Prospects who were rushed, brought in too late ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Can you people name me players who were rushed and failed because of it but whom you feel would have succeeded, or become better players if they had not been rushed.

I'd also like exemples of players who you think were brought in too late. Because if there's such a thing as a prospect who is rushed, I'm sure there are exemples of players who were left off teams that were either too deep, or because some GMs were too careful.

I'd like to see if an opinion I have is confirmed or not...

10 ft. pole

May 19, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
E = CH² said:
Can you people name me players who were rushed and failed because of it but whom you feel would have succeeded, or become better players if they had not been rushed.

I'd also like exemples of players who you think were brought in too late. Because if there's such a thing as a prospect who is rushed, I'm sure there are exemples of players who were left off teams that were either too deep, or because some GMs were too careful.

I'd like to see if an opinion I have is confirmed or not...

Look up Jamie Storr in a hockey encyclopedia!

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Rushed: Steve McCarthy
Rushed: Dan Blackburn (Altough that wasn't the reason he failed)

Last edited:

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Hedberg said:

The bigger problem was that not only was he rushed but they made him sit after rushing him. Sputter had him in the press box many times so that he could see the likes of Krapovtsev, Klemm, Poapst, Dempsey, and Mironov embarass the Hawks getting top pairng minutes over the last few years. He has yet to be given a real chance to succeed.

Vic Rattlehead*

Hedberg said:
Rushed: Dan Blackburn

The reason Blackburn is not signed is because of he plays with two blockers. He was rushed, but it looked like it didn't hurt his development. He played very well. He wasn't a bust. It's a simple case of an injury ruining a players career. This thread is about players who failed because they were rushed. Blackburn failed because of a devastating injury.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
For the Kings you could probably go with a few. Storr, Berg, Jokinen, Sydor, Zhitnik...all were rushed and only a few of those garned any success once they were moved.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
A few more who were rushed: Manny Malhotra, Rico Fata, Oleg Saprykin, Dan Cleary, Dainius Zubrus, Chad Kilger

All of them were high first rounders who were playing in the NHL at age 18 or 19 and it is clear that they have all not reached their potential and in many cases could have used more time in junior and even a season in the AHL before making a permanent jump to the NHL.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
The reason Blackburn is not signed is because of he plays with two blockers. He was rushed, but it looked like it didn't hurt his development. He played very well. He wasn't a bust. It's a simple case of an injury ruining a players career. This thread is about players who failed because they were rushed. Blackburn failed because of a devastating injury.

Ever think his injury might have had something to do with him being brought in too young, before his body was fully grown and ready to handle the training and stress of the NHL?

He was rushed, badly.

Vic Rattlehead*

Whawks33 said:
Ever think his injury might have had something to do with him being brought in too young, before his body was fully grown and ready to handle the training and stress of the NHL?

He was rushed, badly.

If that's true, how come we don't see many more 18-19 year old suffering these types of injuries in the NHL?

He was rushed, but the topic is talking about players whose career was ruined BECAUSE they were rushed. Blackburns career was ruined because of an injury.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
19bruins19 said:
I didn't mean Blackburn was a bust and I know he plays with two blockers. He looked good in his first year, but wasn't as good in the second year. He was rushed to the NHL though.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Whawks33 said:

He was rushed, badly.

Uhhhh, if you even know what you're talking about you'd know that he suffered an absolute freak injury lifting like a 10lb weight.

He played great for his age in the NHL and had no where to go.

If he was EVER sent back to the CHL, all he would do would be stagnate in an environment that he had absolutely DOMINATED. The only thing to do with him was to move him up to the NHL since he would stagnate in the CHL and wasn't allowed to play in the AHL.

He's one of the few prospects the Rangers actually handled right for once and anyone who disagrees is ignorant and has no idea about the situation.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Marc the Habs Fan said:
A few more who were rushed: Manny Malhotra, Rico Fata, Oleg Saprykin, Dan Cleary, Dainius Zubrus, Chad Kilger

All of them were high first rounders who were playing in the NHL at age 18 or 19 and it is clear that they have all not reached their potential and in many cases could have used more time in junior and even a season in the AHL before making a permanent jump to the NHL.
It sucks that Malhotra was rushed into the league so fast... I remember reading some of the hype about him.. especially Gretzky's comments.

However, Malhotra had something of a renaissance with Columbus... hopefully some of his skills pan out now that he's getting the ice time.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Rushed: Dan Cleary, Jason Bonsignore

Too late: Jani Rita, Micheal Henrich, and maybe Alexei Mikhnov

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Jon Prescription said:
I'd LOVE, LOVE to see how you can explain how Blackburn was rushed.
Dan Blackburn had a great camp in 2001 and played great as an 18 year old. However, as a 19 year old, he was not as good and should have been sent to Juniors. However, not realizing fully what this thread was about till after I posted his name, Blackburn did not fail because of this. I orginally thought this thread was just about players rushed to the NHL, even if they eventually succeded.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
TOO EARLY:

Rico Fata - A 6th overall pick whom Calgary nabbed and threw in the deep end right away. Struggled for 20 games in the NHL and put up only measly point. He lost a lot of confidence and Calgary's coach looked like a fool. Fata had speed and skills but his overall game was severely underpar. He looked lost on the ice every night.

Rotislav Klesla - A 4th overall pick who looked like a poor man's Pronger. All the tools in the world and impressed many with his solid, yet unspectacular play as 18-19 year old in 2000-2001. Played full NHL seasons as a 19 year old, then another full season as a 20 year old. Solid but unimpressive play ever since. Maybe more development would've served him better since his offense has stagnated and his physical aspect never really took off either.

TOO LATE:

Niklas Kronvall - Let him play already!

Jason Spezza - Ottawa might've beat Toronto last year with his offensive genius.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
BikeGiftingMan said:
two words: Tim Connolly

Poor guy :shakehead

I really fail to see the logic behind this one.

1999-2000 = 14 goals, 20 assists, 34 points
2000-2001 = 10 goals, 31 assists, 41 points
2001-2002 = 10 goals, 35 assists, 45 points

He had been increasing his production every year in the league with the exception of his last season. Considering he entered the league as an 18 year old and scored 14 goals, I'd say he was pretty much ready to play. The reason he has fallen is injuries, not being rushed.

I really fail to see how he was rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->