Prospects...Who can be the Steal???

daibaffoni

Jul 15, 2006
I am in a keeper league and we draft rookies just as the NHL does, I joined the pool 2 years after it had begun and since then have been able to draft some quality rookies such as Getzlaf,Richards,Pouliot,Price,Wellwood,Jack Johnson,Luv Bourdon,Shawn Belle,AJ Thelene and I have a few more. This year I am again in good shape of adding a few more top quality prospects having 4 first round selections(not sure in which order yet) by trading away some older NHLers such as Recchi,Oniel,Jagr to bolster up my younger talent.

I am planning on picking Erik Johnson,Phil Kessel,Michael Frolik and Jordan Staal, knowing that I will not have the first overall pick and that I know for a fact that Backstrom will be chosen 1st.

First round choices are always a given but what I am looking for are steals that I can get later on in the 3rd,4th and hopefully even the 5th rounds. Are there any suggestions?? I can also draft players from previous years as long as they havnt played a NHL Game. Players I have found that I think I can get late are such as Alexander Yasyunov,Nigel Williams and Roman Voloshenko. This is a pool so only OFFENSE counts.

Opinions??

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I am in a keeper league and we draft rookies just as the NHL does, I joined the pool 2 years after it had begun and since then have been able to draft some quality rookies such as Getzlaf,Richards,Pouliot,Price,Wellwood,Jack Johnson,Luv Bourdon,Shawn Belle,AJ Thelene and I have a few more. This year I am again in good shape of adding a few more top quality prospects having 4 first round selections(not sure in which order yet) by trading away some older NHLers such as Recchi,Oniel,Jagr to bolster up my younger talent.

I am planning on picking Erik Johnson,Phil Kessel,Michael Frolik and Jordan Staal, knowing that I will not have the first overall pick and that I know for a fact that Backstrom will be chosen 1st.

First round choices are always a given but what I am looking for are steals that I can get later on in the 3rd,4th and hopefully even the 5th rounds. Are there any suggestions?? I can also draft players from previous years as long as they havnt played a NHL Game. Players I have found that I think I can get late are such as Alexander Yasyunov,Nigel Williams and Roman Voloshenko. This is a pool so only OFFENSE counts. Opinions??

Carle would be a very good choice then

Tripwyre

Jun 27, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Michael Grabner could be a solid pick-up. A slight risk, as he had a relatively poor first half last year on a bad team (Spokane, of the WHL). After the Top Prospects game though? 22 goals in 23 games. He's also one of the fastest skaters in this year's draft.

Why would I take him? He's got good hands, and in a few years is a likely candidate to play wing with the Sedin twins. Considering the twins could turn me into a 15-goal scorer, a guy with a real nose for the net would rack up points with 'em.

It's a risk, but something to think about.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
steal voloshenko if you can...

surprised nobody has him...

19 year old who put up 30+ goals in the AHL and is a pure sniper.

on a line with bouchard/rolston or something like that in the future, you're gonna see a big time scorer. Maybe svatos like.

daibaffoni

Jul 15, 2006
keep an eye on bergfors, he really played well for the rats in the second half

Bergfors was drafted last year, most of the top rated rookies from last year, whether or not they have played a game have been drafted including bergfors,malkin,johnson,pouliot,brule,toivonen etc...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nikolai Kulemin .. Leafs 2nd round pick ..

He was the RSL rookie of the year and played with Malkin on the same in the Russian league and the WJC and he played with Ovechkin and Malkin on the same line in the recent World Championships ..

Nikolai Kulemin, RW (Metallurg Mg, Russia)
2nd round pick, 44th overall by Toronto

Kulemin was picked right where most experts expected. It looks like the Maple Leafs’ scouts were among the many who were impressed with his performance at the World Juniors. Kulemin could eventually become one of the cornerstones of this franchise. His great work ethic, outstanding talents and ability to lead the team in the most critical situations gives us every reason to believe he’ll make the team pretty soon and be as successful as he was with Metallurg Mg, his Super League squad.

It would be best for Kulemin to spend another year in Russia and prove the meteoric rise that he underwent last season wasn’t pure luck. It would be good for him to work on the defensive side of his game and avoid unnecessary collisions on the ice. In general, it looks like the soon-to-be 20-year-old will be fully ready to perform on the NHL level next summer.

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8922

That is your sleeper pick for you ..

daibaffoni

Jul 15, 2006
agree , this guy will be our next Markov , he has really good offensive skills

Havnt done too much research on Carle yet, but if two of you are now saying hes good Ill keep my eye on him coming in the 3rd or 4th Rounds

Maithz

Havnt done too much research on Carle yet, but if two of you are now saying hes good Ill keep my eye on him coming in the 3rd or 4th Rounds

director of drafting Trevor Timmins said he was one of the best skater of the draft and apparently its true for some of people who saw him in prospect camp actually

jess52

Nov 26, 2005
PEI
Defenseman Marc-Andre Gragnani (buffalo 3rd round pick) 71 points in 62 games last year with the PEI Rocket of the QMJHL

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Carle has no heart at all. I'm a Carle hater, I've seen him play at least 30 junior games. However, he is skilled offensively.

My suggestions to watch for are Ryan McDonough (undrafted, so take him LATE), Mathieu Perreault (WAS 6th round), Alex Bumagin (EDM 6th round), and Claude Giroux.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Defenseman Marc-Andre Gragnani (buffalo 3rd round pick) 71 points in 62 games last year with the PEI Rocket of the QMJHL

Oh for sure. Take him right away.

Also his teammate last year. You can find him in my avatar.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Cody Fransson

check out the stats on big, skilled dman Cody Fransson; he will excel on Canada's WJC team this year and his team will be playing in the Memorial Cup again in 2007 (as Hosts); he scored a hattrick in one of the Memeorial Cup games this spring....always a great sign when a player's stats in playoffs are even better than his regular season stats

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
even if you said he had no heart , we didnt see that at the developpement camp ....

i'm remember when people saying ; latendresse have no heart :biglaugh:

btw when a franch canadian is draft by is favorite team , that give him motivation :yo:

Then why did Eric Chouinard suck so hard when he was drafted by Montreal?

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Then why did Eric Chouinard suck so hard when he was drafted by Montreal?

:biglaugh: please stop with chouinard , the guy is so talented , but he have no motivation even if the habs draft him

but each quebecois dream to be draft by the habs except the ex nordique fan

in the fist two round i think of
Lemieux,Ribeiro,Brisebois,Theodore,Garon,latendresse and now Carle

Brisenbois ans thédore give us some good season !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad