Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm kinda shocked Ronning doesn't have an ELC yet. Even if he is the next Ryan Bourque, give this kid a chance with Hartford. He did play very well in his short tenure alongside Beck.

I think the Rangers like him. He was captain of their Traverse City team. So I do suspect and expect he will be signed.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Ronning will get a contract, they just have other priorities now. He's not a "sexy" prospect like Tom Renney used to say. He's improving which is great. If he can be half the player his father was, it's win.

Morgan Barron apparently had two assists in an exhibition game for Cornell. He's a very long term project to keep an eye on. Great size. If he can have the same kind of trajectory Anders Lee did for the Islanders, all the better.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
All of our prospects have now seen regular season action except Pedrie, who is apparently injured, and Barron, who has only played exhibition games.

Tyler Wall is off to an awful start by the way. 0-3-0 with a GAA of 4.50 and SV% of .833. They had a freshman play one game and he did great. Hopefully Wall turns it around next weekend or else he'll be at risk for losing his starting position.

Reactions: Revel

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I think the Rangers like him. He was captain of their Traverse City team. So I do suspect and expect he will be signed.
I agree, I think he'll get a contract at some point next spring. They had other players they wanted in Hartford and not too many slots for rookies. Also next year 3-4 elc slots could open up with Stromwall, Fogarty, Gilmore and Chapie probably gone and also recent loss of Kovac's. The amount of contracts slots does play a part as well.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I agree, I think he'll get a contract at some point next spring. They had other players they wanted in Hartford and not too many slots for rookies. Also next year 3-4 elc slots could open up with Stromwall, Fogarty, Gilmore and Chapie probably gone and also recent loss of Kovac's. The amount of contracts slots does play a part as well.

Fogarty I'm suspecting will get another shot. The others probably not.

I definitely think the Rangers liked what Ronning did at the tail end of last year in Hartford but I don't think they ever looked at him as a serious candidate for this year's Hartford team. They had just too many bodies for one thing. Hartford lost it's three most productive forwards from last year but Gorton brought in a bunch of players to more than adequately replace that lost offense. Whitney did not have a good year last year but he and Schneider and Carey (Puempel) were big additions--proven 1st line level AHL forwards. The additions of DeSalvo and Kosmachuk provide secondary offense. Add in Lettieri and Gropp and the maturing of Nieves and Tambellini. The offense is better and much more well rounded group. Ronning would have been very hard pressed to win a spot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Also I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Stromwall gone mid-season. He's not going to want to play the year in the ECHL. I suspect he works on getting out of his contract, if his agent isn't doing so already. He can find a spot in Allsvenskan or possibly even the SHL, which would be highly preferable for a Swedish kid (you'd think) to farting around in Greenville.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Agree with NYR2k2 about Stromwell. I was surprised he even came back this year. Regarding Ronning he is the only prospect the Rangers have to sign by the June 1 deadline. There is plenty of room to sign him with Stromwell and Chapie gone next year. I think it is likely that Gilmour is gone but I am going to see the wolfpack in two weeks in Hershey and will let you know after that game if I still think he is gone. Rangers also will have to decide on Matt Puempel and David Catenacci who will be RFA. Since Catenacci reportedly almost didn't come back for this year and already is being scratched he likely is gone as well. So even with Day, Gettinger and probably Anderson counting next year the Rangers still have room to play with under the 50 cap limit.

Interesting story about Ronning. This summer we took our grandkids to the Canadian Rockies. While in Jasper National Park I was wearing a Ranger shirt when I walked to the bus. Our bus driver was talking to another bus driver from the same company but on a different tour. Our bus driver, with whom I had been talking hockey says to other driver, "Here is the Rangers fan." The other bus driver was wearing a Vancouver Giants jacket but I didn't immediately make the connection. He is the bus driver for the Giants. When he saw my Rangers shirt he asked if he could take a picture and send it to Ty Ronning. He assured me everything we have heard about Ronning being a great kid and a team leader is more than true. It's not a coincidence that Ronning was named captain at Traverse City as Eco Bones reminds us. Unless Ronning really stinks this year he is a lock for a contract. Rangers probably waiting until the day -- I think it is January 1 -- when they can sign him to a 2018-2019 contract.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Agree with NYR2k2 about Stromwell. I was surprised he even came back this year. Regarding Ronning he is the only prospect the Rangers have to sign by the June 1 deadline. There is plenty of room to sign him with Stromwell and Chapie gone next year. I think it is likely that Gilmour is gone but I am going to see the wolfpack in two weeks in Hershey and will let you know after that game if I still think he is gone. Rangers also will have to decide on Matt Puempel and David Catenacci who will be RFA. Since Catenacci reportedly almost didn't come back for this year and already is being scratched he likely is gone as well. So even with Day, Gettinger and probably Anderson counting next year the Rangers still have room to play with under the 50 cap limit.

Interesting story about Ronning. This summer we took our grandkids to the Canadian Rockies. While in Jasper National Park I was wearing a Ranger shirt when I walked to the bus. Our bus driver was talking to another bus driver from the same company but on a different tour. Our bus driver, with whom I had been talking hockey says to other driver, "Here is the Rangers fan." The other bus driver was wearing a Vancouver Giants jacket but I didn't immediately make the connection. He is the bus driver for the Giants. When he saw my Rangers shirt he asked if he could take a picture and send it to Ty Ronning. He assured me everything we have heard about Ronning being a great kid and a team leader is more than true. It's not a coincidence that Ronning was named captain at Traverse City as Eco Bones reminds us. Unless Ronning really stinks this year he is a lock for a contract. Rangers probably waiting until the day -- I think it is January 1 -- when they can sign him to a 2018-2019 contract.

Here's my opinion on Ronning and why he seems to be such a good prospect. His dad was in the NHL. It sounds cliche, but think about it. Same with Lias Andersson. They were around NHL players and staff as kids. They know what is going on at that level, within the organizations. They have the support from a parent who knows what it takes. That is a huge advantage for those kids. Ronning being a leader, in my opinion, is the result of being around pro-athletes as a kid. It might be severely underestimated by some, but I feel it is a huge plus.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It is valuable, but it doesn't enhance your actual abilities. Just recently we've had Erixon, Andersson (Calle), Thomas and Tambellini. Possibly others I'm not remembering. Coming from that hockey background may be an asset but it doesn't make you better than you are.

Reactions: Ail

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It is valuable, but it doesn't enhance your actual abilities. Just recently we've had Erixon, Andersson (Calle), Thomas and Tambellini. Possibly others I'm not remembering. Coming from that hockey background may be an asset but it doesn't make you better than you are.

No, it won't do anything skill-wise but it certainly helps mentally. And in that post I quoted it was mentioned that he is a leader on the team and was named captain at Traverse. That's definitely helped along by his background

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Patrik Virta scored his third and led his team in TOI (among forwards) with 21:13. He now has 3-7-10 in 14.

Tarmo Reunanen didn't play again for I believe the third consecutive game. Barring an injury that I haven't read about, it looks like he has lost his spot in the lineup.

As is being discussed in his thread, Lias Andersson currently has two goals, his first two points of the season.

Dominik Lakatos was scoreless again. Rough start for him, for sure.

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Can we build around Lias? And that`s the question, and he need a good passer! :)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ty Ronning had two goals last night, giving him 6 in 9 games. He's also averaging about 5.5 shots per game, which is a good sign. He could be in line for a big 40+ goal season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad