Prospect Goaltending For Every Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Why isn't Cam Ward considered a potential number one goaltender when Josh Harding is? I've seen WHL watchers say the differance between the two in terms of potential is quite small. Not to mention the fact that Ward is likely to win his 2nd WHL goaltender of the year award this season. What about these stats doesn't lend itself to him being a potential number one?

2001-02 Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 46 30 11 4 2.27 0.911
2002-03 Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 57 40 13 3 2.10 0.920
2003-04 Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 56 31 16 8 2.05 0.926

I'm aware he has played behind some great defense, but those numbers and save percentage are just ridiculous.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Those are solid numbers....but like you said maybe its because of his awesome defense? A goalie can look amazing with even just good defense and if you got awesome defense then you should look real good...I've never seen him play personally maybe that's why, as well as the rankings on here.

Not bad talent it seems though...Talent Analysis

Ward is a goaltender with solid reflexes and lightning-quick glove. He is excellent at stopping shots down low and has dominated this year with one of the best teams in the CHL. Very consistent and has few weaknesses.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Well, I expected Ward's numbers to take a hit this year because the defense in front of him wasn't as good as it has been in the past. This blueline used to have both Woywitika and Phaneuf on the same top 6. Now Jeff is gone and Phaneuf is still there. Meeks is pretty good. However, they have two 1987's on their blueline now. Defense is the hardest position to learn and i'm sure these 87's have made their share of mistakes. Despite all this, Ward's numbers actually improved.

So far in the playoffs, Ward has a shutout and a 51 save win.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
wow alot of shots for a solid defense.... was it an off game by them? or just the other team that good last game?

Congrats to Ward.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
SpItFiReZ said:
wow alot of shots for a solid defense.... was it an off game by them? or just the other team that good last game?

Congrats to Ward.

The game went into double overtime, actually. The team they played against was the Calgary Hitmen. Andrew Ladd, Ryan Getzlaf, and Jeff Shultz

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
makes sense as to why there were so many then

Btw whose the goalie for Calgary? Brust?

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
If Schendier is still projected to go into the second round, I'm sure the Jackets will trade two of their thirds to move up into the second round to get him.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
It will be interesting to see what the Preds do regarding a goalie. Finley hasn't exactly panned out like planned but he might be turning the corner. In the past 3 months, his GAA is around 1.8 and his save percentage of around .94. And he had 10 straight wins at one point. Now, we are still working him in to handling a full-time starting load and he's atleast two years away from being an NHL backup, but he's right back on track, just two years later than usual.

That and the Preds appear to be really, really high on Teemu Lassila.

But that being said, neither are exactly locks at this stage and you can never have too much goaltender depth in your system. If someone falls to us at 15 or so that we feel is a top 10 talent in net, don't be suprised to see us take them. We have 3 needs: a sniper/faceoff winning center, a goalie, and a bruising Dman. We have all those in the system, but we have none of those readily available to our team. They are the types of players we will adress early in the draft. It'll just depend on which one we think is better.

Flyman

Jul 15, 2003
IMO, Niittymäki has all the tools to be a franchise goalie here in Philly. The three games he played for us in the big league, he was pretty impressive. Calm, efficient. He can be our future.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Come on..whoever said Ouellet was gonig to be Martin Biron lol...

He's still developing and getting bette runlike Biron who's progress died.

Last year in Portland behind a suck ass team he posted
7 shutouts, 2.40GAA and a .929Sv% in 48 games..

This year behind a even more suck ass team
9 shutouts, 1.99GAA and a .932Sv% in 47 games..

The kids shutouts in a 1/5th of his games lol.

He also played 6 games this year for the big club and in his first start he got a shutout. Giving him a total of 10 on the year in AHL and NHL action.

He has the 2nd most shutouts in the AHL behind only LaBarbera who plays on a very good team..Max's record is 12-27-8 Meaning 75% of the time he has to shut the other team out just to get a win. For him to be int he top 10 in pretty much everything top 5 in most is amazing playing for that horrible of a team..teh Pirates are lucky to score 1 goal a night. They have absolutely no offense.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
*takes a deep breath*

how id rank them
1. Mike Ayers
2. Mike Leighton
3. Corey Crawford
4. Mike Brodeur
5. Craig Andersson
6. Adam Munro
7. Adam Berkhoel
8. Tyson Kellerman

first of all, berkhoel and kellerman have no chance, espcially when theyre this far behind of the others. Every blackhawk fan has thier favorite goaltender prospect, and Ayers is mine. He was named the best collegiate goaltender last year, though his performance has slipped a bit since last year. I do think he can make a rebound and become our #1 of the future.
But if he doesnt...
Leighton has been strong, though his numbers don't show it (and who's numbers would on this blackhawk team?). He certainly has #1 potential, though I think he will be ousted by the numbers game.
Possibly by...
Corey Crawford has been putting up great numbers on his junior team, and has some of the best numbers in the Q. a big favorite of many blackhawks fans. He additionally has the potential to be a great #1, especially if he keeps developing at his current rate
And then there's...
Mike Brodeur. No relation. He was heralded as one of the best prospects at training camp this year. He has been named CHL player of the week before and has a GAA of 2.11. Could easily be a dark horse for #1
Craig Andersson never impressed me too much. He goes down too quickly, and always gives up a soft goal every game. Backup material.
I dont know what to say about munro. He had his game of glory with us not too long ago, but i dont think he could be any more than a backup goaltender. which is more than i thought of him at the beginning of the season

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
PrussianBlue said:
Why would Julien Ellis go ahead of Martin Houle?

Houle has it all over Ellis in every statistical category. Is there something that I'm not seeing, because I don't get to see Ellis play?

Don't know much about Schneider; not much info available on high school players here in the States.

WHL watchers, what's your take on Everett's Michael Wall?

PrussianBlue

Houle is in his 2nd year of eligibilty.

Ellis is a year younger which makes a difference.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
I agree....but Ahnonen is going to become a waste in a few years IMO...theres no need for him and he needs to start so only place is AHL right now. Now think about if he wanted to go back to his country :dunno: probably would be a good thing.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Lou doesn't hype up prospects for nothing, he called him the future franchise goaltender for a reason. Brodeur won't live forever. It is up to Ahonen to try to steal the job in 2 or 3 years.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
La-La-Laprise said:
Houle is in his 2nd year of eligibilty.

Ellis is a year younger which makes a difference.
For Goaltenders.....I dunno. You are probably right in scouts eyes but I think age of a goaltender is overated.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Lou doesn't but cmon Ahonen taking Brodeur's spot? I doubt it...well I personally can't see that at all

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Ahonen is a very very good goalie just not Brodeur...IMO best goalie in the game. I'd want Brodeur on my team before anyone except maybe Luongo.

Hendo2k

Feb 12, 2003
Palm Coast, FL
members.shaw.ca
Teemu08 said:
lol, for a second there, i thought you said 'percentage'

i think bob mckenzie called him the best goalie in college last night.... dont remember if it was bob or who but i heard it somewhere. he had a fanatical season for maine and after that career game the ceiling is unlimited imo.

the wings also have Stephan Liv who is highly regaurded as Swedens best netminder. and if finley was listed as franchise backstop how would u leave Liv off? i think Liv has been severely under rated in these rankings as well. then again most Red Wing prospects are :rolly:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->