Prospects that saw their stock rise or fall in the WJC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I only got a chance to see 4 games, I'd love to hear opinions from others that saw the games.

Canada - Finland
Canada - Suisse
Czech Rep. - Slovakia
Canada - USA

Players I was most impressed with

Carter, Richards, Dawes, Phaneuf, Montoya, Stuart, Kessler, Bergenheim

Players I was disappointed by

Getzlaf, Coburn, Hudler (only saw one game), Parise (in the early games he seemed to be involved in all their scoring, I thought he was a non-factor in the gold-medal game, the only US game I saw) Fleury (and not just for the last goal), Tambellini

Ticallion961

Mar 27, 2003
Nova Scotia
John Flyers Fan said:
I only got a chance to see 4 games, I'd love to hear opinions from others that saw the games.

Canada - Finland
Canada - Suisse
Czech Rep. - Slovakia
Canada - USA

Getzlaf, Coburn, Hudler (only saw one game), Parise (in the early games he seemed to be involved in all their scoring, I thought he was a non-factor in the gold-medal game, the only US game I saw) Fleury (and not just for the last goal), Tambellini

Players i was impressed with

Carter, Richards, Dawes, Phaneuf, Belle (mostly his skating), stewart Lepisto, Filliupla, Montoya.

Dissapointed with:

Burns, Coburn, Fleury, Bergenheim, Hudler, Fleishman, Schwarz,

I saw all the games aired on TSN except the bronze medal game. Lepisto was definately my MVP of the tournament, he played great in the games i saw, except when he almost scored on his own net in the semi-final against USA.

leafaholix*

Impressed...

- Jeff Carter
I was a nay-sayer when the Flyers took him that early in the draft, but I have come to love this guy as a player. Reminds me of a young Canadian Mats Sundin. Had a great tournament.

- Valtteri Filppula
Another one of those Detroit Red Wings steals. The star of the Finnish team.

- Anthony Stewart
Played great alongside Nigel Dawes and Mike Richards. Physical, yet smooth. He's possibly the closest thing to Todd Bertuzzi I've seen. Played great, would be shocked if he was playing junior hockey in October of 2004 (if there's an NHL season).

- Nigel Dawes
Never really liked him... but after watching him play, I think he's a real solid player. Not big in stature, but he competes hard, and seemed to play with heart game in and game out. Looks a lot like Cliff Ronning.

- Alvaro Montoya
Always square to the puck. It's unfortunate that he didn't make himself eligible for the 2003 draft, because a team would have stolen him.

- Johan Fransson
Scored 3 goals and looked really good vs. Canada in that pre-tournament exhibition game. The Maple Leafs seem to have interest in him... verrrry nice.

- Marek Schwarz
Super goalie. Most athletic goalie I've ever seen. Flexible as hell... too bad the Czech's played poorly in both games vs. Canada. His numbers are decieving... I'd say he was the top goalie in the tournament.

- Rostislav Olesz
Hopefully the concussion's not serious, because he looked super. He's got the size and skill to be a really good NHL player, and sooner rather then later.

Not impressed...

- Thomas Vanek
Thomas Vanek didn't even lead his team in scoring... a team that wasn't supposed to do anything and achieved that. The least he could do was atleast lead the team in scoring while not managing to win a game.

- Ladislav Smid
Ladislav Smid seemed to play soft, very soft. I'm not buying into the whole "top 10" craze.

- Jiri Hudler
Jiri Hudler was diving all over the place. I lost complete respect for him as a player.

- Konstantin Barulin
Konstantin Barulin let in that infamous goal vs. Finland... but even against the CHL teams, he seemed to take a while to adjust and play well. Not sure if he got that opportunity in this tournament.

- Patrick O'Sullivan
It was very nice to see him succeed in the gold medal game, but O'Sullivan appeared to do very little through the previous 5 games.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
John Flyers Fan said:

Canada - Finland
Canada - Suisse
Czech Rep. - Slovakia
Canada - USA

I actually thougth Getzlaf look excellent. Not flashy, per se, but excellent indeed.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
jmelm said:
I actually thougth Getzlaf look excellent. Not flashy, per se, but excellent indeed.

In the games I watched he had numerous chances to score and couldn't finish, and that was supposed to be one of his biggest strengths.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Rise

Stewart
Dawes
Parise
Olesz
Carter
Fillipula
Richards

Wasn't Parise named the tourney MVP or something?

Stay the same when it should've risen

Ovechkin
Malkin

Fall

Vanek
Fleury

Avery4Byng*

I was impressed with Dawes, Carter, Phaneuf, Kesler and Parise...

I was also impressed with the way "#7" D-man Josh Gorges played... sure stepped it up in the tourney.

mcarrick16

May 13, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
O'sullivan played great in the tournament but Eaves or Klesler could not put the rubber on the net! He played really weel but not lucky in the scoring sheet

Dizzy

May 24, 2003
Windsor, ON
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
- Ladislav Smid
Ladislav Smid seemed to play soft, very soft. I'm not buying into the whole "top 10" craze.

Smid didn't help himself in the first game against Canada. McGuire and Miller were on him for going down after blocking a shot with his hand. Later they mentioned they'd talked to some of the scouts watching during the intermission and at least one said it really hurt Smid in his eyes, questioning whether his team should bother drafting the guy.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
A Ukrainian Edition...

IMPRESS

-Illia Tarankov (Ukraine, G) Showed that you can play decent even though having the smallest defenceman in WJC history in front of you. He won't be drafted in the first 4 rounds but he did well to rise his stock. Maybe an NHL club would take a chance on this kid in the 5th or 6th round.

-Kyrylo Katrych (Ukraine, D) Despite having the worst +/- on the Ukrainian team he was put on the ice against every top line of each country they faced. He led team Ukraine in scoring with 1 goal and 1 assist. He's only 5'11 and 170lbs, but if you want a project this is your guy. I'd expect maybe an NHL club taking him in 8th or 9th round.

DISAPOINTED

-Oleksandr Shevchenko (Ukraine, F) He had a poor showing at WJC with 0 points in 6 games. He was supposed to be Ukraine's only hope of putting the puck into the net, but that failed. Despite having good offensive skills, he has to work on being a total team player. Because of his showing his stock went down, even though it looks like he is a lock to be drafted in the mid-rounds.

-Oleksiy Lubnin (Ukraine, D) This kid just simply did the stupidest things, how can you get 48 PIM in 6 games at WJC??? He ruined Ukraine hopes of beating Austria because he's too busy doing something stupid. He may have been a late round project, but now he's blown himself way out of the draft.

Last edited:

RANGERDIEHARD

Jul 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
On the rise :

Poille
Parise
Montoya
Dawes
Carter
Stewart
Schwarz

On the decline:

Fleury
Fleishcman
Hudler
Burns
Getzlaf
Crosby - only because off my expectations coming into the tourney

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
go pierre hedin said:
Impressed...

Not impressed...

- Patrick O'Sullivan
It was very nice to see him succeed in the gold medal game, but O'Sullivan appeared to do very little through the previous 5 games.

I can't really say Patrick O'Sullivan didn't really impress in this tournament, since he did come up big for the United States. Not including the game winner of course. O'Sullivan still managed to roof a shot with very little net to shoot at, since Fleury had his angles cut down. Consequently, O'Sullivan's goal gave Team USA life in the third. Good players come up big in key situations and O'Sullivan managed to do that. So I wouldn't put him under impressed nor not impressed.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Canadian said:
I can't really say Patrick O'Sullivan didn't really impress in this tournament, since he did come up big for the United States. Not including the game winner of course. O'Sullivan still managed to roof a shot with very little net to shoot at, since Fleury had his angles cut down. Consequently, O'Sullivan's goal gave Team USA life in the third. Good players come up big in key situations and O'Sullivan managed to do that. So I wouldn't put him under impressed nor not impressed.

Werner truely impressed me and I'm very happy and excited about his potential in the NHL.

Parise impressed me a lot as well, I expected him to play good but he showed a few NHL teams they made a mistake.

Malkin was also very impressive. He stock sky rocketed. he was ALWAYS around the puck.

Fleury's fell..no not just because of the Gold medal game, the entire tourny he struggled in net and looked scared to death. Come on MAF your not gonna lose your starting job :dunno:

Semin didn't impress me...I know he lpayed on the 4th line for a few games and was the coaches goat but even with his few points he could have done better. At time I hear he was the best player on team Russia then I hear he was non-existant from other people. I only saw one game with him so I can't really say too much but I expected him to be in the running for top forward.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
Wild Thing said:
Why's everybody so down on Burns? I didn't see any of the games, but earlier in the tournament all I heard was how good he looked. What happened there?

I didn't think he looked bad. He got six assists, but not scoring a goal doesn't really get you the exposure. Played a good game in the corners though.

Ticallion961

Mar 27, 2003
Nova Scotia
Tophu said:
Didn't see any games, but judging from the stats, I was hoping to see Pen's prospect Sergei Anshankov mentioned at least a few times.

He put up some nice numbers, but i doubt anyone saw him play since none of the russian games were televised in Canada...at least i think they weren't

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
Impressed...

- Marek Schwarz
Super goalie. Most athletic goalie I've ever seen. Flexible as hell... too bad the Czech's played poorly in both games vs. Canada. His numbers are decieving... I'd say he was the top goalie in the tournament.

You are on crack if you think Schwarz was the top goalie in the tourney!! The guy stunk it up in both games against Canada and could not help his team win a bronze medal! I think his stock definitely fell from this tourney.

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
HabLover said:
You are on crack if you think Schwarz was the top goalie in the tourney!! The guy stunk it up in both games against Canada and could not help his team win a bronze medal! I think his stock definitely fell from this tourney.
I liked Schwarz in the tourney his skill set is very pronounced and don't forget he is only 17 how good would he be if he re-enters it as a 19yr old? Ya sure he got chased out of the net in both games versus Canada but I felt in watching it was far more a part of the large Canadian forwards just physically dominating the czech defenders in their own zone, they had complete carte blanche and Schwarz held out quite well considering this. In the non-Canadian match-ups he played much better statistically speaking, I did not get to see the Bronze medal game but of people that did see it many said he played extremely well and held his team in it. Was Schwarz the best goalie of the tournament probably not but he was pretty close IMO I would say a coin toss between Toivonen(25.5 months older than Schwarz) and Montoya(10 months older than Schwarz) with Schwarz just a half a step behind them.

I don't think his stock has dropped from this tourney it sounded like many scouts were rather impressed with him. He is supposed to go top 5 which I doubt will occur but not because he is unworthy but many of the teams that likely get to pick that early in the draft already have their future goalie waiting in the wings.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Stewart, Carter, Meech, Phaneuf, Olesz, Stuart, Montoya, Stehlik and pretty much everybody in team Finland. On paper, making the QFs was a challenge and they end up taking Bronze and gave the eventual champions a hard time. Apart from two 2004 eligble players (Tukonen and Nokelainen) there also a bunch of 19 year olds who propably will be drafted this time: checking line duo Nurmi/Kontiola will get drafted in later rounds, some team will gamble on talented but immature winger Lennart Petrell, but most importantly Lepistö should go high.

I can give you tons of reasons why this kid will not amount to anything in NHL. He is kind of small for a dman (6-0) and unlike say Markov he doesn't have superior speed to make up for lack of size. Furthermore, his kind of all around European dmen have a reputation for not even making NHL nevermind making an impact. And it's only WJC: remember Puistola back in '98? OTOH, he simply plays very well, rushes and passes the puck, shoots wonderful one timers (even if his shot could use more power) and unlike most offenceman he is good in his own end too and propably led the dman in hits (including some very nice ones, particullary the old fashioned hip check in the Bronze game.) I'd find it hard to pass on him at any spot after the first half of the first round, should go in late first, early second.

leafaholix*

HabLover said:
His games vs. Canada were rough... but the fact that Canada destroyed the Czech skaters had a lot to do with it. Skill wise, he was the most impressive from what I saw.

And Finland (bronze) played a very physical game vs. the USA... dominating the Americans in that game, which says quite a bit considering they're a European team. They did as much damage vs. the Czech's in that bronze medal game I'm sure, as Canada did against the Czech's.

He faced 187 shots, that's the second most in the tournament. Schwarz also played more minutes then any other goalie in the tournament... all this at the age of 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->