1. Mike Ayers
2. Mike Leighton
3. Corey Crawford
4. Mike Brodeur
5. Craig Andersson
6. Adam Munro
7. Adam Berkhoel
8. Tyson Kellerman

first of all, berkhoel and kellerman have no chance, espcially when theyre this far behind of the others. Every blackhawk fan has thier favorite goaltender prospect, and Ayers is mine. He was named the best collegiate goaltender last year, though his performance has slipped a bit since last year. I do think he can make a rebound and become our #1 of the future.
But if he doesnt...
Leighton has been strong, though his numbers don't show it (and who's numbers would on this blackhawk team?). He certainly has #1 potential, though I think he will be ousted by the numbers game.
Possibly by...
Corey Crawford has been putting up great numbers on his junior team, and has some of the best numbers in the Q. a big favorite of many blackhawks fans. He additionally has the potential to be a great #1, especially if he keeps developing at his current rate
And then there's...
Mike Brodeur. No relation. He was heralded as one of the best prospects at training camp this year. He has been named CHL player of the week before and has a GAA of 2.11. Could easily be a dark horse for #1
Craig Andersson never impressed me too much. He goes down too quickly, and always gives up a soft goal every game. Backup material.
I dont know what to say about munro. He had his game of glory with us not too long ago, but i dont think he could be any more than a backup goaltender. which is more than i thought of him at the beginning of the season

I think Broduer has great potential. I've seen him play since he was in Midget and he has stole a number of games Ive seen him play.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
I have to disagree with Teemu's list a bit.

First of all, let me say I try not to judge goalies. There is way to much this or that, that goes into how well they play.

How many people had Giguere written off as a prospect? Or Boucher? Or thought that Roman Turek was the next big thing?

There are way to many intangibles in net if you ask me.

But from the people who our much more knowledgeable than me about goalies, I have heard as far as upside goes, this is how the hawks play out:

1. Corey Crawford
3. Craig Anderson
3. Mike Leighton(I have heard Anderson has more upside than Leighton for 2 years now).
4. Mike Brodeur
5. Mike Ayers
6. Adam Munro

Mike Ayers looked great a year ago- but several people that I have talked to don't know if he has it to make it as an everyday #1 in the NHL.

Again, I think its about 100x harder to judge what a goalie will be like. There are just waaaaaaay to many intangebles for my liking.

-fullmetalninja

db23

From the Habs point of view, I am not going to listen to some cyber nerds telling me that Yann Danis who had never played a pro (or international) game is a better prospect than Olivier Michaud who has played in three different pro leagues as well as the WJC AND is 2 1/2 years YOUNGER than Danis.

Michaud played in the NHL at an earlier age than Danis played in his first NCAA game.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Hendo2k said:
Maine doesnt have a great defense either in fact i'd rate Michigans signifigantly better. Jim was just another great pick up for Detroit. with all the Wings fans questioning that pick i doubt they are now.

Are you kidding?! What Maine games have you been watching this season? Have you even seen ANY Maine games this season? My guess is no.

Let me lay some stats on you, dear.

1) When the regular season ended, Maine had the top ranked defense in the nation, giving up an average of 1.61 GPG (Goals per Game). Michigan's defense ranked tied with Colorado College for 17th in the nation giving up an average 2.50 GPG.

2) Going into the Frozen Four this coming weekend, Maine continues to lead the nation in defense, dropping their average GPG to 1.55. Meanwhile Michigan has also dropped their GPG, but they still rank LOWER than Maine. They're now ranked tied for 9th in the nation with a 2.44 GPG.

3) Howard leads the nation in GAA (1.05) and save percentage (.958). In the last two games that Howard has played in he has allowed just ONE goal on 85 shots faced.

4) Among the "elite" teams that Maine have beaten this season: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Boston College and New Hampshire. Michigan lost to both Minnesota and Wisconsin in the College Hockey Showcase. They lost to BC in the Great Lakes Invitational. I don't think Michigan has met UNH thus far this season.

5) The last time Maine allowed 3 or more goals was on March 6th in their 4-3 win over BC. The last time they allowed 4 or more goals was on January 30th in their 5-4 win over New Hampshire. In both of these games Frank Doyle got the start and the win.

6) Since January 30th, Maine has allowed 4 or more goals once and 3 goals twice. Since January 30th, Michigan has allowed 5 or more goals 3 times, 4 goals 3 times and 3 goals twice.

Last edited:

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Michael Garnett (Atlanta) is one to watch next season. With Kari Lehtonen generally considered the best goaltending prospect in the world, it would be easy to overlook Garnett performances this season which has been outstanding. This is his profile from Atlanta's top 20 prospect article written by Holly Gunning.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6781&mode=threaded&order=0

HollyG said:
5. Michael Garnett, G, AHL Chicago Wolves (Age 21)
In many team’s systems, Garnett would be the top goaltender. He spent most of this season in the ECHL with the Thrashers new affiliate the Gwinnett Gladiators, putting up great numbers and playing in the ECHL All-Star Game. Called up to the AHL in January due to injuries, he’s done well there too, with a 2.21 GAA and a .927 save percentage in 10 games, though he isn’t facing the toughest opponents as either Lehtonen or Cassivi get the tougher matchups. Garnett will play full time in the AHL for the Wolves in 2004-05.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Respect

Most Under rated is LaBarbera. He's broken the AHL shut out mark, yet doesn't get an asterisk as a starting goalie in this ranking. Labs has never gotten any respect.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Tadite said:
People are giving Munro some love? I'm a Kings fan and its been a long time since we had a goalie prospect who got some respect even if he is projected as a backup.:)

Sigh.... Read then post read then post. Sorry thought it said Munce.:)

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
IMO Leighton is Chicago's best chance in net....look how he's been playing of late and osme of plas he does are impressive....however sometimes does let in a bad one but i still think he is quite better then Andersson

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Like I said, i try to stay away from the goalie guessing game, you look stupid way to easy.

But I talked to someone at camp that knows a lot more than I, who said that most scouts feel as if Anderson has a higher upside than Leighton- more natural ability, but hadn't put it all together yet.

I tend to think "bigger is better" when it comes to goalies. And so i too have always thought Leighton the better of the two(which is why I put them as a tie on my list). My biggest disagreement with the original hawk list was with Ayers as #1. I hope he is- but I've heard that he has more than a couple flaws in his game, and not to expect him to find the same kind of success in the NHL that he had in collegiate hockey.

Munro to me has looked decent. Real good at reading plays and boy does the puck hit him softly. He's given up some rebounds- but usually the puck seems to just drop down, instead of out into the slot..

Who knows, I just hope one of these kids is better than Tbo.

-fullmetalninja

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Peter Sidorkiewicz said:
Michael Garnett (Atlanta) is one to watch next season. With Kari Lehtonen generally considered the best goaltending prospect in the world, it would be easy to overlook Garnett performances this season which has been outstanding.

I am glad to see someone pointed him out here. He has been doing very well in Lehtonen's shadow, and could be a valuable trading chip down the line.

However with only Lehtonen, Garnett, and Smid(who may never come over from Europe) in the system I expect the Thrashers to draft a goaltender this year. Not in the first three rounds though.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
db23 said:
From the Habs point of view, I am not going to listen to some cyber nerds telling me that Yann Danis who had never played a pro (or international) game is a better prospect than Olivier Michaud who has played in three different pro leagues as well as the WJC AND is 2 1/2 years YOUNGER than Danis.

Michaud played in the NHL at an earlier age than Danis played in his first NCAA game.
hey buddy i saw several time michaud live and sure he's very technical but no way he's better than Halak ! Davis i dunno dont have seen him play ...
Michaud is way too inconsistent !! I talked to him and he tells me i'll be happy if he even play in the NHL (pass over Garon and Theo)..
Michaud is at his 1st pro-year and played in the ECHL most part of the year !
if he can't even pass fichaud or damphousse on the depth chart, forget him to pass garon and theo !

btw halak helped his mediocre team to beat some very powerfull WJC team even if he's only 18 years old !
so no way michaud is better than halak ! and Halak is not a top 20 goalie prospect(at least not right now ;))

SwOOsh*

Marshall said:

It kinda matters what you deem a franchise goalie being. If you see it as only goalies such as Roy, Brodeur etc. then yes I agree that those two are really the only ones from the list that our "franchise goalies" (which should be noted as "potential" franchise goalies as anything can happen as we all know with prospects especially goaltending ones)

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
Colorado:

Phillipe Sauve
Peter Budaj
Tom Lawson
Tyler Weiman

None are going to impress at first glance, but that been indicative of the Avalanche system for the last nine years.

Hockeypuck

FlyersGuy69 said:
Howard plays for the University of Maine.

I believe it was senior Frank Doyle's starting job that he took over.

drafted by the Detroit in the second round of the 2003 entry draft, 64th overall....another great selection by Detriot.
Actually Doyle and Howard have been rotating since they both came to Maine last year. Unfortunately for Doyle he won't see another start at Maine although he is a very good goalie in his own right,but he's not at the same level as Howard. Maine will ride Howard as far as he can take them in the NCAA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad