Pronger calls upon NHL, union to re-open labour talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

degroat*

Neither Gretzky or Mario can say anything without getting fined.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
The owner's take-it-or-leave-it approach? I only agree that that revenue and expenses need to be tied together and how ever that could be done is fine. I just don't understand how he can say the owners approach is take it or leave it. If thats the case then doesn't it work in reverse for the NHLPA? No cap take it or leave it. We need another 20-30 players come out of the wood works to get this thing maybe back to the table. The other report I saw where the union was looking to get the players together in Toronto in maybe a month(forgot where I saw it), doesn't seem to me that they are ready to negotiate either. The Flyer owner with his comments just don't help either calling Goodenow a liar. This blame thing back and forth is just really starting to tick me off.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
"Even if you're not going to talk to the other guy, why not put forward some ideas you have so the public can see them and can say, 'These guys are putting forward an effort.' "

maybe because the union will be reemed in the public's eye yet again if they put forward a wishful thinking/no hope in hell proposal that the union has been working towards that doesn't tie revenue and expenses...come on PA, try your best, it still won't matter because whatever the owners say is a "cap" and you'll have "none of it"

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
another part of this article quotes pronger as saying he sees the end of his days in St. Louis

"Dreger: Do you at times question your future with the Blues, or do you think you have reason to question your future?

Pronger: "I would say so yeah, I would think after this CBA is settled, when it's all said and done, I'll be unrestricted. You know when I was a restricted free agent I was able to talk to a few teams a gauge their interest and see where I fit into the mix with those teams that I spoke with."

degroat*

Needless to say, those comments have Blue fans quite concerned. Chances are that this will be the beginning of the end for Pronger as a Blue. St Louis fans are quite sensitive to this sort of thing and when an athlete (on any of the teams) hints that he might want to leave, the fans almost always have a 'Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out' attitude.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It'll be nice for Chris when he finally gets his unrestricted free agency, something few players will likely ever have to wait as long as him to get again, that he can go to a champ. THats the nice thing about being a UFA. YOu get to choose where you want to go for the first time.

St Louis is a team that will obviously be screwed in a new order. They have been late to the rebuilding era, and this will be the decade of the teams that built properly. IF I was Pronger, Id want to get out of there as fast as possible too

degroat*

If you think St Louis is a team that will 'obviously be screwed' then you're not looking very closely at all. Try again...

myrocketsgotcracked

thinkwild said:
It'll be nice for Chris when he finally gets his unrestricted free agency, something few players will likely ever have to wait as long as him to get again, that he can go to a champ. THats the nice thing about being a UFA. YOu get to choose where you want to go for the first time.

its nice for the players and the rich teams, but its bad for the rest of the league. a great player leaving a "weaker" team to join the champ, oh sure, that will make the games more interesting, we have 10 teams that dominate and 20 teams that cant compete with them, that sure is healthy for the league.

thinkwild said:
St Louis is a team that will obviously be screwed in a new order. They have been late to the rebuilding era, and this will be the decade of the teams that built properly. IF I was Pronger, Id want to get out of there as fast as possible too

if a team is paying me $10M/yr to play hockey, i would want to get out of there as fast as possible too.

Blueski

Jun 26, 2002
Southern Illinois
Visit site
X8oD said:
another part of this article quotes pronger as saying he sees the end of his days in St. Louis

"Dreger: Do you at times question your future with the Blues, or do you think you have reason to question your future?

Pronger: "I would say so yeah, I would think after this CBA is settled, when it's all said and done, I'll be unrestricted. You know when I was a restricted free agent I was able to talk to a few teams a gauge their interest and see where I fit into the mix with those teams that I spoke with."

Maybe I overlooked it or just missed it all together, but where in this article or any links to this article did you see this? I am not saying he didn't say it, I just don't see it in anything related to this article.

I think all players probably questioned their tenure with a team at one time or another, Borque did, Gretzky did, why not Pronger? I would hate to see him leave (read: crying uncontrollably into my Blues jersey), but I would understand it with wanting to get a Cup (Stanley that is ;) ).

BTW...Dabo, you don't have a Pronger Jersey do you??? :joker:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Pronger is being a hypocrite.He says less PR,more negotiations,but what is he doing:PR and he's a player rep. :dunno:

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Blueski said:
Maybe I overlooked it or just missed it all together, but where in this article or any links to this article did you see this? I am not saying he didn't say it, I just don't see it in anything related to this article.

I guess the article isnt the same one. The topic was the same so i just assumed.

i am referring to this article, which also quotes him as saying hes already talked to other teams.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20041021_143026_5624

Brent Burns Beard