Asham, Craig Conroy. But every team has stories like that.

Terry Ryan is the guy we ruined most thoroughly, IMO. He should have been a player.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I don't think a player can be brought over/into the NHL too late. They are either 1. Well groomed and ready to step right in or 2. Never had a shot to suceed in the NHL in the first place. The only arguement you could make is someone like a Trent Hunter who as a 25 year old and scored 25 goals. Maybe they could have had an extra season or two with him sucessful in the NHL. Or maybe they played it perfectly and he stepped in and did a good job, you never know.

HughJass*

mazmin said:
Huml, Weiss, Pyatt...

Pyatt, maybe, but you want to give Weiss and Huml more time? How can you even say Weiss? Wow.

I beg to differ about Alexandre Daigle, too. To me scouts ignored signs on his mental makeup, and this also was ignored when it came to his development. Still, you can blame Daigle for all of his problems, no one told him to go 'money for nothing' on a young expansion that needed 110% from him.

Anyhoot, David Tanabe was not ready for the NHL when Rutherford rushed him. I saw him in a pre-season game turn the puck over consistently and I had to scratch my head at why he didn't spend more time at Cincinatti (the IHL affiliate at the time). He's starting to become a player now, but too late for my team.

Players like Kyznaev was just a bad draft pick, and Tselios and Kurka had the distinct pleasure of rotting in our organization. Yay.

I'm hoping Ladd doesn't become a shell-shocked, rushed player. From all reports he's not returning to the Calgary Hitmen. :shakehead

At least Cam Ward looks solid.

Mole ii

Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Wally112pac said:
Steve McCarthy.

Has played NHL games in every year since he was drafted.

Played 44 games the year after he was drafted.

Never accomplished much in a Hawks uni.

Don't by the argument that Sutter ruined him. Sutter gave McCarthy almost 20 minutes a night in 03-04. McCarthy put up 4 points in 25 games.

Hopefully he'll do somethin in Vancouver.

Sutter gave him 20 minutes a night because he had no choice. McCarthy was really good for a stretch. unfortunately though, he got injured and that was the beginning of the end for Steve and the Hawks.

Vancouver will show Chicago how to develop an offensive defensman such as Mccarthy this season. Of course he'll be extremely motivated what with the local team and all. His moms cried tears of joy when he got traded! :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad