Pronger calls upon NHL, union to re-open labour talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
The Rangers don't have to even make Iginla an offer to move him out of CGY. All they need to do is pay a handful of mediocre RFAs more than they deserve, and Iginla can bring in comparables to arbitration and price himself right into free agency. I think this has been the tactic all along, given Sather's distaste for small-market teams. :joker:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
DementedReality said:
The fact is, currently NO ONE WILL TRY and sign him. Under a capped CBA with a lower UFA, the Flames may WANT to pay him 8m, but maybe wont be able to even pay him 5m and any team with enough cap room will have access to signing Iginla. This is a protection CGY currently has in today's CBA and probably wont have in a capped NHL.

dr
You didn’t answer his question. Go back and read what you replied to.

He asked how a small market team will be screwed under a cap, when the big market teams have to adhere to the same cap number. Every team would be screwed equally, wouldn’t they? You can argue there will be more lateral player shuffling, but under a cap it wouldn’t have anything to do with small market / big market.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Cawz said:
You didn’t answer his question. Go back and read what you replied to.

He asked how a small market team will be screwed under a cap, when the big market teams have to adhere to the same cap number. Every team would be screwed equally, wouldn’t they? You can argue there will be more lateral player shuffling, but under a cap it wouldn’t have anything to do with small market / big market.

Under a cap a big market team would be able to pay cap penalty. Say Toronto has 3 million left in salaries and Calgary has 3 million as well. If we assume that the UFA age has been lowered to where it makes an Iginla a free agent and there is a dollar for dollar tax above the cap (not bloody likely in my opinion), which team do you think has the financial wherewithal to pay the salary plus the penalty if they were to offer him 6-8 million? IMO, all a cap will do is lower salaries for mid level players which happen to be the majority of the NHL. Sakic, Sundin, Iginla, Forsberg et al will still get their millions upon millions while lines 2-4 will take a pay cut.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
There's a great editorial in this month's Hockey News discussing replacement players, or "scabs." The article did a fine job in pointing out that if players like Pronger are truly committed to a lockout, they should not be playing. Otherwise, they cannot criticize or threaten players who would act as replacement players. As the article points out, players like Jay Henderson or Dean McCammond are taking the jobs of minor leaguers in the AHL. Joe Thornton and Dany Heatley are taking the jobs of Swiss players. Even though they aren't acting as replacement players for the NHL, they are still acting as replacement players elsewhere.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
shakes said:
Under a cap a big market team would be able to pay cap penalty. Say Toronto has 3 million left in salaries and Calgary has 3 million as well. If we assume that the UFA age has been lowered to where it makes an Iginla a free agent and there is a dollar for dollar tax above the cap (not bloody likely in my opinion), which team do you think has the financial wherewithal to pay the salary plus the penalty if they were to offer him 6-8 million? IMO, all a cap will do is lower salaries for mid level players which happen to be the majority of the NHL. Sakic, Sundin, Iginla, Forsberg et al will still get their millions upon millions while lines 2-4 will take a pay cut.

sure if it's a soft cap with luxury tax maybe, but who's to say that TOR won't just stay even with the cap and put more $$ in the owners pockets rather than pay a huge penalty. and as i said in my last post, all salaries across the board will be down sigificantly, so it's not very likely that iginla would get 6 - 8 mil... 6 maybe, 8 no way.

the way i see it, salaries across the board will drop, not just the midlevel players, obviously said players would speak up and be very unpleased if this is the way things were to go, and being the majority of the NHL they will be heard, quite frankly the first salaries we'll see come down IMO WILL be the players with the high 7 and 8 figure salaries, and when the majority of the players get affected it won't be nearly as hard as you seem to think it would be on them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->