Prospect and European Free Agent Signings

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
any ideas on if Sami Lepisto will be signed by the Caps soon?

Just speculation at this point, Lepisto's rights don't expire until June 2008. There was mention in the Finnish press at the end of his season that it is a possibility he would come over to NA for the 07-08 season and he has said in the past that he would be interested (that was before he missed the first part of this season with the broken collarbone). He attended the Caps prospect dev camp last summer.

The list posted above is accurate for the Washington Capitals, to the best of my knowledge, Valdix is the only player with rights expiring this summer that the Caps have not signed (other than Backstrom and the pending contract).

oh, and FWIW, for the Caps signed prospect, it is Patrick McNeill, not MacNeil.

Mtl6

May 21, 2004
Montreal - Mathieu Carle, Carey Price

And hopefully Sergei Kostitsyn soon. :)

Actually, The habs also signed Matt D'Agostini and Mathieu Aubin from the 2005 draft. They were signed last summer and played in the AHL since the were born in 1986.

Give'em Hell!

Jan 2, 2005
Matawan
As far as I can tell, these are the players that need to be signed by June 1. Any mistakes?

* Subject to Russia signing IIHF transfer agreement, blah, blah, blah.

NJ

Arseny Bondarev *
Alexander Sundstrom

Devils would also need to sign Aleksandr Mikhailishin and Valery Klimov

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Actually, The habs also signed Matt D'Agostini and Mathieu Aubin from the 2005 draft. They were signed last summer and played in the AHL since the were born in 1986.

Why do you bother posting those 2 signings? It just makes one think of posting the Jordan Stall signing with Pittsburg and Phil Kessel with Boston. :shakehead

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Kindl is signed until 2010 and Grigs is signed until 2008. Wings also signed Mursak and Emmerton this year. Of the guys that are unsigned probably only Ryno will be signed. One of May or Stamler might have a chance.

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
I believe Minnesota has to sign AJ Thelen who was drafted 12th overall, there is actually talk that he wont be resigned and will reenter the draft because the wild are too disapointed of his developement

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I believe Minnesota has to sign AJ Thelen who was drafted 12th overall, there is actually talk that he wont be resigned and will reenter the draft because the wild are too disapointed of his developement

I see an '86 birth date for him. Is he too old for the draft?

I think this has been covered in another thread but I'm not sure this particular question was answered. But maybe I missed something...

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Then why does NJ have to sign Sundstrom who was drafted in 05? is it due to no transfer with Russia?

to follow-up on another response to this: crazy as it may appear on face value, because of the new CBA, European players drafted in 05 had to be signed a year before players drafted in 04. Here are the details about the European picks drafted old and new CBA: Drafted in or prior to June 2002: June 1, 2006 (obviously, this was last summer, just posting to give a complete answer to the question)

European picks:
Drafted 2003: June 1, 2007
Drafted 2004: June 1, 2008

starting with 05 same as CHL picks (note there is a difference/an exception for players that leave the CHL early, etc.):
Drafted 2005: June 1, 2007
Drafted 2006: June 1, 2008
Drafted 2007: June 1, 2009

College Players: August 15 year they graduate or August 15 of what would have been their graduating year

And IMO not worth listing the pre new CBA Russian draft picks in terms of need to be signed date, since there is no date right now with the lack of participation in the IIHF agreement, etc., teams still hold those players rights as long as they are still on the 90 player list, etc.

Someone please provide a refresher, what is the current status regarding Russians picked in 2005 and later (used to know this, but can't find the details right now) - same as CHL and European picks selected in 05 and later or same as Russians selected in 04 and earlier?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->