Prospect Goaltending For Every Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Unless Detroit rebuilds...I don't see much goalie prospects starting for Detroit. Or unless they give him back up for 2-3 yrs like Abby got in Colorado but if Liv is back up who is gone and who stays? Legace let go? or as many dont seem to like give Legace the starting job with Liv backing him up?

I can't see Detroit letting go the best back up in the league to a team he'd probably start for or then letting go of Joesph and let take the ball and run with it due to increase age and poor knees. If they do let legace start they will have a former number one as back up incase he falters or they need to rotate. (ex: Boston, Minny, Colorado)

However Liv could be argued as a Franchise Goalie but I mean alot could and some of the Franchise ones could be argued they arent franchise. There's only a few that we all feel is a clear cut franchise goalie (Fluery, Lehtonen etc)

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
JasonMacIsaac said:
I won't express my feelings for Brodeur. I will just say he has the worst fundamentals a goaltender could have.

Must agree but like he said before.... he doesn't have a style. He does what he can to stop the puck, not so much as Hasek but tries alot to stop it. Best Puckhandling goalie there is though

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
SpItFiReZ said:
Must agree but like he said before.... he doesn't have a style. He does what he can to stop the puck, not so much as Hasek but tries alot to stop it. Best Puckhandling goalie there is though
So he relies on reflexes and puckhandling. Next year goaltenders won't be able to handle the puck and Brodeur turns 32 soon. Reflexes do tend to get worse through the 30's. Everything Brodeur has going for him may go down hill.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
There are only 2 players with "Franchise goalie" potential on that list.

Marc-Andre Fleury and Kari Lehtonen.

Agreed. A franchise goalie is Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Grant Fuhr, Tom Barasso...

Those are all Hall of Fame Goalies.......Not someone who, while good, is not elite.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
True they could and then there would be an arguement for Ahonen but Look at Belfour. He's what 38? He's top 5 goalies in the league IMO.

As for not being able to handle the puck...i cant see that one happening really at all...even msot of the defense are against it because they dont want to get plastered into the glass coming into there zone

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
When Roy and Brodeur were drafted neither of them were considered Franchise goalies either.....time tells how good one will be and the list only shows how they are now really
Lehtonen and Fluery could be huge busts we dont know or they could be two best goalies to ever play.
Even someone like Centomo could become an Elite top 10 goalie in the league
Look at Vokoun drafted in late 200's and now hes top 10 in the league.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
SpItFiReZ said:
True they could and then there would be an arguement for Ahonen but Look at Belfour. He's what 38? He's top 5 goalies in the league IMO.

As for not being able to handle the puck...i cant see that one happening really at all...even msot of the defense are against it because they dont want to get plastered into the glass coming into there zone
Belfour is one of the best positioned goaltenders in NHL history. He doesn't need speed.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Position does help alot....but how do u get into to position? you move there and when you move you need speed regardless

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Bruins
1. Hannu Toivonen (Top 10 Goalie)
2. Jordan Sigalet
3. Matti Kaltainen
4. Peter Hamerlik
5. Mike Brown
6. Kevin Regan

Already have Rayzor

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
GOBRUINS19 said:
Bruins
1. Hannu Toivonen (Top 10 Goalie)
2. Jordan Sigalet
3. Matti Kaltainen
4. Peter Hamerlik
5. Mike Brown
6. Kevin Regan

Already have Rayzor

Toivonen continues to develop properly and wow he's going to be real good IMO

Hendo2k

Feb 12, 2003
Palm Coast, FL
members.shaw.ca
JasonMacIsaac said:
Montoya is the best goaltender in college at the age of 18.

not acording to bob mckenzie...

i think u are getting "potential" and talent now confused after what i saw last night and from what i saw of Montoya(i live in dearborn, michigan) one could argue that jimmy howard is college's best goalie right now.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Leafaholix said:
There are only 2 players with "Franchise goalie" potential on that list.

Marc-Andre Fleury and Kari Lehtonen.

Add another to the agree pile. The words franchise player are being tossed around even more than clubhouse cancer anymore.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Hendo2k said:
not acording to bob mckenzie...

i think u are getting "potential" and talent now confused after what i saw last night and from what i saw of Montoya(i live in dearborn, michigan) one could argue that jimmy howard is college's best goalie right now.
I am not getting potential and talent mixed up. I think it was mid feb before Montoya gave up more then 3 goals in a game. The guy is simply amazing.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
1- Where is the love for Patrick Ehelechner in this thread? This guy has stood on his head for Sudbury Wolves in the OHL all season, despite Sudbury having probably the youngest defense in the OHL... a young defense that still hasn't learned to clean up rebounds. He gets no help and was one of the most impressive goalies in the OHL this year, he is in my eyes the best goalie in the OHL right now and I think more people will think highly of him if he takes Sudbury to the second round. He lost 2-0 in game one vs. Toronto on Friday and -still- got the game's third star because both goals should not have happened. They were rebounds the defense didnt clear for him.

Also... Wade Dubliewicz. What does this guy have to do to get any respect on HockeysFuture.com or HFBoards.com. The guy is DOMINATING the AHL right now. Just like he DOMINATED college hockey. I mean, is it really fair to face this guy? He has a 1.4 GAA and a .945 sv %. He has been ridiculous. I know his detractors say he doesn't have the speed of an NHL goalie and his style is complex and difficult to project at the NHL level, but each step he has taken in his career he has proved people wrong. I will say this, he appears to read through screens really well, almost like the player's in front of him are made of translucent glass.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
As for you listing Sharks german goalie Dmitri Patzold as a future franchise goaltender... that's somewhat laughable. The guy has taken a major step back this year in the AHL and he is showing why he needs to learn better technique if he ever expects to make the NHL. The guy is all joints and fast-twitch muscles. He needs to use his head if he expects to be even a serviceable goaltender in the NHL.

What's more laughable is The Sharks have another german goalie in their system who is younger and ranked higher on Team Germany's depth charts for the world games. Sorry, but Ehelechner is already considered in germany to be better than Patzold. What's interesting about Ehelechner that I find so entralling is he didn't play at all really before the Sharks drafted him. They saw barely enough on him to draft him. Now it looks like they got a steal in rnd 5 of the draft. Also, in addition to Sudbury's d not clearing rebounds, they have a habit of letting opponents drive to the net on Ehelechner too easily. They are young tho, and Staal, McQuaid and DAversa are all projected to be good draft picks in their draft year.

Turner

JasonMacIsaac said:
I am not getting potential and talent mixed up. I think it was mid feb before Montoya gave up more then 3 goals in a game. The guy is simply amazing.
C'mon Howard has not given up a even strength goal since Dec 5 for crying out loud. He has taken the starting job away from a senior tender and played out of his mind last night with 63 saves in a triple over time game. He has the size and the skills to be a solid number one guy on that list, at the very least.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
QUESTION 4 EVERYONE
How about we make a Top 10 List of goal tending prospects and debate that then since we are argueing about franchise etc. so lets also make our Top 10 list then.
Mine is:
1) Lehtonen- Is in top 2 for sure no doubt about it but he'll get my vote as of now for first. Transition has been smooth and has played against better competition than Fleury except when he was in the NHL.
2) Fluery- Once again top 2 for sure. Doesn't get first overall on my list because he never had to play against men until he was in the NHL. However was very good until closer to his demotion.
3) Emery- This guy was a steal for Ottawa. Fiery demonear...very good skills only problem is temper (Hextall)
4) Oullett- Can't go wrong....should be the starting goalie for WSH as soon as Kolzig is gone. Very good goalie from the Q.
5) Miller- Buffalo has already said Miller is their future in the nets. Thats good to hear especially with Noronen and Biron ahead of you right now. Was given opening day start.
6) Tellqvist- Toronto's best goal prospect in a long long time. Very good goalie, took over Salo's starting job in the World Championships. Toronto made a mistake by not putting him behind Belfour to learn the game from one of the games best.
7) Toivonen- Very skilled goalie. Will have alot of time to develop with Raycroft playing ahead of him. Played well in WJC.
8) Ahonen- Top prospect in NJ, alot of praise from Lamerillo (SP) should be quite a good goalie. However will it be in NJ? And if not does he regress? Won't know yet.
9) Blackburn- Injuries have ben a problem this year but still think theres something magical about him....kind of fallen due to Lundqvist's play. Will be interesting to see how he turns out.
10) Bryzgalov- very good goalie but may get stuck behind Giggy for starting job.

Honorable Mention- Leclaire, Leighton, Leneveu, Stana, Niittymäki, Harding

I know many disagree but I really like the chances of my choices. There are many quality ones but some to me stick out better maybe it is also because I havnt seen any play ( Dubielewicz, Ehelechner, Ward, Patzold, Howard)

Also my rankings are also mainly used from HF rankings as i gave anything higher then 7.5 as possible franchise goaltender and anyone on the bubble as a 7 I chose which way to go due to stats, seeing them play etc.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Damnnnnn Howard sounds quite good look at those stats thats really impressive. What senior goalie's spot did he take and where does Howard play?

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
SpItFiReZ said:
Damnnnnn Howard sounds quite good look at those stats thats really impressive. What senior goalie's spot did he take and where does Howard play?
Howard plays for the University of Maine.

I believe it was senior Frank Doyle's starting job that he took over.

drafted by the Detroit in the second round of the 2003 entry draft, 64th overall....another great selection by Detriot.

Hendo2k

Feb 12, 2003
Palm Coast, FL
members.shaw.ca
JasonMacIsaac said:

i'm not saying montoya is bad however i do think Howard is better then him at this point in time.

to put up there age is a has little effect as well howard is 19. like som eother posters in here stated he hasnt let up an even strength goal since DEC 5th :teach:

how is that not the slightest bit dominating? he outduelled for the top spot there, has a GAA of 1.05!

McKenzie is right in my mind hes the best goalie in college... after his espn highlights the other day from the 63 saves he had should only further enhance that.

Maine doesnt have a great defense either in fact i'd rate Michigans signifigantly better. Jim was just another great pick up for Detroit. with all the Wings fans questioning that pick i doubt they are now.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
SpItFiReZ said:
10) Bryzgalov- very good goalie but may get stuck behind Giggy for starting job.

Still no love for Bryz. Im telling you the other night when he played he was pretty damn good, about as good a glove as you'll see. I hope he dominates the NHL next year as a backup and makes Giggy work for his starting job, in fact I hope he steals it right away. Giguere is majorly overpaid anyway. Bryz is obviously NHL caliber; he was calm and didnt waver after two goals scored against him, one was a weird deflection off of Skoula if I recall correctly (no chance for him).

If he doesnt get a chance in Anaheim then they better do the right thing and trade him to a team that needs a #1.

Dubielewicz - This guy is the ultimate wild-card. If he wasnt stuck behind Dipietro he might be starting for the Isles. I could see him being at worst a solid NHL backup, like Gerber. This coming from a Rangers fan :p

db23

Olivier Michaud has better AHL numbers than most of the names mentioned. He is younger than all AHL/NHL goalies except Toivonen. His NHL numbers are DEFINITELY better than any of the other goalies (0.00 GAA, 100 % SP). ;)

My ranking would be 1. Lehtonen, 2. Toivonen, 3. Michaud.

Most overrated - Leclaire and Emery.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
db23 said:
Olivier Michaud has better AHL numbers than most of the names mentioned. He is younger than all AHL/NHL goalies except Toivonen. His NHL numbers are DEFINITELY better than any of the other goalies (0.00 GAA, 100 % SP). ;)

My ranking would be 1. Lehtonen, 2. Toivonen, 3. Michaud.

Most overrated - Leclaire and Emery.
Michaud is not in the top 20 in my mind dont even think top 3 !
he's a backup goalie at best !
Halak and Davis are better than him !
btw toivonen is better than raycroft in my mind !
my top 3 =
1a- Lehtonen
1b- Fleury
2- Toivonen
3- Ouellet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad