Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Pospisil scored twice for the Solar Bears. Wonder how long before he's a Marlie regular.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Good. If he wants a chance to come over next year, he needs more than 4 points in 20 games, even in the KHL as a young guy.

Although there is no rush. He was injured last year and he is a big guy. I'd rather he develop properly over there first and then come over when he's pretty much a straight shot for the NHL. Shouldn't be any reason to put him in the AHL for any long stretch (unless he really struggles to move to NA ice, which he shouldn't given his size). Keep him in the KHL or NHL. We keep his rights until he's 27.

His ceiling is very high assuming he develops properly.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Good. If he wants a chance to come over next year, he needs more than 4 points in 20 games, even in the KHL as a young guy.

Although there is no rush. He was injured last year and he is a big guy. I'd rather he develop properly over there first and then come over when he's pretty much a straight shot for the NHL. Shouldn't be any reason to put him in the AHL for any long stretch (unless he really struggles to move to NA ice, which he shouldn't given his size). Keep him in the KHL or NHL. We keep his rights until he's 27.
I wouldn't be shocked if he racked up points in the NHL or AHL depending on the role he gets though

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Why didn't Kapanen make the Leafs this year? I thought he proved himself during the playoffs

No room. I like having some veteran forwards around to balance our roster.

When it's time to let some older players go as they get to UFA, Kapanen and others will be important to keep playing above their ELC salary to keep the Maple Leaf machine going. Kapanen's time will come.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Why didn't Kapanen make the Leafs this year? I thought he proved himself during the playoffs

Lack of room. Pretty sure upper management knows JVR and Bozak will be either traded or not resigned, thus opening up a wing spot for Kapanen and they also can see how good Nylander is doing possession wise and defensively, so the shuffle up from the current lines to Matthews-Marner and Nylander-Kapanen as our top 6 will be used accordingly next season.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Anybody watched Flint Firebirds games so far this season? Nic Mattinen who only had all of 8 points in 66 games last season already has 7 points in 8 games so far this season.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
It's crazy that we still have a pretty solid prospect pool despite having like ten players graduate last season...

I have high hopes for Liljegren, Dermott, Kapanen and Grundstrom, and guys like Rasanen, Nielsen, Korshkov, Woll etc aren't bad either.

Plus, we have two 2nd round picks for the 2018 draft. I am in awe of what Shanny and co. have been able to accomplish in such a short time.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
What seems to have changed regarding AHL streams? I used to find them quite easily last year, now days I can't seem to find a single one.

Korshkov has a goal today. He finally seems to be picking it up after a really slow start.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Rychel Mueller Timashov
Marchment Gauthier Johnsson
Clune Smith Bracco
Greening Brooks Moore

Dermott Loverde
Valiev Holl
Nielsen Paliotta

Kaskisuo

Kapanen and Liljegren not playing which was expected.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Rychel Mueller Timashov
Clune Smith Bracco
Greening Brooks Moore

Dermott Loverde
Valiev Holl
Nielsen Paliotta

Kaskisuo

Makes sense with the 3 in 3 but it still sucks.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Rychel Mueller Timashov
Clune Smith Bracco
Greening Brooks Moore

Dermott Loverde
Valiev Holl
Nielsen Paliotta

Kaskisuo

How has Paliotta been? Am hoping he can show something and provide organizational depth on defence.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Marlies win 2-1

Smith and Marchment score, Bracco, Goat, Valiev with apples. Kaskisuo 25 saves.

FriendlyGiant

Jul 28, 2006
I watched a little of the Flint vs Kitchener Rangers game. I thought Mattinen looked pretty good for Flint. They were playing him a lot and he looked very comfortable out there. I wouldn't call him dominant, but he certainly was very confident and helped to control the play for Flint. To my eyes he was clearly Flint's best defenceman. Not sure how that will translate to the pros. I think he's still very much a project.

Gordeev didn't impress me much, but he's still very young.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Anybody watched Flint Firebirds games so far this season? Nic Mattinen who only had all of 8 points in 66 games last season already has 7 points in 8 games so far this season.

I've seen highlights. He's definitely taken himself into Desrocher territory where he deserves consideration for some sort of ELC or AHL deal (albeit he'll likely go for an OA year before he takes that), but he's still the 5 year project he was when the Leafs drafted him. If he goes close to a PPG like he is right now, his skating continues to improve and he continues to be a good shutdown guy like he was in London but against better competition, then it would be tough for the Leafs to pass up on a 6'5" RD with an NHL caliber shot.

That trade to Flint was the best thing to happen to his development. London is a tire fire right now (but if you look at the amount of guys they lost, you'd see why), and he wouldn't even get to play all of the PP and PK minutes he's getting right now in Flint.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
How has Paliotta been? Am hoping he can show something and provide organizational depth on defence.

He's rarely played. Right now he looks like at best a type of guy who could replace Holl down the line. He had some bottom 4 potential out of the NCAA, but has not developed right. He is only 24, but it would take a lot of development to get him past being a bottom 4 AHL RD.

Reactions: Bullseye

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Just realized Gauthier played and got an assist. Wasn't he not expected to come back before November? A few weeks early and he got an assist in his first game back. Not bad. Marlies have too many forwards again though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Pospisil scored twice for the Solar Bears. Wonder how long before he's a Marlie regular.

Probably a long time, unless injuries. Marlies have 16 forwards, plus guys like Piccinich, Dupuy, Novak and Bobylev in the AHL who could earn a call up before him too. I wouldn't call Dupuy or Novak up before him, but the other two are just as much prospects as he is, and Piccinich is a two-way guy who just scored a game winner. Considering these guys will probably play 4th line if they make it to the AHL this year, they could want Piccinich over Pospisil.

For Pospisil and Bobylev, it's going to be a long term game if they want to keep them that long when the Leafs constantly have good prospects coming through.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->