Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It's a great question Ulf, similar to that of slow feet. Can they learn to overcome their deficiencies at 19 or 20 years old. Hopefully Carlo is model of what Gord could become. You're right that prospects generally show their talents by this point if they have it. Gordeev has show mobility from draft day onward but can he learn to make decisions under pressure and not be a Marincin clone? Time will tell. Later picks are always a crap shoot.

Can Rasanen become quicker might be an even bigger organizational question?
On Rasanen. I think he will become faster as he gets stronger. Just the natural progression of growing into a body that size

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
On Rasanen. I think he will become faster as he gets stronger. Just the natural progression of growing into a body that size

It helps to have another guy that size to learn from. Carlo has Chara for instance. How many other huge d-men turn out? Not sure why Hunter likes them so much. Give me more Dermott and less Marincin. Chara & Hedman are unusual.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It helps to have another guy that size to learn from. Carlo has Chara for instance. How many other huge d-men turn out? Not sure why Hunter likes them so much. Give me more Dermott and less Marincin. Chara & Hedman are unusual.
Obviously he has them bpa. I like Rasanen a lot actually and if he hits that will be bi.... hu.... very good for us.
Maybe we will show him Marincin footage and say, don't do this haha
Other than that I'm going to give the belfry team confidence on developing him. I believe they work with chara or have worked with chara. I'm not sure though

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Obviously he has them bpa. I like Rasanen a lot actually and if he hits that will be bi.... hu.... very good for us.
Maybe we will show him Marincin footage and say, don't do this haha
Other than that I'm going to give the belfry team confidence on developing him. I believe they work with chara or have worked with chara. I'm not sure though

Haven't heard the Belfry/Chara link before but Darryl works with the best. I'm hoping Darryl has some pull with Tavares who regularly works with him here in St. Catharines :nod:

Separate thought: Ulf's question about IQ is interesting when you think about if/how Nielsen is improving defensively with the Marlies over his 1st couple years.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Haven't heard the Belfry/Chara link before but Darryl works with the best. I'm hoping Darryl has some pull with Tavares who regularly works with him here in St. Catharines :nod:

Separate thought: Ulf's question about IQ is interesting when you think about if/how Nielsen is improving defensively with the Marlies over his 1st couple years.

He's better than he used to be but Nielsen still frightens the **** out of me when he's defending

Bad foot-speed mixed with questionable defensive IQ isn't a great blend

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Ya I am probably misremembering about chara and belfry

Nielsen will always be handicapped by his feet though but yes his defensive IQ is better than what it was when he started. It would be interesting to see how good he could be if his feet were better

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Might be splitting hairs but players can and do continue learning the game. Is that IQ? Hockey smarts? Especially at the junior level when there is so much to learn and develop.
That said I think there is a certain level and depth of understanding that people in general seem capable of and I would consider that IQ but it's too early to judge for me as I have not seen or followed him at all but I'm always hesitant to say a player has low IQ at that level if he has so much talent and skill as I believe developing those skills requires IQ as you have to learn the right way and repeat to develop muscle memory
Yes, I would say that HIQ is more about how you see the game on the ice, process what you see and act on the information.
The other things you talk about are fundamentals. Which can be taught. It's more about discipline and confidence.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Ya I am probably misremembering about chara and belfry

Nielsen will always be handicapped by his feet though but yes his defensive IQ is better than what it was when he started. It would be interesting to see how good he could be if his feet were better

maybe he needs unconventional training like marchment. he started pretty late for skating and hockey.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Gordeev can skate. He's a dark horse. He needs physical maturity and hockey IQ to go with some of the offensive talents he's showing. He's my fav. of all the big men. Who knows.

prefer kasanen, and if he gets his head together, greenway.

i'd put gordeev over mattinen because of skating and middleton due to offense. he seems to move his feet better than gauthier, lol.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Marlies being outshot 12-2 by Laval. Are they going to get punched out by two doormats in a row?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Marlies being outshot 12-2 by Laval. Are they going to get punched out by two doormats in a row?

Now 1-1. Aaltonen Goal (9 pts last 6 games), Johnsson assist (14 pts last 8 games). These two should be on the Leafs next year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marlies tie up the game in the 3rd 2-2
Rychel with the goal

Liljegren credited with a secondary assist

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
4-2. Marlies Win. Another goal for Aaltonen and EN goal + assist for Johnsson! Those two have developed quite the chemistry. Could be 2/3 of the Leafs 3rd line next year at this rate. Question is, who would slot in on the other wing?

Johnnson now has 17 points in his last 8 games (6 goals 11 assists)!

Last edited:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Johnsson 1 g 2 a for another 3 pts night. Kid needs to up with the big club.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Johnsson's 8 game point streak with 17 points is ridiculous. Move Leivo and call him up or waive Moore, put Komarov at center and then call him up.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Marlies come back like champs 4-2. Johnsson now a ppg. Time to move him up.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
true but skating might be the only factor keeping Marchment out of the nhl

Probably. Doesn't look bad, but he's 4th line at best and if the Leafs think Leivo and Martin are too slow, then Marchment has practically no chance.

It's fine. We need guys like him to provide some size for the AHL. If the Leafs give him nice enough AHL contracts, then he may like being here like Clune likes to be here. Otherwise, not too hard to find someone just like him on an AHL deal every year.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Probably. Doesn't look bad, but he's 4th line at best and if the Leafs think Leivo and Martin are too slow, then Marchment has practically no chance.

It's fine. We need guys like him to provide some size for the AHL. If the Leafs give him nice enough AHL contracts, then he may like being here like Clune likes to be here. Otherwise, not too hard to find someone just like him on an AHL deal every year.
Ya I would like to see h8m stick with the Marlies. It's amazing how far he has come in such a short time so I would really like yo see him make the bog show somehow. Can't helping route for him with all the work he has put in

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Johnsson is on a tear! Wow, he's really turning into a legit option.. Also I applaud the board, Lil actually got a point and nobody said he should be with the big club, congrats.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Johnsson is on a tear! Wow, he's really turning into a legit option.. Also I applaud the board, Lil actually got a point and nobody said he should be with the big club, congrats.
:facepalm:
No need to make that last sentence.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Johnsson is on absolute fire.

I'd love to see him get a few games in before the deadline to see if it translates. Could maybe allow for a JVR trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad