Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I like yours but I think Babcock will want to insulate Nylander, so I'd flip flip Johnsson and Marleau .

but then can babcock trust Kadri's line as the shutdown line? which if he cant puts back onto Matthews line for the toughest matchups which will limit him a little bit. Johnsson and Marner aren't JVR defensively but they aren't great at least not yet. But then again Kapanen and hyman can help Matthews with the tougher matchups and kapanen has skill to go with it

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
but then can babcock trust Kadri's line as the shutdown line? which if he cant puts back onto Matthews line for the toughest matchups which will limit him a little bit. Johnsson and Marner aren't JVR defensively but they aren't great at least not yet. But then again Kapanen and hyman can help Matthews with the tougher matchups and kapanen has skill to go with it

Agreed, but Kadri is becoming a vet who can shield some youth. Their strength of defense will be their push back in the offensive zone .I just like having a vet present on all lines.

Didn't Babcock also say he wanted to not have to match lines and just rotate them.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
My tweaks
Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Brown
Leivo-Glendenning-Komarov
Aaltonen-Martin

I like what you came up with but I think Nylander and Brown have history from the Marlies with Leivo and I like his size with them. Johnsson is gonna need a bit of time to get Babcockitized plus he's good defensively and Babs wants all his players to have that initiation on the 4th line. Bozak over Glen. Come back cheap Bozie.

Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Leivo -Nylander-Brown
Johnsson-Bozak-Komarov
Aaltonen-Martin

Last edited:

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I need help, we traded the 24th pick to Philly, we then traded the 29th pick to Columbus. What players did we end up with after these traded. :help: :help:

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Another question for the many Leaf Legends on board, if you look at our North American draft picks, this includes the CHL and U.S college not the Marlies or Europe, do we as a Team have the weakest player personnel in N/A

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I need help, we traded the 24th pick to Philly, we then traded the 29th pick to Columbus. What players did we end up with after these traded. :help: :help:
Dermott, Bracco, Dzierkals.

I believe Dermott and Bracco will be NHLers.
Another question for the many Leaf Legends on board, if you look at our North American draft picks, this includes the CHL and U.S college not the Marlies or Europe, do we as a Team have the weakest player personnel in N/A
No idea how the amateur prospects of all 30 teams are performing. Why not compare the drafting or the prospect pool with the rest of the league instead of whatever it is you are doing.

Reactions: Menzinger

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
A top 4 d man in Dermott, and Bracco who has been very good in the AHL.
Dzierkals is doing well in the ECHL.
So seems like we did quite well

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
I like what you came up with but I think Nylander and Brown have history from the Marlies with Leivo and I like his size with them. Johnsson is gonna need a bit of time to get Babcockitized plus he's good defensively and Babs wants all his players to have that initiation on the 4th line. Bozak over Glen. Come back cheap Bozie.

Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Leivo -Nylander-Brown
Johnsson-Bozak-Komarov
Aaltonen-Martin
Let’s get crazy.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Kovalchuck-Tavares-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnson-Aaltonen-Brown
Leivo, Martin

Reactions: supermann_98

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

The 24th got us 29th + 61st (Bracco)
Then we traded the 29th for 34th (Dermott) + 68th (Dzierkals)

v3SakR3.png

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Our center depth is fine, is it ideal no. But, as long as you have a high-end top 2 in the NHL who can be long term pieces you are fine. Do people not remember Bozak and Tim Connolly as our top 2? Or whatever garbage Montreal and Van are putting out right now? Most teams would kill to have a top 2 of Matthews and Kadri at the expense of whatever organizational depth people crave.

Plus, you don’t draft in the 20s to solve immediate issues. Our number 3 center spot will need to be solved by either Nylander or a UFA, because whoever we draft isn’t likely to be ready before 2020/21, if they are ever ready. It’s why you always go with who is at the top of your board.

Reactions: Smif and Bullseye

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Timashov - Aaltonen - Bracco
Greening - Mueller - Smith
Marchment - Gauthier - Moore
Rychel - Dupuy - Clune

Borgman - Marincin
Valiev - Liljegren
Nielsen - Rosen

Pickard

Johnsson not playing today is kind of interesting. Either they are resting him or is maybe about to be called up or something else.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
Haven't followed the marlies this year. Lilly played 26 games. Did he miss games solely due to wjc? Or has he had injuries?

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009
Hey guys I’ve been trying to find Aaltonen’s faceoff stats which I can’t seem to find. Does anyone know what his faceoff % is? Also anyone who watches a lot of marlies games, do you think he’s ready for next year?

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Is Garret Sparks an NHL goalie? posting incredible numbers this season, albeit on a very good Toronto Marlies team. Is it time he becomes the Leafs backup with eyes on the starting job?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Who do you guys think is better going into next season, Andreas Johnsson or Josh Leivo? Lets say they were fighting for a spot in the top 9 and only one of them could take it, who do you think does?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Who do you guys think is better going into next season, Andreas Johnsson or Josh Leivo? Lets say they were fighting for a spot in the top 9 and only one of them could take it, who do you think does?

We have more openings at LW so Leivo. Only chance Johnsson plays up in the lineup is (barring any major changes) if Kapanen slides over to the left side, Nylander moves to C..or if Johnsson himself plays the left side.

Overall, Johnsson's road will be a bit tougher, and he'll also have to outplay Johnsson for that spot....Babcock can pretty stubborn about the leash he gives certain players. Unfortunately (or not) for Leivo, his leash is likely, extremely short compared to guys like Komarov, Martin, Polak, etc.

I mean, last year, Leivo was extremely good for a decent stretch on that 4th line and he still couldn't buy Martin's spot secondary to Martin's leash...and the fact he couldn't play on the PK/a speed game. There's not much more he could have done last year with his minutes, usage, IMO (to be fair, his injury also may have contributed to it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad