Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Has anyone actually seen him this year? I had high hopes for Korshkov but last I remember, he was getting the usual KHL treatment as a young player getting very few minutes.

last I read here his mins/per game had gone up slightly on last season, his line was really cold to start the season like 1 assist in 10 games he now has 8 points in 22 games. so something line 7 points in 12 games since then

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I've watched some of Korshkovs games this year, and the truth is that his lack production was largely due to his own play, he wasn't very sharp and got more minutes than he did in previous seasons.

In saying that, I'm not worried about him at all and would go as far as guaranteeing he'll be an NHL player under Babcock. He has everything babcock loves, big player with great motor, plays in dirty areas is committed defensive and can skate well for a big man

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The issue (Hat's off to @Nithoniniel for educating me on this) is that of the ecological inference fallacy. Just because defensive players with limited production as a group generally don't have the tools to succeed at the next level doesn't mean that any given member of that group doesn't have said tools.

Good lord, can you make a simple concept any more needlessly difficult to comprehend? Yet I agree with it completely.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I would like to check out a couple of Marlies games this year to watch Liljegren specifically. How do you know if he is in the lineup on any particular day, given that the players seem to play 2 out of the 3 weekend games, with 1 game of rest?

I don't want to buy tickets to find out he is not in the lineup. Any Twitter account to follow who gives the projected lineup hours before the game?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I would like to check out a couple of Marlies games this year to watch Liljegren specifically. How do you know if he is in the lineup on any particular day, given that the players seem to play 2 out of the 3 weekend games, with 1 game of rest?

I don't want to buy tickets to find out he is not in the lineup. Any Twitter account to follow who gives the projected lineup hours before the game?

I don't know about hours, but Todd Crocker is the man you want to follow. @hockeycrock

Reactions: BayStreetBully

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well the Marlies don't play again until Saturday so is it safe to assume Liljegren will play then? I sure hope so, got free tickets last night for that game. :)

It's not just him I'm interested in, there's a whole bunch of guys I would love to see including Dermott, Johnsson, Aaltonen, Bracco and the GOAT.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Mark R is also a good follow as he watches the games, and provides updates on the games.
I asked him about his thoughts on Liljegren so far and here was his response.

Mark R
@MarkUkLeaf

Very impressed. His confidence with the puck is quite something and he's not afraid to make plays. He's been one of the better guys on PP.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Well the Marlies don't play again until Saturday so is it safe to assume Liljegren will play then? I sure hope so, got free tickets last night for that game. :)

It's not just him I'm interested in, there's a whole bunch of guys I would love to see including Dermott, Johnsson, Aaltonen, Bracco and the GOAT.
Will you be live posting?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Will you be live posting?

No, I never post on my phone. If anyone's interested I can post my impressions later (they will be nowhere near as sophisticated as what Nithoniniel does though).

I'm really looking forward to seeing Liljegren play!!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No, I never post on my phone. If anyone's interested I can post my impressions later (they will be nowhere near as sophisticated as what Nithoniniel does though).

I'm really looking forward to seeing Liljegren play!!
I always appreciate fresh opinions especially when they are first hand observations, so please post when you can.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yes... But, they also have a lot of players who are still doing school work
at the same time, too..

Junior A owners don't really care about the travel schedule of junior players or their school. It's a super tough for this kids to have the energy to do all the things that are thrust upon them, including living away from home.
Yea, it's worth it if you get an NHL career out of it, but the vast majority don't. Good for the ones who can advance their education with such a brutal hockey school.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I always appreciate fresh opinions especially when they are first hand observations, so please post when you can.

I'd be happy to, remind me if I forget. I may not get to it until Sunday, I plan to come home right after the game and start watching the Leafs game, a few beers should go along with that plan and who knows what else. :laugh:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'd be happy to, remind me if I forget. I may not get to it until Sunday, I plan to come home right after the game and start watching the Leafs game, a few beers should go along with that plan and who knows what else. :laugh:
I thought the beers were assumed?
Enjoy I will be working all day and night :help:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'd second Salt, I'd especially want your take on the defensive prospects

Dermott Liljegren Nielsen Valiev being the my major interested lies

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Bah work, the last couple of days have been 10+ hour work days for me. It's over for me soon though. :)

I'll do my best guys. :)

Reactions: saltming

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
last I read here his mins/per game had gone up slightly on last season, his line was really cold to start the season like 1 assist in 10 games he now has 8 points in 22 games. so something line 7 points in 12 games since then

Wish I could see more of this kid, from the little I have seen, and what I read, his potential is excellent. Where can I see more of him?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Good to hear about his recent play. It would be nice if he could come over and play for the Marlies so we could see him. I realise that's not going to happen but I'm of the belief that the KHL is a terrible league for young players. Yes I understand that the rare Zaitsev or Panarins do emerge from the KHL but generally, the Russians go with established players.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Good to hear about his recent play. It would be nice if he could come over and play for the Marlies so we could see him. I realise that's not going to happen but I'm of the belief that the KHL is a terrible league for young players. Yes I understand that the rare Zaitsev or Panarins do emerge from the KHL but generally, the Russians go with established players.

Panarin and Zaitsev prove your point, they werent considered good enough for NHL teams until they were 23 (just noticed Zaitsev is only 1 day older than panarin)

had they been given a shot ealrier their talent deserved they would of been more discovered in their draft years

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Very good read. The most impressive part to me, is there haven't been many misses. The guys they identify as quickly as any other organization, and really pursue, all seem to have at least NHL upside. Still early for a lot of them, but all of them seem like they'll be NHLers.

The agents talking about how great of organization they are now, also is pretty encouraging.

Between the draw of playing with an exciting young team, the fact the Marlies are just down the road, and the mgmt team we have in place, I expect the Leafs to be great at recruiting top European talent for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Maple Leafs

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Very good read. The most impressive part to me, is there haven't been many misses. The guys they identify as quickly as any other organization, and really pursue, all seem to have at least NHL upside. Still early for a lot of them, but all of them seem like they'll be NHLers.

The agents talking about how great of organization they are now, also is pretty encouraging.

Between the draw of playing with an exciting young team, the fact the Marlies are just down the road, and the mgmt team we have in place, I expect the Leafs to be great at recruiting top European talent for the foreseeable future.

Yes and No.

In areas where we are deep (Wing and D), I think we might find it difficult to recruit the "fringe" Euro free agents... however I would think the Panarins of the world would be enticed by us!

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Yes and No.

In areas where we are deep (Wing and D), I think we might find it difficult to recruit the "fringe" Euro free agents... however I would think the Panarins of the world would be enticed by us!

We would likely miss out on a few "fringe" guys, but if they know it's a top notch organization , and they'll be treated just as well playing for the Marlies as if they were in the NHL, they might jump at the chance to get the "TO" exposure.

Rosen and Borgman for example had to know they'd be facing competition from 3+ decent competitors to make the team this year.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The Toronto Maple Leafs very own Keaton Middleton has been picked to play for Team OHL on Monday, November 13th fin Sudbury, Ontario. Middleton arrived back in the OHL late this year and has only played four games for the Saginaw Spirit. In those games he’s added two assists to the score sheet.

Reactions: Bullseye
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad