Prospects that have gone down hill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

vik said:
I don't think you can say that quite yet...

Lemaire let him go really, he won't really guide Bouchard, he's letting Bouchard do what he wants and he'll coach him but Lemaire has a hands off approach now to Bouchard's development. Bouchard was fiesty in the beginning but the problem is HE'S TINY and HE'S SMALL! The guy is softer then a pillow. I've denied this saying he'll develop stronger but the guy needs to gain a lot of upper body strength. He plays smart but he'll disappear in games were it's rough.

Hawkster58

Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Visit site
oil slick said:
Edmonton Oilers 1st round choices 1994 - 1999 Take your pick.

Year Pick Name
1999 13 Jani Rita Right Wing
1998 13 Michael Henrich Right Wing
1997 14 Michel Riesen Left Wing
1996 6 Boyd Devereaux Center
1996 6 Matthieu Descoteaux Defence
1995 6 Steve Kelly Center
1994 4 Jason Bonsignore Center

Ouch that does hurt!!

Maxim Balmochnyk, Dmitri Nabokov, Alexander Volchkov, Scott Kelman, Cameron Mann and Jason Podollan come to mind right now.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Mizral said:
Nathan Smith comes to mind for the Canucks. Really, our only truely 'bad' 1st round pick so far. Hell, 2003 pick Ryan Kesler has played way more games than Smith already.

Keep in mind, 'downhill' does not necessarily mean 'bust' though.

He hasn't really gone downhill though, he was just a crappy pick period. He never showed any signs of being anything.

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
oil slick said:
Edmonton Oilers 1st round choices 1994 - 1999 Take your pick.

Year Pick Name
1999 13 Jani Rita Right Wing
1998 13 Michael Henrich Right Wing
1997 14 Michel Riesen Left Wing
1996 6 Boyd Devereaux Center
1996 6 Matthieu Descoteaux Defence
1995 6 Steve Kelly Center
1994 4 Jason Bonsignore Center
I feel for you. I remember being in class last year looking over the 1st round of each year and being like, "who in god's name was appointed the power to draft for Edmonton in the 90's???"

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
theo6060 said:
I feel for you. I remember being in class last year looking over the 1st round of each year and being like, "who in god's name was appointed the power to draft for Edmonton in the 90's???"

Barry Fraser was the guy who was in charge of that mess. Mind you, he also drafted Lowe, Messier, Anderson, Kurri, Coffey, Moog, Fuhr, which weren't the worst selections ever I guess.

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
oil slick said:
Barry Fraser was the guy who was in charge of that mess. Mind you, he also drafted Lowe, Messier, Anderson, Kurri, Coffey, Moog, Fuhr, which weren't the worst selections ever I guess.
I guess the good comes with the bad... But Rita looks like a good pick so far.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
icarus said:
Okay, if it appeases you: Daniel Tkachuk is a budding superstar
except not at hockey

maybe it's because you spelt the name wrong? :dunno:

for the Ducks, speaking of starting great
Chistov had 4 pts in his 1st NHL game
Smirnov had 2 pts in that same game (hist first as well)
Both are now in the minors, at a crossroads career wise

Players like Ronnqvist and Tenkrat both looked good starting out for Anaheim, but now they are back in Europe. Tenkrat had one truly dominate pre-season that I can recall.
Niemi was another guy who was rated high, but never really pulled it off

DR. Holiday

forbesy said:
maybe it's because you spelt the name wrong? :dunno:

for the Ducks, speaking of starting great
Chistov had 4 pts in his 1st NHL game
Smirnov had 2 pts in that same game (hist first as well)
Both are now in the minors, at a crossroads career wise

Crossroads are you joking? Chistov is the most talented young player in their system. Look for the coach to go rather than Chistov be in the minors next year,

vega007

Calgary Flames:

2000 9th Brent Krahn
1998 6th Rico Fata
1997 6th Daniel Tkaczuk
1994 19th Chris Dingman
1993 18th Jesper Mattsson

Guys who played junior in Calgary also were drafted high and became big disappointments.....not only Krahn but Kris Beech someone mentioned earlier and how about Pavel Brendl.....he looked like a future 50+ goal scorer in the NHL, then got lazy and go sent down.....now he's injured....he's a guy who will get traded every year for his entire career....consider the fact that he was drafted by the Rangers 4th overall...

Spankatola Jamnuts*

DR. Holiday said:
Crossroads are you joking? Chistov is the most talented young player in their system. Look for the coach to go rather than Chistov be in the minors next year,
Nobody denied he had talent. The guy just doesn't try.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Kris Beech, but its not completely his fault. Injuries and management continuosly jerking him around hasn't helped.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Alexander Volchkov stopped being a prospect like 2-3 years ago, so forget about going down hill...safe to say he's a bust

JF Fortin
Brian Sutherby
Shane Willis

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
vega007 said:
Calgary Flames:

2000 9th Brent Krahn

Much too early to write Krahn off especially with his injuries. He has a great last half last season and seems to be doing alright in his first pro year. He's definitely a long term project but he has the size and athletic ability to become a great NHLer. Look for the Flames goaltending coach David Marcoux to really help Krahn develop over the next couple years. It will really help him when we can get our own farm club so he can get more guaranteed starts.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
Lemaire let him go really, he won't really guide Bouchard, he's letting Bouchard do what he wants and he'll coach him but Lemaire has a hands off approach now to Bouchard's development. Bouchard was fiesty in the beginning but the problem is HE'S TINY and HE'S SMALL! The guy is softer then a pillow. I've denied this saying he'll develop stronger but the guy needs to gain a lot of upper body strength. He plays smart but he'll disappear in games were it's rough.

BTW, I wont be surprised if he starts next year in the AHL...

BJ21

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
PAVEL BRENDL 18 5 3 8 0 8

It looks as if he's turning the corner actually, before this latest injury on a pretty questionable hit from McCabe I believe. The interesting part about this is that Brendl wasn't shooting enough. He only took 27 shots in those 18 games and scored on 18.5% of his shots which lead the team.

He's going to get the shot straight out of camp next season, and he's probably going to take advantage. I'd have him chalked up for 20 goals next season.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
clefty said:
Kris Beech, but its not completely his fault. Injuries and management continuosly jerking him around hasn't helped.

He is also soft and way too skinny to play in the NHL. I've watched Beech since he was 16 and I was absolutley shocked that he was a 1st round pick, nevermind 7th overall. He never should have been picked that high in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->