Pronger the Idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.am.ca

Saying "we'll see what happens to those who cross" what is he trying to do threaten the guys who get paid little?

This is why i could care less about no season. All the jackasses that make the big bucks are getting angry at the guys who get paid little but make up most of the roster on teams that want to cross so they can make a living. They don't have the 6 mill contracts to help them survive thru this or part ownership of a damn hockey team.

Pronger should shut his mouth and get his head out of his ass, see how the NHL really is.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/StLouis/2004/10/22/680957.html

So what if these guys want to play as replacement players. The only players that the NHLPA is representing is the stars, not the average plugger or checking player. Stupid star players opening their mouths thinking that they run the league, jus cuz some players want to play not for the money but for the sake of enjoyment, these jackasses will try to threaten them in the locker room or wherever.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Not sure what the difference is between replacement players taking their jobs, and them taking jobs away from guys in Europe...

When someone figures that out, let me know.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
dawgbone said:
Not sure what the difference is between replacement players taking their jobs, and them taking jobs away from guys in Europe...

When someone figures that out, let me know.

The difference is huge.

In one case you're talking about what basically amounts to scab players (even though it is a lockout, not a strike... they are locked out because of their collective refusal, so it is the same concept). In the other case you're talking about players who go to a league and earn a roster spot over less talented players.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Rob Paxon said:
The difference is huge.

In one case you're talking about what basically amounts to scab players (even though it is a lockout, not a strike... they are locked out because of their collective refusal, so it is the same concept). In the other case you're talking about players who go to a league and earn a roster spot over less talented players.

Aren't the scab players just going to a league where there is an opportunity to try out and make a team?

Hey, I'd fully agree with you if everyone was pulling a Forsberg and commited to playing the full season in Europe.

But if the NHLers can't handle other players taking their jobs, should they really be going and taking the jobs of those other players... and threatening them to boot?

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
And this lockout's early favorite for the "Chelly"... Chris Pronger!

Not nearly as bad as implying the commish's life is in danger, but it's early in the lockout.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
The difference is obvious.

Any players who let the owners screw them over because they "just want to play hockey" deserve to be shunned.

I.am.ca

If the NHL was going to go through the replacement player route. I think it might be more exciting than having the season.

Why?

You have 30 teams with players that want to play Hockey no matter what salary and are going to give it their all game in game out. I would much rather watch that than some of these jerks who think the world revovles around them and their 11mill contract.

Pronger should focus on trying to shut his mouth and get his team a Stanley Cup, cuz Mr Superstar can't even get that done with his huge ass contract so i guess he should shut his mouth and realize that some of the pluggers that might want to play as a replacement player are the types of players that come in handy during playoffs.

As for the European league, exactly some of the stars are taking jobs away from the Euro players that now have no place to play. Its all a dumb cycle.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Lexicon Devil said:

Any players who let the owners screw them over because they "just want to play hockey" deserve to be shunned.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

We have ourselves a winner. How people have turned against the players so bad is beyond me.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
You have 30 teams with players that want to play Hockey no matter what salary and are going to give it their all game in game out.

Sounds like the 1992-93 Sens.... sorry, I'll take the 2004 version any day of the week.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Lexicon Devil said:

Can you explain how the owners would be "screwing them over"? By wanting a partnership that will keep them millionaires? You may want to check your choice of words.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Lexicon Devil said:

Ah yes, because most of the would-be replacement players have been making tonnes of money, either in Europe or leagues like the AHL most of their lives.

Sorry man. If I am a guy who has never made an NHL paycheque, I'm darn sure that I am going to cross the line, especially if I lost my job over in Europe because of one of them.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
NataSatan666 said:
:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

We have ourselves a winner. How people have turned against the players so bad is beyond me.

By threating other players who may be replacements, and by hypocritically playing in other leagues. "I'll play in your league, but if you play in mine I'll kick your ass". If Mr. NHL goes to play in Europe, and Mr. Europe gets cut, does Mr. Europe get in **** if he comes to be a replacement in the NHL?

I read that Iginla, Smyth, Smith and Laraque were all skating together and were going to hook up with some other players to rent ice time to keep their skills sharp. That I'll respect.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I.am.ca said:
If the NHL was going to go through the replacement player route. I think it might be more exciting than having the season.

Why?

You have 30 teams with players that want to play Hockey no matter what salary and are going to give it their all game in game out.

BUHAHAHAHAHA! Why do think guys like Lonny Boo-hoo-hoo-nos aren't in the NHL to begin with? Because they lack the heart, that's why.
:eek:

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
Can you explain how the owners would be "screwing them over"? By wanting a partnership that will keep them millionaires? You may want to check your choice of words.

So because they'd remain millionaires it negates the fact that they'd be given the extreme raw end of the deal?

How much money the players make is irrelevant. I'm sick of people stating that they should just be happy because they make a lot of money. You know what the difference between the players and the owners is? We know how much money the players are hauling in every year - nobody has any idea the financial situation of the owners. Of course, we should all just believe them when they make ridiculous statements like "we'd lose less money if we didn't play this year." Right...

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
Ah yes, because most of the would-be replacement players have been making tonnes of money, either in Europe or leagues like the AHL most of their lives.

Sorry man. If I am a guy who has never made an NHL paycheque, I'm darn sure that I am going to cross the line, especially if I lost my job over in Europe because of one of them.

When Pronger referred to guys "crossing", it seemed to me that he was referring to current NHLers (be they 4th-liners or stars) returning the NHL. I didn't read into it that he was threatening the scrubs who would never have a shot at the NHL otherwise.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Lexicon Devil said:
So because they'd remain millionaires it negates the fact that they'd be given the extreme raw end of the deal?

How much money the players make is irrelevant. I'm sick of people stating that they should just be happy because they make a lot of money. You know what the difference between the players and the owners is? We know how much money the players are hauling in every year - nobody has any idea the financial situation of the owners. Of course, we should all just believe them when they make ridiculous statements like "we'd lose less money if we didn't play this year." Right...

The PA obviously beleives them, which is why they refuse(d) to go over the books themselves, and refuse(d) to engage in any dialogue with Levitt concerning his report.

When your player costs are over 60% of your revenues (which alot of teams are probably near), and you also have to pay for things like chartered flights, hotels, per diems, etc... it's pretty easy to see how quickly those costs add up.

Are all teams losing less money during the lockout? No, of course not. Are teams losing less money now (this season) than they will for the next few years (combined) without better cost certainty?

They certainly are.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Lexicon Devil said:
When Pronger referred to guys "crossing", it seemed to me that he was referring to current NHLers (be they 4th-liners or stars) returning the NHL. I didn't read into it that he was threatening the scrubs who would never have a shot at the NHL otherwise.

Well we really don't know for sure do we?

It seems to me like he is talking about anyone.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Lexicon Devil said:

Screw the owners, they are just as guilty for this whole mess...

Lexicon Devil said:

If your job in Europe was taken by one of these locked out players, wouldn't you go wherever you could learn a living?

All non-union members who cross the line are labeled scabs from my experence.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Lexicon Devil said:
Sorry man. I dont see it as an extreme raw end of the deal. Can you explain what is so horribly wrong with it? You make it sound like they would be working in a sweatshop.

This is more about ego than about livelyhood. On both sides.

Phanuthier*

Well considering the lower paid guys (if making 1 million is lower paid, then dang I wish I was a lower paid guy) are the ones that stand to lose the most, while the ones that stand to gain the most make up 10% of the league... I'd tell Pronger to #%^$ off and go some tissues with his $10 million a year.

If I'm someone like Chris Clark (for example), I'm looking at how much I stand to lose this year and how much I stand to lose in the future (as far as minor leaguers and junior players who have stayed fresh) vs. how much I have to gain (if any) for my holdout.

I'll bet there are 10 times as many Chris Clark's out there as there is Whiner Chris.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Lexicon Devil said:
He was referring to anyone crossing the line helping the NHL resume, but if it was a scrub who never would have had a shot otherwise, I guess he wouldnt have to worry about seeing them in the lockerroom afterwords. The scrub would be back to the minors/Eurpoe by then anyways.

But then again, wasnt the current NHL MVP out of the league a few years ago because he wasnt good enough (cut by Calgary I believe)? I wonder if some players would cross, hoping to make it in the NHL. This could be their one chance to get noticed, and hopefully stick when (if) the league gets back to normal. What would they have to lose? If they stay in the league, they get shunned by the PA, but at least theyre in the NHL. If they dont make it, they are back where they would have been anyways. Sorta win / sorta win in my opinion.

But is it really "crossing the line" if theres no line to cross because the players are all playing elsewhere?

HughJass*

Bicycle Repairman said:
And what happens when the NHLPA decertifies Chris Clark's agent and he can't represent his other clients?

I've been sick of your act for about a couple of weeks now. You talk a good game, then you stoop to silly drivel.

Just shut the hell up.

If the players are soooo solid, why are they screwing others by taking their spots on European squads and on AHL rosters? Forget about the lower end players finally speaking up, the McAmmond, Fedoruk, and other AHL farce signings I may have missed have sealed the deal for me: the NHLPA will cave at the negotiating table. It may not be a hard cap, but they will be giving up some other luxuries they won in '94. Good riddance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
WHurricane16 said:
If the players are soooo solid, why are they screwing others by taking their spots on European squads and on AHL rosters?
Because they're not filling jobs in a labour dispute, that's why.

Look, there's no shame if you don't know the answer to a question. That's what the board is here for. Read and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->