Prospects Game -q Players Slighted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
The Messenger said:
I guess your own then .. I went and pulled my 2003 The Hockey News draft Preview and Marc-Antoine Pouliot was ranked 14th ..

Jeff Carter was ranked 16th, Ryan Kessler 17th, Anthony Stewart 19th, Pat O'Sullivan 20th, Steve Bernier 24th and Mike Richards 31st,,, so you an idea of what that meant in a strong draft ..

Point was I see the skill sets IMO similar of the 2 players and predict a similar drop by Latendresse ...

If I remember well Pouliot was #4 in the mid term ranking. His main problem is his progression. To me, he is'nt much better now that he was at 17. Ditto for Hennessy and many others prospects. This is something the scouts can't predict.

As for Latendresse, the scouts wants him to play like a powerfoward but he seems to prefer to play like Chad Kilger. That's why he's so hard to rank. If he's willing to do all the sacrifice he might come back in the top 10. The interviews will be crutial for him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jason MacIsaac said:
Central Scouting is allways off on a few players. They seem to like raw strong forwards rather then skilled ones.
I don't know if I would say wrong , but teams certainly do not draft based on these rankings alone .. It was just posted that support my opinion that there is a chance that Latendresse is far from a guarantee 1st rounder despite the early high ranking ..

A team may select him , but a ranking this low on an consensus list amooung scouts must tell us something more then his points on the season or in this prospect game ..

Since I am from the west it is always perceived as Q bashing when a player is ranked lower and it was just my opinion , but apparently I am not alone in my assesment that his game my not project to the physical styles of the AHL or NHL ...

That's all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->