Prospects: Cale Makar (COL) vs Ryan Merkley (2018)

Who goes higher if they were in the same draft class

• Total voters

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I assume Makar will win this in a landslide but would like to gauge the similarities in their game.

Also, based off their draft years, Makar playing in the AJHL not NCAA, and Merkley's performance to date, how would they be ranked in the 2017 and 2018 drafts.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I'll assume you mean Ryan Merkley, another offensive Dman.

Merkley's skating is on another level...but Makar is far better at making decisions on the ice. For that reason I'd think Makar goes higher.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012

Merkley's skating is on another level...but Makar is far better at making decisions on the ice. For that reason I'd think Makar goes higher.

Thanks, yeah it's Ryan. Sorry about that.

Note to all voters: It's Ryan, not Nick Merkey. My stupid mistake. Can not edit the poll

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I've seen Makar live during last years AJHL playoffs and the kids skill is other worldly

Weast

May 16, 2011
Yeah Makar is not amazing defensively but Merkley is one a whole nother level

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Merkley is more talented lights out skater next level vision and offensive abilities but not a complete player, right now it's Makar but Merkley has all the tools to be better

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'll keep blueline-MacKinnon for the avs; he's just so smart & so explosive, to go with all of that skill & his solid frame.
Yeah Makar is not amazing defensively but Merkley is one a whole nother level

Says who? Makar has a very good defensive game and isn't much of a risk-taker with the puck. He's just so skilled & explosive that what would be risky for other blueliners is a safe decision for him at the level he's playing.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

Okay Makar is one of the best young defenseman skaters I've seen, so I'm very curious how can ANYONE be a clear level above especially a prospect!?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Okay Makar is one of the best young defenseman skaters I've seen, so I'm very curious how can ANYONE be a clear level above especially a prospect!?
Makar is a great skater but Merkley’s skating is definitely better. That is the only thing he has on Makar though, this is Makar ainec
Merkley isn’t in my first round anymore

Also, Makar’s defense is pretty sound. People see small offensive dman they think bad defense, it’s not outstanding but it’s solid.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON

Not sure how you can accomplish it, but watch a Guelph Storm game sometime and see for yourself. The kids explosiveness and edgework will leave your mouth hanging open. (his decision making will quickly close your mouth again...)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I haven't seen much of Merkley, but it sounds like it's a MacK n McDavid situation. MacK is insanely explosive and reminded people of Bure...but McDavid is even more ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad